Goalkeeper Depth

Joe Keeper

It looks like Lars Hirschfeld and Greg Sutton are Vying for places 1 and 2 but after that its up for debate. It looks like Kenny Stamatopolous and Andrew Olivieri are being considered for the #3.

We need alot stronger depth at this position for the future. Who should we be calling or considering for the job?

There are alot of people on the radar, one I think is worth a look for the future is Amim Karim. He seemed confident and played well in the last u-20 WC.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody knows the goalkeeper of the futue is Dani Fernandes.

He's been in Europe since he was 16. Spent a few years in Porto, a year with Celta Vigo, and now is the 2nd choice for his Greek team. All we need now is for him to get a call from Canada. The Portugal game sould be that time. Here's hoping.

I'm surprised people on this board are that high on Fernandes, a kid we've never seen and who just last year was cut from the U-23 and the U-20 at the expense of NCAA keeper (Wagenaar, Karim and Olivieri).

I think that the fact that he's currently with a greek team is very good for his future, but I'm not ready to call him our next #1 or even think that we should invite him for a friendly game. Let him developp into a good keeper before we consider him for the national team. He's very young for a keeper and training at the pro level so that's positive for the future but we should not jump over the board.

As for Sutton and Hirshfeld, I think that if we play 3-4 games before the GC including the Portugal game, FY should have the time to identify which one should start in the GC.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm surprised people on this board are that high on Fernandes, a kid we've never seen and who just last year was cut from the U-23 and the U-20 at the expense of NCAA keeper (Wagenaar, Karim and Olivieri).

I think that the fact that he's currently with a greek team is very good for his future, but I'm not ready to call him our next #1 or even think that we should invite him for a friendly game. Let him developp into a good keeper before we consider him for the national team. He's very young for a keeper and training at the pro level so that's positive for the future but we should not jump over the board.

As for Sutton and Hirshfeld, I think that if we play 3-4 games before the GC including the Portugal game, FY should have the time to identify which one should start in the GC.

I'm really not trying to argue, because I think you know a lot about keepers and I don't know piss all. However, it seems to me that 2nd at PAOK is a big step up from #1 at Hump State. Further, don't keepers typically develop at a different rate than most players? Even if the Canadian youth squads always picked the best future pros, could you extrapolate the results of youth performance in this position to the pros? Finally, shouldn't you be equally surprised in the faith in Lars? What has he done to earn so much respect? The reason I rated Fernandes over Hirschfeld is that the former looks to have a future while the latter is in his third consecutive lame-duck situation. Anyway, just throwing it out there for debate.

haterz, haterz everywhere! :D

We have nothing to lose and everything to gain in giving Fernandes a shot. We can't lament a lack of goaltending depth when a possible candidate isn't given a shot and judged on age group performances.

Some current national team members wouldn't be in the side if we went on that criteria alone.

Give him his shot, if he flames so be it and then we know.

I would say that Fernandes is definitely a future goalie to keep an eye on over the next few years, but it really seems to me that it would be jumping the gun throwing him in their for a start against Portugal when he really hasn't been involved with the National team or part of any camps with them yet. Whether we like it or not, the battle for #1 right now is between Sutton and Lars with Kenny waiting in the wings. We do have some good young ones coming up the pipeline in Karim, Begovic and the other goalie for this years U 20 team (Wagenar ??) I think... As far as Lars is concerned, at first I thought it was bad luck that he could not find a long-term job with a club as a keeper, but after seeing him get released by team after team after team in short contracts I'm starting to think that maybe the coaches in Europe are seeing some flaws in him they don't like. You'd have to think that at least one of those teams would have scooped him up long term if they really liked what they saw..

First, the NCAA is not a bad place to develop good goalkeepers (Friedel, Keller, Walker and the MLS keepers except a certain canadian in SJ have all been there).

Second, most goalies peak between 25 and 35, most national team will start guys over 25 years old (yes Spain and some others do start younger guys but most coutries don't).

In the past year Fernandes was cut from the U-23 and the U-20, unless something change in his situation I don,t see why he should be given a chance ahead of the guys who were selected ahead of him. I'm not saying that Fernandes isn't a good gk, I have never seen him (like 99% of the people on this board), but I would prefer to let him mature as a gk before throwing him in a national team game, when guys like Sutton and Kenny are playing regularly. It's very positive that he's now a back up with PAOK, but we don't know what the club would do if the starting if their starting keeper would be injured or retired. Would they purchased another keeper or would they start Fernandes? Lars has been there with Spurs, he was there as an insurance purpose.

As for Lars, I have always thought that he had major flaws in his game(crosses, technically unorthodox and not very good with his feet) since the first time I saw him against Martinique and I have more faith in Sutton for the future (but I'm not sold on him either).

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

For the same reason Owen Hargraves was cut. Because the Canadian coaches din't think he was good enough.

Jeffrey has had contact with Daniel, he probably know better.

Dale Mitchell seems to be a very competent coach to recognize talent, I would not say the same about Twamley.......who ignored Occean for the Olympic team.

My point is that people are way to high on a guy we've never seen and that our national team coaches have cut from their teams. I'm not saying he won,t be a good keeper, I'm only suggesting that at this moment maybe we have some better options that aren't playing in Europe.

Regarding Lars, and what might be holding him back from securing longer-term employment and a starting role...

He is a bit like Dracula...scared of crosses. A great shot stopper (which makes him a good training 'keeper for a squad) and fearless...but suspect with his distribution. The modern game needs better foot skills and a command of the box.

