Why we need to send our best team to the Gold Cup

Paddy

Hi,

Besides evaluating Frank Yallop, we want to win this thing (or be the highest placing CONCACAF team) so that we are a)Invited to the South American Championships - 2008 (Venezuala) b)Partake in the Confederations Cup - 2007. This would give us at least 2 major tournaments to compete in before/during the next WCQ.

I think the years are correct for these tournaments.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Hi,

Besides evaluating Frank Yallop, we want to win this thing (or be the highest placing CONCACAF team) so that we are a)Invited to the South American Championships - 2008 (Venezuala) b)Partake in the Confederations Cup - 2007. This would give us at least 2 major tournaments to compete in before/during the next WCQ.

I think the years are correct for these tournaments.

With the USA and Costa Rica in our group, the best we really can finish is 3rd. We need to get our program in order before worrying

about winning the Gold Cup again, or those other tournaments you have just mentioned. Cuba won't be any pushover either, so as long as

we don't perform as pathetic as we did in the WC qualifyers,lets just use this tournament as a learning tool to get younger players on the squad. I can't even see the most loyal of Voyageurs supporters,believing we have a chance to win this thing.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

I think winning this gold cup would still get us into the Confederations Cup because it's usually held in June while the gold cup is in July.

The teams for the next Confederations Cup (2005 in Germany) are already set. So this should qualify us for 2007.

Really what I am after here is making sure that we have games and do not have to realy on the CSA to set them up for us as they did a piss poor job prior to this qualification.

I really think to stand any chance in this tournament we need our strongest team, we need Stalteri. Sending the team that played NI, IMO, equals an early exit.

I will be in Seattle, but I am keeping my expectations low.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

The teams for the next Confederations Cup (2005 in Germany) are already set. So this should qualify us for 2007.

Really what I am after here is making sure that we have games and do not have to realy on the CSA to set them up for us as they did a piss poor job prior to this qualification.

I really think to stand any chance in this tournament we need our strongest team, we need Stalteri. Sending the team that played NI, IMO, equals an early exit.

I will be in Seattle, but I am keeping my expectations low.

Paddy, in mid-December FIFA announced that there will be NO Confederations Cup in 2007, as it will be only every 4 years now. So, the winner of this summer's Gold Cup may be invited to the next Copa America, but they will not go to the Confederations Cup in 2009, as the 2007 Gold Cup winner will be the invitee for 2009.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

With the USA and Costa Rica in our group, the best we really can finish is 3rd. We need to get our program in order before worrying

about winning the Gold Cup again, or those other tournaments you have just mentioned. Cuba won't be any pushover either, so as long as

we don't perform as pathetic as we did in the WC qualifyers,lets just use this tournament as a learning tool to get younger players on the squad. I can't even see the most loyal of Voyageurs supporters,believing we have a chance to win this thing.

We won in 2000, with what most would consider a lesser talent pool, and just as tough competition. I will say however that anyone expecting us to be a shoe in at winning the cup needs to get their heads checked. It’s a long shot to just get past this pool let alone winning the thing. But you never know, in 2000 we had a hot keeper and plenty of luck; this time around we got a better over all team, (at least on paper) so maybe it will balance out. Lets just hope Yallop can field a decent team this time.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Paddy, in mid-December FIFA announced that there will be NO Confederations Cup in 2007, as it will be only every 4 years now. So, the winner of this summer's Gold Cup may be invited to the next Copa America, but they will not go to the Confederations Cup in 2009, as the 2007 Gold Cup winner will be the invitee for 2009.

Hmm..now that you mention that I seem to remeber that. Oh well, Copa America would still be sweet and give us some street cred if we showed up and did reasonably well.

Please Frank, no more wierd line-ups, exclusions and experiments.

quote:Originally posted by denis

We won in 2000, with what most would consider a lesser talent pool, and just as tough competition. I will say however that anyone expecting us to be a shoe in at winning the cup needs to get their heads checked. It’s a long shot to just get past this pool let alone winning the thing. But you never know, in 2000 we had a hot keeper and plenty of luck; this time around we got a better over all team, (at least on paper) so maybe it will balance out. Lets just hope Yallop can field a decent team this time.

Lets hope he will pick a keeper and don't be scared to replace him if he has a poor game. Onstad should have been replaced during wcq, but Frank stuck with him and were out yet again. Also he needs to get away from trying to be a offence team and lets build from the back,

we have a better chance of winning a 1-0 game then a 3-2 match.

IMHO the 2000 squad was much better, better coached, better team play,

and yes a bit of luck helped. If we don't get any pre gold cup games

under our belt, Frank , like him or not won't have much chance to succeed.

Archived