U 20 World cup draw thread:

Free kick

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't the Conmebol U-20 Championship tournament held in Columbia? That means they had home field advantage for that whole tournament. I think that probably would have an impact on their performance in that tournament and also probably discount their rating at the World Championship. Somewhat anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Wasn't the Conmebol U-20 Championship tournament held in Columbia? That means they had home field advantage for that whole tournament. I think that probably would have an impact on their performance in that tournament and also probably discount their rating at the World Championship. Somewhat anyway.

Yes, it was in Colombia, and I agree with your sentiment. Not that I know much about these teams, but I'd fear Argentina (who were also undefeated in the tournament) and Brazil more.

Well a 4-3 loss to Chile, 1-0 win over Brazil and 1-1 with Argentina isn't as impressive when all those games were at home. I suspect playing in Columbia would be intimidating for any 18-20 year old. Much more than the Netherlands.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Yes, it was in Colombia, and I agree with your sentiment. Not that I know much about these teams, but I'd fear Argentina (who were also undefeated in the tournament) and Brazil more.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canso

So we have no need to fear Colombia and Syria.

Mister Alberto tell us about the Azzurini!

I followed a bit of this tournament here and Argentina did not have an easy time of it. Had problems developing their play and getting goals, had to work a bit too hard for their liking. Colombia seemed to be the only team able to open a game up, take apart a defense, get a few goals. But also get scored on. Sounds like a team we could get a goal down too and still come back, or vice versa.

quote:Originally posted by canso

So we have no need to fear Colombia and Syria.

Mister Alberto tell us about the Azzurini!

Canso what can I tell you the italians are putting more energy in this U20 team then they have in the past, infact they have most of there games already lined up prior to this event. Most of the players are in Serie A teams with the expection of a few players, however they and have been practicing more then ususal. I have already given you their schedule in the coming months games etc...

The players themselves are of good quality techically and well balanced front to Back. They have a pool of 60 players or more and yet to be determined as to who will be offically on the team.

The azzurri coach is well know to be modest and very conservative defensively and has made some good choice so far for preperation with the attutidude of saying little to the press.

However I think they will be much more ready, then the past as far as a team, and I expect as many do here, that they well get bye the first round and possibly further then ususal.

I Feel if Canada is to move forward as they should, the must look towards the older players! In theri pool. These will be the last time they would have a chance and they would give it all they have to show what they are for a reason as their final opportuntiy as a under 20, such as the players likes of Hughes, Uccello, Lalli, Dejong, Ledgerwood, Rivas, Gyaki, Kassaye, D agostino, Schiavoni, Hainault, Rosenlund, Wagenar, O’Neill, Begovic, Peetom, Ramalho, and these young fellows of Peters, Lombardo, Edgar, Deguzman, and thier time they have spent overseas to improve their quality of futbol with their clubs teams, that bring your list to 21 and another goalie is required to bring it to 22....

as far as this group there is no question that the youngest team will be Canada as the pool of players are not indciating that there is a lot out there to choose. SO if the Mister has the right comibtion of players I think that he will do well, but always experience and stats prevails and the thrust forward will have to be with the older players to do it for him and Canada specially if its their last chance at it.

Saying all this How I see it If Canada can get more goals then 2 in any of two of the the 3 games they will quailfy past Italy and Syria who lack scoring touch and problaby finish in second to Columbia in this case, but if they don't then they will finish 3rd and hope to have better record of 3 place team to move forwrd.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Well a 4-3 loss to Chile, 1-0 win over Brazil and 1-1 with Argentina isn't as impressive when all those games were at home.

Actually Colombia beat Chile 4-3. They tied Argentina 1-1 twice. Colombia and Argentina were both undefeated.

Regardless, I really feel that these qualifying tournaments tell us little. In that respect, I like the fact that teams are not seeded based on qualifying results.

My mistake... I reread it..

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Actually Colombia beat Chile 4-3. They tied Argentina 1-1 twice. Colombia and Argentina were both undefeated.

Regardless, I really feel that these qualifying tournaments tell us little. In that respect, I like the fact that teams are not seeded based on qualifying results.

Archived