Second Wheelock Article - Interview with Peddie

An Observer

Very encouraging indeed....

MLSE President Richard Peddie explains why Toronto should be an MLS city in 2007

Story Tools: Print Email

Fox Soccer Channel

Posted: 3 hours ago

Last week in this column, I presented my case for Toronto being awarded an expansion franchise in Major League Soccer.

MLS Wrap cohost Sean D. Wheelock writes about American soccer every Thursday.

Now, I give that opportunity to the man at the forefront of the Toronto bid. I spoke to Richard Peddie, President and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, at his office in Toronto.

Sean Wheelock: Where do the current negotiations stand between your Toronto ownership/investment group and MLS?

Richard Peddie: We've expressed strong interest to Major League Soccer, have met with (MLS Commissioner) Don Garber three times already, and (MLS Chief Operating Officer) Mark Abbott twice. We've expressed why Toronto, the nation of Canada, and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment would be an excellent choice if they were considering additional expansion.

It's moving along. If we were to acquire a franchise and launch it, it would be for two years this April (the 2007 season). We're not dragging our feet, but at the same time we don't have to move with lightning speed. It's being done in a very orderly fashion.

MLS Preseason

Sat., March 5, 8 p.m. -

Columbus vs. Real Salt Lake

All times ET, subject to change.

SW: Are you having regular discussions with MLS?

RP: I think you could characterize them as regular. Don (Garber) and Mark (Abbott) were here in Toronto on Wednesday (February 16). They stayed for the (NBA's Toronto Raptors) basketball game and sat courtside with our chairman Larry Tanenbaum.

SW: Are all of the discussions about acquiring an MLS expansion franchise, or has there been talk of purchasing an existing club for relocation?

RP: The relocation word has not shown up. We've been thinking that our team is going to have significant Canadian content. And moving a team to Toronto, would give us an existing roster which would not be the type of roster we would want here in Canada.

SW: How vital is the new stadium in Toronto to your bid?

RP: One of the keys is the right place to play soccer. We'd like to think that the crowds will get up to 25,000 at some point. But on average it will be below 20,000. And you don't put crowds below 20,000 into something like Sky Dome that seats 54,000 for soccer.

It' not an intimate building, it's a multi-purpose facility, and it doesn't lend itself to soccer. What the CSA (Canadian Soccer Association) and the (Canadian Football League's Toronto) Argonauts are creating at York University is a very intimate building. The seats are going to be six meters from the playing field. We think it will be a wonderful soccer building.

SW: Will field turf rather than natural grass definitely be installed?

RF: Yes, it's going to be field turf.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, a viable economic entity, made a $180,000 contribution to the South Asia tsunami fund at an NBA game between the MLSE owned Toronto Raptors and the Boston Celtics. (Ron Turenne / GettyImages)

SW: Have the football lines from the Argonauts games been addressed?

RP: I've asked that question, and been told that you can take them off or clean them off the field turf.

SW: Who would be the primary tenant at the new stadium, the Toronto MLS club or the Argonauts?

RP: For scheduling it would be the Argonauts. But I think that you could argue that with 20 plus games for us, versus 10 or so for the Argonauts, even with conservative estimates, we believe that we would be over 40% of the actual guests coming to the building.

SW: Why did Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment decide to pursue an expansion franchise in MLS?

RP: We go through a major strategic exercise every October. Our Board is not only interested in winning championships, but in increasing enterprise value. When we went through the strategic exercise, it was very apparent that we are running out of runway in how to grow revenue.

Our suites are all sold out, our sponsorships are all sold out. We look at our growth initiatives in three bundles. We're interested in facilities. We already have three sports teams, the NHL (Toronto Maple Leafs), the NBA (Toronto Raptors), plus an American Hockey League team that we're moving to Toronto next year, and we're looking for a fourth team. MLS fits that. And we concentrate on broadcast, and we think there could be a broadcast play here as well.

SW: In your discussions with MLS, has the issue of the currency difference and exchange rates been addressed?

RP: Currency has come up. We've introduced the idea, but nothing has been resolved.

SW: Have you spoke with the league about the issue of citizenship classification as it would pertain to Canadian players on a Toronto MLS club?

RP: That's not resolved. We've had three meetings, and we're still really at the start of this process. It's something like currency that has been brought up. One of the points we really made to them, is that you're not moving into Utah, you're not moving into Los Angeles. You're moving into a foreign country, and so this expansion is different. It really needs a solution that's made for Canada.

Poll: MLS expansion

SW: Would a Toronto MLS club try to attract many of the Canadian internationals currently with clubs in the U.K. and Europe, and make attempt to make it Canada's Team?

RP: We'd like to, and we think that's important. We really think this can help grow soccer in Canada. We see what MLS has done for the American program. That's not lost on us. We understand that there is a need to have Canadians play for National Team reasons. But at the same time, what sells is great product. The deal I have with my general managers in hockey and basketball is put the best product out there and fans will follow.

SW: Has the issue of FIFA been raised, in regards to how they'll react to a Canadian club joining MLS?