He lacks those qualities, unfortunately. And England is a crap spot for him to try and get a starting spot - with the amount of balls served into the mixer, he is bound to look shaky. Coming back to the A-League would be a demotion for him, to be sure.

I understand why he might be content to move about from team to team overseas - financially, it makes sense. Surely his pay would be over and above what he would get with the Lynx or any other side mentioned as a potential stop.

Watch for Asmir Begovic - he will be the business in 2 - 3 years time.

I can't think of anything Lars has done to loose number 1, nor anything Sutton has done to claim it. However, Sutton has also not done anything to take himself out of the running for number 1. Right now, it is clearly between those two, although Kenny Stamatopolous warrants more of a look. A side play for those guys. B side play for the rest. I susect that Fernandes will ultimately claim the prize as too many "big" clubs see something in him...he is young, may not be ready now, but in 4 years...

Keeping is all about mental toughness. The skills are nice, and a skilled mentally tough keeper will be better than a less skilled mentally tough keeper. But it is a position where you either have the royal jelly or you don't. For Canada, Forest had it. Onstad did not. I don't know if Hirschfeld, Sutton or Stamatopolous do or don't. That needs to be determined.

You guys aren't being fair to Hirschfield. I had the same misgivings about him at one time -- great reflexes, amazing agility, but often nervous, hesitant and terrible at moving the ball forward. But in his last few outings I was impressed with his improvement. I thought he showed a lot more confidence and distributed the ball well. Lars may not have had much first team action, but he's at least had some good coaching during his travels.

All the same, we need someone who's playing regularly. I wouldn't be at all surprised if our starting keeper is someone other than Sutton or Hirschfield by the time the next WCQ comes around.

I would like to see Karim again. I was impressed with his play for the U-23s.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

I would like to see Karim again. I was impressed with his play for the U-23s.

Was that you carousing in the end stands in Guadalajara with a bottle of tequila in one hand and a senorita in the other, wrapt in a tattered Canadian flag to cover up your misdeeds, Chetty? You sure changed your appearance from the Aviator's matches when you go south.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I can't think of anything Lars has done to loose number 1, nor anything Sutton has done to claim it. However, Sutton has also not done anything to take himself out of the running for number 1. Right now, it is clearly between those two, although Kenny Stamatopolous warrants more of a look. A side play for those guys. B side play for the rest. I susect that Fernandes will ultimately claim the prize as too many "big" clubs see something in him...he is young, may not be ready now, but in 4 years...

Keeping is all about mental toughness. The skills are nice, and a skilled mentally tough keeper will be better than a less skilled mentally tough keeper. But it is a position where you either have the royal jelly or you don't. For Canada, Forest had it. Onstad did not. I don't know if Hirschfeld, Sutton or Stamatopolous do or don't. That needs to be determined.

I didn't know that Hirshfeld was our #1, I thought it was Onstad and now both of Sutton and Hirshfeld are battling for it. So I think that at the moment no one can loose the #1 spot, they can only win it.

One thing is clear, if we want to qualify for 2010(that seems so far away) we need a very good keeper, not the same kind of keeper Forrest was (incredible shot-stopper who can keep you in the game after saving 20 shots in the first half in Mexico City), no we need a keeper who can make one or two big save per game and avoid mental mistake (a la Onstad against CR).

At the moment I don't think we have that type of keeper, but we have time and let's hope we can find a solution to this.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

You hit the nail on the head, Gordon.

I would also add that the ability to lead/direct/organize/"motivate" the players in front of him adds to a keeper's aura. Many of the great ones had that kind of "moxy" about them. When I was growing up Peter Shilton was my hero: great talent and tremendous leader. Fast forward to another Peter, as in Schmeichel: size, athleticism, intimidation . . . for both teammates and opponents alike!

The most viable option is Kenny Stamatopolous. He has always attended when Canada called (even when it ruined his career in Greece).

He recently attended the national team camp this January and shut-out the Honduran club team.

He played in the Greek First and Second Division for years with Kalamata, and has been the starting keeper for his clubs in Sweden in the First and Second Division.

Until DF can break into the first team and play real games (the reserve system in Greece is not great), the choice is clear: Time to give 'Super Kenny' a shot.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Considering our current situation should we be discounting anyone?

I think not.

Is someone suggesting we should discount a GK? My point is we aren't playing 100 friendlies/year so we have to make a choice of who we call and before we call Fernandes we should call the guys that were selected ahead of him last year (not 5 yrs ago, last year).

The good thing about the camp in Florida for the goalkeeping point is that FY had the chance to take a look a 2 goalkeepers and decided if they belong in the program or are they prospect for the future.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

My point is we aren't playing 100 friendlies/year so we have to make a choice of who we call and before we call Fernandes we should call the guys that were selected ahead of him last year (not 5 yrs ago, last year).

I don't see that as a wise way to tier or select goalkeepers (or any player for that matter). The last 12 months have to have some impact on how players are selected, particularly for camps where prospects are identified and ranked in terms of their future and current worth to the program.

That said, I don't think you discount past performances anymore than you discount current form and situation. Obviously past performance does mean something thus Hirschfeld's continued involvement, but current or recent form means something too, thus Sutton's involvement.

I believe a meshing of all those factors should put players on equal footing in terms of their worth for a call-up to a camp, friendly or otherwise. It will then be up to Fernandes or any other player to play their way into consideration for final team selection.

Archived