FA Cup changes for 2006

argh1

Although the changes meet the needs of the top 3 or 5 clubs , I don't see how elimanting replays in rounds 5 and 6 for UEFA CUP and Champions League entrants helps the majority of the other 86 or 87 proffesional clubs.

Surley the Chelsea's,Man Utd's , Arsenal's, Liverpool's can and do have lot's of depth on their benches. So why should a Sheffield Utd, Leicester or any other Football League team not be able to reap the rewards of a replay and the television monies.

If the importance of the Euro Cups play is that important to the top 5 clubs why not just field a weaker side in FA Cup? They have the dough to have a deep bench.

Seems to me by helping the top 5 or 6 clubs you're hurting 86 other clubs who need the income generated by FA Cup.

Can you imagine the joy of ....say Burnley getting a 6th round draw with Man U, away .....no hopes of a home replay and the extra television monies, just because Man U can make more $$ playing Inter next week.

The FA needs to re-think this and realize that they are not helping the majority of their constituents only the top 5% of the clubs.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Or how about getting rid of the League Cup?

Personally I've often thought that the League Cup should be a pre-season tournament or maybe a winter break (?) tourney only involving Premiership and the Associated Members Cup (LDV VANS) should be given a higher profile involving Championship through Conference National clubs. Or elimanting all replays in domestic cups giving all an equal playing surface and leaving the cups stand although replays are what make the FA CUP....but then again I sit on this side of the Atlantic.

I've seen a lot of complaints about this because the FA is messing with 'tradition'. The fact of the matter is competitions evolve. They use to have endless replays, but that's not feasible today. The FA Cup introduced subs in 1967. I wonder how many 'traditionalists' think they should have kept the old rule, you know, for the sake of tradition.

I really don't see what the big deal of the decision is anyway.

Yeah, this totally sucks! The replays are what makes the FA Cup more or less fair. Now its a clear and significant disadvantage whenever you're drawn to play on the road.

There are some good articles in the March issue of FourFourTwo about how the EPL is becoming more and more like the SPL in terms of league-wide (un)balance. This is another step in that direction.

Bang on lads! Not many other sports in the world have replays...it's one of the charms of the tournament. In the last round, Arsenal kindof laid an egg at home, and good for the Blades to get a home match and take it to penalties at Brammall Lane. I would hate for that to end.

I compare replays in the FA Cup with unlimited overtime in Stanley Cup hockey (remember that?) It's a tradition that makes it unique.

I agree...ditch the League Cup. It's redundant now. There are simply too many games.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by argh1

The FA has decided that replays will take place but in mid-week and the FA CUP final will be the last game of the year in 2006.......compromise works best.

replays always took place during mid-week. The only change I see is that the QF's will also take place mid-week.

Archived