U-17 qualifying news

CONCACAF has finalized the details for its world under-17 qualifying tournaments with Canada headed to Culiacan, Mexico, for a four-team tournament in May. Canada will open May 17 against Honduras before tackling Haiti on May 19 and host Mexico on May 21. The other CONCACAF event goes April 12-16 in Costa Rica with Cuba, El Salvador and the U.S. filling out the field. The two tournament winners will advance to the world under-17 championships Sept. 15 to Oct. 2 in Peru. The runners-up will meet in a home-away playoff to decide who joins them.

Venue Tug-of-War: Canada's under-17 men's team heads to Culiacan, Mexico, in May for a world qualifying tournament that also includes host Mexico, Haiti and Honduras.

Canada was supposed to host that qualifying tournament, at Canada Games Stadium in Saint John, N.B., but CONCACAF asked that it be moved.

Kevan Pipe, COO of the Canadian Soccer Association, said Canadian officials had always said they intended to hold the tournament in Saint John's 5,000-seat venue.

"It seemed to be fine and all of a sudden they (CONCACAF) demanded a 10,000-seat facility," Pipe said.

Complicating matters is the fact CONCACAF then asked the CSA to switch the venue to Victoria, whose stadium also seats less than 10,000.

The CSA refused. "We made a commitment to Soccer New Brunswick that we would bring a CONCACAF qualifying championship to New Brunswick," Pipe said.

CONCACAF then moved the event to Mexico.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Venue Tug-of-War: Canada's under-17 men's team heads to Culiacan, Mexico, in May for a world qualifying tournament that also includes host Mexico, Haiti and Honduras.

Canada was supposed to host that qualifying tournament, at Canada Games Stadium in Saint John, N.B., but CONCACAF asked that it be moved.

Kevan Pipe, COO of the Canadian Soccer Association, said Canadian officials had always said they intended to hold the tournament in Saint John's 5,000-seat venue.

"It seemed to be fine and all of a sudden they (CONCACAF) demanded a 10,000-seat facility," Pipe said.

Complicating matters is the fact CONCACAF then asked the CSA to switch the venue to Victoria, whose stadium also seats less than 10,000.

The CSA refused. "We made a commitment to Soccer New Brunswick that we would bring a CONCACAF qualifying championship to New Brunswick," Pipe said.

CONCACAF then moved the event to Mexico.

Aren't there stadiums in Canada that seat 10,000 ?

Isn't this a bizarre story? For a tournament of this size and magnitude I really fail to understand what there could be about Saint John that CONCACAF objected to. 10K or 5K stadia what difference does it make since we are talking about U17 qualifying tournament. Do you get the feeling that there are things that we are not being told?

Is there anyone on this board who has seen or is familiar with that facility? If you have/do, I'd be interested in hearing your feedback. ARGH, you seem to be the closest

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Do you get the feeling that there are things that we are not being told?

Is there anyone on this board who has seen or is familiar with that facility? If you have/do, I'd be interested in hearing your feedback. ARGH, you seem to be the closest

I live in Halifax but i'm from Saint John-

Here's some info on Canada Games Stadium in Saint John- Hope this helps explain something-

http://www.unbsj.ca/athletics/gallery/wsoc-0904.html

http://www.unbsj.ca/athletics/facilities.html

Archived