Barthez refuses to play after being hit by missile

argh1

Marseilles goalie Fabien Barthez pulled himself out of the game at St-Etienne after being hit by something thrown from the crowd during warm-up.

I've often wondered why fencing surrounded the field in France and I've seen many games stopped by the ref to allow smoke to clear from flares or to send security to some part of the stands.

Passionate fans are one thing but checking your brains at the box office is another.

To think in Canada we put up netting and high glass in rinks to protect the patrons they put up fencing to protect the players.

Certainly not to suggest Canadians are all well behaved intelligent folk. We've all seen the players jumping into the stands or stick swinging behind the bench brawls.

But I don't remember outside of High School games where fans have been seperated by team or there's been more security than consession sellars. I guess we're just boring go enjoy the game kinda folk.

I do recall though a few years ago that at both local and on the tube (yeas hockey) national games that throwing stuff on the ice was fairly common. How did Hockey Canada and the National No Hockey League stop this?

EDIT:

I know hockey references........just can't get the game outta the boy.

But I don't remember too many CFL incidents either and don't say those fans aren't passionate about their teams.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

But I don't remember outside of High School games where fans have been seperated by team or there's been more security than consession sellars. I guess we're just boring go enjoy the game kinda folk.

I do recall though a few years ago that at both local and on the tube (yeas hockey) national games that throwing stuff on the ice was fairly common. How did Hockey Canada and the National No Hockey League stop this?

Simple. They tripled ticket prices! [8)]

It's tough to beat St. Etienne fans when it comes to passion. They still have terraces behind the goal in their stadium and the fans back there are nuts! Comparing them to the squares that fill the lower bowl at NHL rinks would be comparing black to white.

Archived