Fill in the Portugal roster as it comes in

Daniel

I was courious to know if Paul Stalteri would be playing in Portugal

game. This was the response I got via his website

=======================================================

Hello Nigel,

On behalf of Paul Stalteri, we would like to thank you very much for your support. Unfortunately Paul hasn't been contacted regarding the Portugal game and can't comment on the plans of the CSA.

All the best,

Paul Stalteri's Website Team

www.paulstalteri.com

unexplained snubs with Holger

Always thought Holger was pretty good at giving explanations of why he snubbed who he snubbed.

Onstad sucked, Watson was too old, Bircham was a chirpy little malcontent, Radzinski on principle, anyone in North American soccer was not good enough...except in desparate times!

quote:Originally posted by canso

Onstad sucked, Watson was too old, Bircham was a chirpy little malcontent, Radzinski on principle, anyone in North American soccer was not good enough...except in desparate times!

And it might not be neither here nor there, but didn't Bircham quit because he wasn't played in Japan after he brought his father over to watch or something?

Too bad he's out of the fold again too. He was fun to watch when they came to Ottawa last June. Oh well.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Once again for people's memories, Radzinski came back to the fold under Holger.

And Onstad was #1 before the 2003 GC in the US, only a minor injury to Onstad gave a chance to Lars to play in the tournament. So Onstad was #1 at the end of the Holger era.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

And it might not be neither here nor there, but didn't Bircham quit because he wasn't played in Japan after he brought his father over to watch or something?

Too bad he's out of the fold again too. He was fun to watch when they came to Ottawa last June. Oh well.

Yes, I agree. Bircham should still be in the fold. Sometimes you need a guy with that kind of personality on the team.

I am hoping Bircham gets called for Portugal. To me, he was one of the best players on the side against Wales when he came on in the second half. Dominated the midfield (which up to that point had been pitiful with Hutchinson and DeGuzman showing their youth), created space for himself and layed the ball off nicely. He is the type of player we could use against the Portuguese as he may throw them off their game. Lets face it, we are not going to beat them passing and will have to defend for long periods of the game. Somebody in the middle like Bircham can certainly help especially as he is not so one dimensional anymore and can pass and retain the ball.

Archived