Canadian Clubs rankings over 20 years

argh1

I suppose it's a make as you will ranking .....but here it is from CSA site

National Championships

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Lac St. Louis Lakers Consolidate Top Club Position

As a result of sending 3 teams to the 2004 Canadian Club Championships (‘CCC’) and winning one gold and one bronze medal, the Lac St. Louis Lakers consolidated their position as Canada’s leading amateur club over the past twenty-one years – the period during which the current CCC format has been in force. The Lakers widened the gap between themselves and their closest rivals, St. John’s to 49 points. The top 20 clubs are listed below and the full updated report can be found under the ‘Documents’ section on this website. [ view report ] (pdf)

THE TOP 20 CLUBS - COMBINED SEXES - ALL CATEGORIES

Club / Prov. / # Appear. / Pts.

1. LAC ST. LOUIS LAKERS / QC / 33 / 290

2. ST. JOHN’S / NF / 58 / 241

3. DARTMOUTH UTD / NS / 39 / 236

4. SCARBORO’ UTD. / (F) / ON / 22 / 195

5. ST.BONIFACE/ST. VITAL / MB / 34 / 181

6. BURLINGTON / ON / 18 / 169

7. LAKESHORE (F) / QC / 18 / 154

8. CALGARY CELTIC / AB / 20 / 146

9. OAKVILLE / ON / 16 / 142

10. NORTH SHORE / BC / 16 / 136

11. RIVE SUD / QC / 18 / 133

12. BURNABY / BC / 16 / 128

13. EDMONTON S.W. UTD / AB / 16 / 114

14. SHERWOOD PARK / AB / 14 / 106

15. DUNBRACK / NS / 18 / 102

16. LETHBRIDGE / AB / 12 / 100

17. WINNIPEG NORTHWEST / MB / 16 / 100

18. WEXFORD (M) / ON / 10 / 95

19. DONAIR / NS / 13 / 93

20. KILCONA / MB / 18 / 91

Note:

(F)= All points from Female competitions only

(M)= All points from Male competitions only

Other highlights of the updated report are:

1. 286 different clubs have now participated in the CCC over the past twenty-one years.

2. St. John’s takes over second place overall from Dartmouth United. (Table A.1 of the Report)

3. On the male side, the Lac St. Louis Lakers extend their lead over the number two club (Dartmouth United), with only Winnipeg Northwest improving their position in the top ten by moving up into 3rd position. (Table A.2)

4. On the female side, St.John’s narrows the gap by 10 points on leading club Scarboro’ United. (Table A.3)

5. Most impressive newcomer: First Touch of New Brunswick, who sent five teams to their first CCC in 2003 and entered the overall standings that year in 117th position, leapfrogging 162 clubs in the process, jumps another 30 places in 2004 to 87th position. (Table A.16)

6. St. John’s (NF) increases its lead in the ‘Most Appearances by a Club’ category with 58 appearances, almost 50% more than its closest follower, Dartmouth United. (Table C.26)

7. From an inter-provincial standpoint there is little change with Ontario maintaining its lead in the Overall Combined and Female categories and B.C. just holding off Ontario’s challenge for top spot in the Overall Male category. (Table B.19) Quebec ousts Alberta from 3rd place in the Overall Combined category while Saskatchewan catches up with Newfoundland to share 7th spot. No changes in the Senior categories but in the U-19/U-18 category Alberta dislodges B.C. from 2nd place on the female side while Saskatchewan passes Manitoba on the male side.(Table B.21) In the U-17/U-16 Female category Quebec overtakes Alberta to secure third place and Newfoundland overtakes Saskatchewan in the Combined category. (Table B.22) Finally, in the U-15/U-14 Female category, Alberta edges ahead of B.C. into third place while New Brunswick catches up with P.E. I. on the male side. (Table B.23)

8. Ontario continues to lead the Gold Medal chase with 69 overall, comfortably ahead of its nearest rival BC with 48 (Table C.32)

9. Provincial Highlights :

• ALBERTA : Edmonton Victoria continues its impressive progress by adding another 24 points and moving up another place in the overall standings (Table D.33)

• B.C. : Second place Burnaby closes the gap for the second year running on frontrunner North Shore (Table D.34)

