Canadians abroad: March 4-10, 2005

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Saturday, March 5

12:30 PM (15-minute tape delay) on Sportsnet — England: Premier League

Norwich (Jim Brennan - injured?) vs. Chelsea

4:15 PM on Bell ExpressVu PPV / Festival Portuguese Television (FPTV) — Portugal: Superliga

Penafiel (Fernando Aguiar) vs. Porto

Sunday, March 6

11:30 AM (26-hour tape delay) on FSWC — Germany: Bundesliga 1

Bayern Munich vs. Werder Bremen (Paul Stalteri)

Tuesday, March 8

8:00 PM (77-hour tape delay) on FSWC — Scotland: Premier League

Rangers vs. Inverness CT (Richard Hastings)

Wednesday, March 9

12:00 AM (9.25-hour tape delay) on TSN — UEFA Champions League: Round of 16, Second Leg

Lyon vs. Werder Bremen (Paul Stalteri)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 4-10, 2005.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Well, not much happening with our Canadians in England on a Saturday:

Radzinski sat on the bench as Fulham drew Charlton 0-0.

Brennan watched from the stands with his sore ankle as Norwich fell to Chelsea 1-3 (would've been great to see Jim play in this one).

No sign of De Vos as Ipswich fall to Wigan 0-1. I'm thinking suspension, I see he got booked in the last contest against QPR. Maybe he put the cleats to Bircham for yapping too much. Troubling for Ipswich, they sit in third after being in first or second of the Championship all season.

Bircham plays 73 minutes as QPR and Reading draw 0-0.

Peschisolido subbed on in the 64th minute as Derby beat Plymouth 1-0.

Millwall play Leeds tomorrow, let's hope Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux see some action.

Tranmere and Iain Hume lose to Hull 1-3; a loss that deals Tranmere's automatic promotion hopes a blow. Hull now sits 7 points up on Tranmere in second place. Hume went the whole way.

Simon Rayner watched from his usual vantage point for Lincoln as they lost to Wycombe 2-3. I'm not sure where that vantage point is but it sure ain't the field or the bench.

In the Ryman Premier, Elliot Godfrey's Hampton & Richmond Borough lost 2-1 at Salisbury City in a poorly-officiated mud bath. Godfrey was brought off in the 67th minute.

In Ryman Division One, Mika Dronyk's Bashley won 1-0 at home against Whyteleafe. For the second straight week, there was no sign of 19-year-old BC-native Dronyk. Today (Sunday) the Bashley Reserves travel to Lymington Town, so perhaps Dronyk will feature in that.

Josh Simpson starts for Millwall and assists on the first goal of the game. 1-0 Millwall over Leeds at the half:

16:17 GOAL - Paul Robinson

Millwall 1 - Leeds 0

Shot by Peter Sweeney (Millwall) drilled right-footed from right side of penalty area (18 yards), save (tipped round post) by Neil Sullivan (Leeds). Inswinging corner from right by-line taken left-footed by Peter Sweeney (Millwall) to centre, headed goal by Paul Robinson (Millwall) (bottom-right of goal) from right side of six-yard box (6 yards).Millwall 1-0 Leeds. Assist by Josh Simpson (Millwall) from centre of penalty area.

Edit: Josh plays 90 minutes in the match, which ends as a 1-1 draw. First start for Simpson in some time, I think. Serioux stays on the bench.

ola, sou brasileiro e ja morei no canada, em toronto, eu realmente amo o canada, é um pais fantastico. Eu joguei em um clube durante o tempo que fiquei, e gostaria de voltar e ajudar o país a ingressar em uma copa do mundo. well now in english! hi, im brazillian and i lived in toronto, i really love Canada it is a wonderful, fantastic country. i played in a little club during the time that i lived there and i would like a lot to help Canada partipate of a world cup! ok... thank you very much //// eriksenkristensen@hotmail.com /// http://kristensen.fotoflog.com.br

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Josh Simpson starts for Millwall and assists on the first goal of the game. 1-0 Millwall over Leeds at the half:

16:17 GOAL - Paul Robinson

Millwall 1 - Leeds 0

Shot by Peter Sweeney (Millwall) drilled right-footed from right side of penalty area (18 yards), save (tipped round post) by Neil Sullivan (Leeds). Inswinging corner from right by-line taken left-footed by Peter Sweeney (Millwall) to centre, headed goal by Paul Robinson (Millwall) (bottom-right of goal) from right side of six-yard box (6 yards).Millwall 1-0 Leeds. Assist by Josh Simpson (Millwall) from centre of penalty area.

Edit: Josh plays 90 minutes in the match, which ends as a 1-1 draw. First start for Simpson in some time, I think. Serioux stays on the bench.

The BBC report says that J. Simpson missed a sitter from a yard out that would have given Millwall the win. Too bad for JS.

Fernando Aquiar came on in the 52nd minute as Penafiel were defeated 2-1 by Porto on Saturday.

Rocco Placentino plays 51 minutes in Cavese's 0-0 tie with Potenza in Serie C2C today.

Julian Uccello plays the entire match as Savona lose 2-0 to Voghera in Serie D Girone A today.

David Masciantonio plays the entire match and scores the first goal of the match in the 36th minute as Monterotondo defeat Rieti 2-1 in Serie D Girone E today.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Caught the bit of the Werder-Lyon match at the start but didn't see how badly it got.

Is Stalteri's contract up?

Is a Champions League pummelling in the Round of 16 a good reason to leave a club? Should all the Canadians not involved in Champions League (the other 99%) be leaving their clubs?

Bremen are on track to be in Champions League again next year so it should take a De Guzman-like move for Stally to leave, I would imagine.

I believe Stalteri and Werder Bremen have been talking but i don't think they have the cash that other clubs have.

Stalteri can probably earn twice the money or more when he leaves. A champions league spot ain't gonna mean much when theres a truck load of money in the driveway.

Guest Jeffery S.

Saw the goals from the Werder game. I think Paul was only near as a defender on two of the seven. On the third (I think it was), a good long shot from outside the box, Paul was holding position in front of the scorer, no real defensive error there, just a good shot and perhaps weak keeping. On one of the last he was beaten running back on a counter. Apart from that it was one of those days to forget for Werder, who now have to concentrate on the league. With Bayern still in Champions, and with the Bayern-Schalke coming up, they still have a chance to make up lost ground.

Don't know if this has been discuss before or not on this thread. But having just check the cbc soccer tracker, I noticed that Kluka's profile for FC Brugges still shows zero minutes played. Is he injured or is he riding the pine for Brugges? If it were the latter, I would find it odd that they would spend that kind of dough on the transfer Mkt for someone to sit.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Don't know if this has been discuss before or not on this thread. But having just check the cbc soccer tracker, I noticed that Kluka's profile for FC Brugges still shows zero minutes played. Is he injured or is he riding the pine for Brugges? If it were the latter, I would find it odd that they would spend that kind of dough on the transfer Mkt for someone to sit.

how much did they pay for him?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

I am still looking for the figure and will post if I find it. What I recall from what I read is that he had a year left on his contract and was one of two players on La Louviere who was deemd to have any significant value on the transfer market.

Archived