Canada Footie songs???

BusanBhoy

ok here's another in the litany of silly BusanBhoy questions (but a guy can't help wanting to know) - i have only had one expierience to see the Nats play live, and that was the Mexico game at Varsity. From my position (back row south end) I didn't even need to drop my fly to count the local support around me. Suffice to say, I've not been involved in any sort of Canada Firm, as it were. So I wonder:

Are there any Traditional or popular songs for our team?

If so what?

If not. Should there be?

If so what would be good? Is there a Canadian "fields of athenry", a Canadian "rule britania"(not that that song is anything but pish, but you get the idea), a Canadian 'arirang"?

i gess such songs need to be easy, common to the support, and speak to (at least on some level) what the counrty, team, place is all about. Any thoughts? Ideas?

(any suggestions for 'snowbird' will be met with a vulcan eyebrow)

Cheers

Well, I don't have to tell you I like a good song. Having said this, there's a beauty in the simplicity of the southsider chants here in Vancouver. My personal favourite is "You're going home in big white ambulance!"

The learned folks in Edmonton have apparently introduced some rhyming: "We're red, we're white, we're fighting dynamite, canaduh, canaduh, etc..."

Still a chant, not a song.

Here's one verse of a song from CR @ Swangard:

"They don't have no education

They don't have no birth control

Hey, Tico! Make your way back home!"

I can't understand for the life of me how actual, real songs catch on in football. Still, it's pretty cool when they do. Celtic must have been thinking WTF? when YNWA came streaming down on them in Hartford!

the Edmonton rhyme smacks or weakness but the CR one is brill. that would be awesome if there were a fair number of voices involved - those on the way to seattle take note.

As for the Celts in Hartford (by the way stadiums surrounded by parking lots in suburbs are atmosphere killers - I dont care what anyone says) they simply looked to the heavens - to an onlooking Rodgers and Hamerstien (its not a spelling forum) - and thought to themselves, we must have taught these scousers well.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

At the Legends Soccer indoor thing at the ACC, I was making up my own damn songs.

(to the tune of the Pompey Chimes http://www.pompeychimes.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=2 )

Play up les rouges.

Les rouges play up.

Other ones were just basic singing of "Canada" to various tunes... of which I do not know the names of. Go to www.footballchants.org and make a bunch up. We should have a song section done by the end of the summer, no?

To the tune of Heartbreak Hotel, for the Elvis people, you know who you are.

Well, since we hired Frank Yallop.

We been doin a lot of cryin.

All the money is going to MLS.

And the World Cup dream is dyin.

Gotta fire Frank Yallop, bahby.

Gotta fire Frank Yallop.

Gotta fire Frnak Yallop, before its too late.

ah, thankyaverymuch

We need to make up a Voyageurs song, like the Philosopher song, where you take the names of the team and rhyme it out in verse.

Like so:

Iain Hume, Iain Hume has hair like a broom,

But he will chew your leg off.

Lars, Lars caught a touch of SARS,

but fills the goal up nicely.

Kev, Kev still drives a chev

and never needs a haircut.

A work in progress...

quote:Originally posted by canso

To the tune of Heartbreak Hotel, for the Elvis people, you know who you are.

Well, since we hired Frank Yallop.

We been doin a lot of cryin.

All the money is going to MLS.

And the World Cup dream is dyin.

Gotta fire Frank Yallop, bahby.

Gotta fire Frank Yallop.

Gotta fire Frnak Yallop, before its too late.

ah, thankyaverymuch

:)

tee-hee-hee!!!

Archived