• MANITOBA : Winnipeg Northwest consolidates its hold on second spot overall(TableD.35)

• NEW BRUNSWICK : Fredericton overtakes Moncton to claim top spot in the female category and now leads the province in all three categories. (Table D.36)

• NEWFOUNDLAND : the domination of St. John’s continues! (Table D.37)

• NOVA SCOTIA : Dunbrack consolidates its second spot overall (Table D.38)

• ONTARIO : North York Azzurri and North London make significant moves in the Combined table, with the Azzurri overtaking Malvern and Scarboro’ Maple Leaf on the male side and North London moving up seven places on the female side. (Table D.39)

• P.E.I.: Stratford barely holds off Sherwood Parkdale for first place on the male side. Meantime the Charlottetown Abbies consolidate their leading position from both a combined and female perspective. (Table D.40)

• QUEBEC : The Lac St.Louis Lakers consolidate their leading overall and male positions. Rive Sud closes in on Lakeshore for second place overall while both Dynamo Quebec and Panellinios improve their standings. (Table D.41)

• SASKATCHEWAN : Hollandia consolidates its top overall perch, overtakes both Regina Nationals and Regina Austria to take top spot on the male side and ousts Saskatoon Huskies to take second place on the female side. (Table D.42)

• YUKON: The Yukon Falcons joined the other four clubs that have so far carried the Territory’s colours at the CCC. (Table D.43)

This website is the official website of the Canadian Soccer Association. Copyright

© 2005 Canadian Soccer Association. All rights reserved.

Quite a misleading poll. Sure, St. John's may be up there if you follow this format, but what does it really mean? It is much easier to advance to the Nationals if you have next to no competition. Just look at other provinces, such as Ontario, BC, etc. To win the Provincial Cup there, and advance to the Nats has got to be 1000 times harder than to make it through in NFLD. No offence to that province, but an entry from there is an automatic 3 pts for most other participants. Success should be measured not only by number of appearances, but also by success in the competition (All-Time Won-Loss-Tie record, which would then be converted into a point structure).

quote:Originally posted by Gloucester in FLA

Quite a misleading poll. Sure, St. John's may be up there if you follow this format, but what does it really mean? It is much easier to advance to the Nationals if you have next to no competition. Just look at other provinces, such as Ontario, BC, etc. To win the Provincial Cup there, and advance to the Nats has got to be 1000 times harder than to make it through in NFLD. No offence to that province, but an entry from there is an automatic 3 pts for most other participants. Success should be measured not only by number of appearances, but also by success in the competition (All-Time Won-Loss-Tie record, which would then be converted into a point structure).

While I agree that it is easier to win NFLD as opposed to QC or ON, I'll disagree about the guaranteed 3 points comment, especially since one of the teams made it to the final a few years ago.

i look at the smaller provinces this way - i liken them to how clubs from lower leagues do well against premier sides around the world. if you are playing at the tops of your league it doesn't really matter what league that is, you have immense confidence in yourself, and your teammates and that goes a long long ways. i mean, when the club world championships comes around i bet the MLS do not get the hiding they probably should get based simply on the fact that they are being told how great they are the entire year by american media and coaching. you know?

take that same new foundland team and play them in the vancouver metro league or even the fraser valley premier league and i guarantee you they struggle to finish mid-table.

Lac Saint-Louis Lakers isn't really a club

It's more a regional selection

Good players of the area (Montreal West Island) have no other choice to play there

It's like a huge organization (thousands of players)

I don't know how it works in other provinces

Something like this is something the CSA should focus on. This is one way of improving clubs in Canada. There could be a financial reward or even just the exposure which would lead to more players, coaches, sponsors, etc.

I agree that the ranking system needs to be changed. 20 years is way too long. And qualifing from Quebec/BC has to be given more weight than Saskatchewan or Newfoundland.

A better way to look at it is to divide the points total by the number of appearances. Since the ranking is meant to reflect the CCC only (and not the strength of the provincial associations), and a team from a weak province still has to compete against a (supposedly superior) team from a stronger province, the overall playing field is even. The ranking is then is the strongest 20 clubs based on their 20 year historical point total.

WEXFORD (M) / ON / 9.500

BURLINGTON / ON / 9.389

OAKVILLE / ON / 8.875

SCARBORO’ UTD. / (F) / ON / 8.864

LAC ST. LOUIS LAKERS / QC /8.788

LAKESHORE (F) / QC / 8.556

NORTH SHORE / BC / 8.500

LETHBRIDGE / AB / 8.333

BURNABY / BC / 8.000

SHERWOOD PARK / AB / 7.571

RIVE SUD / QC / 7.389

CALGARY CELTIC / AB / 7.300

DONAIR / NS / 7.154

EDMONTON S.W. UTD / AB / 7.125

WINNIPEG NORTHWEST / MB / 6.250

DARTMOUTH UTD / NS / 6.051

DUNBRACK / NS / 5.667

ST.BONIFACE/ST. VITAL / MB / 5.324

KILCONA / MB / 5.056

ST. JOHN’S / NF / 4.155

quote:Originally posted by manunited

Just wondering where the Abbotsford Mariners rank in. Considering how they were the first to win back to back national championships in 2002 and 2003.

I don't buy any of this. It's like trying to rank US College Football with all its different divisions, which to me has always been stupid. It's Apples and Oranges stuff. The only stat that I would look at for deciding which of the smaller clubs are best, is attendance.

On the field, it's impossible to determine a ranking without actual playdowns. And if you went by national club championships, then Westside Rino from Vancouver should be way higher on the list having won the cup several times.

of course a national ranking where teams do not play each other and play in different provinces with different competition is flawed...but we need something like this in Canada...it will promote competition and it will further promote growth...it would be nice to see a top 20 men's and women's rankings in the paper every week...the USA Today does it with all sports...could you imagine the Globe having a top 20 every week discussing each teams strength of schedule etc... and then one team believing it should be ranked higher than the other...this would lead to teams wanting to play teams and in tournaments that they would never dream of...not only would this bring recognition to teams and clubs but to players also...we all know a national ranking would be highly debated but the more we talk about it and the more it gets out there to more the game gets noticed

quote:Originally posted by manunited

Just wondering where the Abbotsford Mariners rank in. Considering how they were the first to win back to back national championships in 2002 and 2003.

The full rankings of all 286 clubs who have competed in Canadian Club Championships are listed here CSA documents in PDF starting on page 22.

I see no problem with the system or maybe I'm just touchy being from a small province. But then again the same whine happens whenever Maritme's anything appears in national rankings.

I like the idea of the rankings. Starting debate is a good thing.

If the CHL can rank it's 56 members or the CJAHL can rank it's 138 teams spread over 10 leagues . Then what's the problem with the CSA ranking Canadian Clubs. The only question is, did it really take 20 years to compile the data?

But whatever the system there will always be debate with rankings. At least we are talking about Canadian soccer.

Also it's about time we say something on our amateur clubs. Without speaking dastardly of the CPSL , we really only have 3 pro teams in Canada, which leaves the majority of us these amateur clubs to support. As the pro parade of teams may never happen in most of our beloved country

EDIT: Just to follow up on the small province theory. Either the smallest province (by population @ 139,000) Prince Edward Island or the 3rd smallest (751,000) New Brunswick don't send teams to CCC or the competion is strong enough in these provinces that different clubs constantly represent the Provinces ? Since neither of these small provinces have clubs ranked in the top 20 ! Being a Maritimer it always irks me that the ROC forgets there are 2 million of us living in this small land mass we call the 3 Maritime provinces. 2 1/2 if you count Newfoundland & Labrador. There are only 4 provinces with populations over 2 million and I'd hate to compare the land mass of these provinces compared to the total of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, & New Brunswick.

It's not our fault the Upper & Lower Canadians came a courtin' in 1864 to form a Confederation that started in 1867 . With PEI opting out 'till 1873. Unless someone wants to re-write the terms of Confederation this country is stuck with 3 small provinces. Hey Saskatchewan or Manitoba ain't much bigger than NS or NB.

Canadian Povincial & Territorial population counts from StatsCan

the top three or four teams in the vancouver mens soccer league can easily be ranked in a national ranking system at or near the top if the ranking system was for semi-pro teams in canada.the level of play in the winter months is very competitive.

Archived