RP: Don (Garber) has never said, we're interested in you, but we've got to get over this. He's never raised it as a concern.

SW: Have you had close contact with the CSA since you began speaking with MLS?

RP: We've known (CSA Chief Operating Officer) Kevan Pipe for a long time, and have met with him a number of times. For this to succeed we need a really strong three party partnership: MLS, CSA, and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

SW: Would there be any financial partners included with your bid?

RP: It would solely be our group.

SW: Have you had any discussions with the USL's Toronto Lynx regarding your interest in acquiring an MLS franchise?

RP: We're certainly aware of them, but we've had no discussions.

SW: What is the timetable for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to ultimately be awarded an MLS club in Toronto?

RP: It's moving along at a pace that we're comfortable with at this time. Because MLS would be expanding into a foreign country, it's not cookie-cutter. It's not as simple as the other markets. I imagine that it will take most of this year, and I think the ball is in both of our courts.

SW: Are you optimistic that you will have an MLS club in Toronto in 2007?

RP: I'm cautiously optimistic, yes.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I'm not one of the usual suspects, but I will challenge Wheelock for not following up on the "MLSE is interested in winning championships" line. 1967, anyone? :)

But I'm sure that was going to come to an end this year except for some unfortunate circumstances, n'est pas? ;)

Like I stated the last time, this thread will self-destruct in 10, 9, 8 ... :D

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I'm not one of the usual suspects, but I will challenge Wheelock for not following up on the "MLSE is interested in winning championships" line. 1967, anyone? :)

To defend MLSE, i can't believe that i am doing this, having an interest and having an intent are two different things sstackho.

Interest: Can be like window shopping or browsing.

Intent: In the store and ready to buy.

Ahhh that Richard Peddie, keeping the illusion alive.

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

To defend MLSE, i can't believe that i am doing this, having an interest and having an intent are two different things sstackho.

Interest: Can be like window shopping or browsing.

Intent: In the store and ready to buy.

Ahhh that Richard Peddie, keeping the illusion alive.

Exactly.

I'm interested in doing naughty things to Eva Longoria, but I know that she has no intent on reciprocating my feelings :D

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Exactly.

I'm interested in doing naughty things to Eva Longoria, but I know that she has no intent on reciprocating my feelings :D

Unfortunately she's intent on lavishing those feelings on Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs despite what we're all interesting in doing to her. [V]

Already a United in the MLS (DC), they wouldn't allow it. If the Blizzard is not obtained, then "Toronto City" would sound good and have some historical legitimacy. They were in the old Eastern Canadian Professional Soccer League, 1961 to 1965.

see: http://www.rsssf.com/usadave/ecpsl.html

It has a good clean ring to it and is not artificial sounding like Raptors or Beavers.

As for colours, hopefully they will stay away from blue. Go for something new. I would like to see a clean kit like the KC Wizards, Red Wings or Leafs have, with that one colour. Looking at the team kits (including the new ones now) of the MLS, it looks like both Green and Orange have not been used , so grab one of those two and stick with it.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Already a United in the MLS (DC), they wouldn't allow it. If the Blizzard is not obtained, then "Toronto City" would sound good and have some historical legitimacy. They were in the old Eastern Canadian Professional Soccer League, 1961 to 1965.

see: http://www.rsssf.com/usadave/ecpsl.html

It has a good clean ring to it and is not artificial sounding like Raptors or Beavers.

As for colours, hopefully they will stay away from blue. Go for something new. I would like to see a clean kit like the KC Wizards, Red Wings or Leafs have, with that one colour. Looking at the team kits (including the new ones now) of the MLS, it looks like both Green and Orange have not been used , so grab one of those two and stick with it.

Hey, the Windsor/Detroit Border Stars have orange and look like clowns in the all-organge. Do you really want another team to make jokes about?

Oh wait, since it's Toronto it should be alright. Orange it is.

I hope that if the MLSE is a go with the MLS, that they can rapidly manufacture some of that Pavlovian conditioning that is being a Leaf fan onto the soccer team - but doing so out of 'intent' rather then 'interest'. This way, regardless of the product that the Toronto Stevedores*(you read it here first) manage to put on the field, the stadium will be packed with people, and bay street big wigs will be clambering to get play-off tickets to watch the Toronto -Metro Stars play-off tussle. Actually this last part may not be such a good thing.

Joking aside, I hope it succeeds, as the MLSE, regardless of their 'interests', would be a financially stable owner who would be willing to wait out the bumpy water of the beginning years.

*a long shoreman.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I still don't buy any of this. My explanation is in the previous thread.

which is the following:

quote:

I can't see MLSE going through with this. They are not interested in soccer, they are interested in making money, that's it. There just isn't enough of a payoff here, if any at all.

Well any venture, be it a modest Orange Julius stand in some crappy mall to a professional sports team requires both seed money to begin AND a stream of cash to keep it afloat. So, an interest in money has to be there. So from a money stand point, there really isn't an issue to discuss.

But i don't know what to make of this 'they are not interested in soccer' view point. Do you mean to say that only people with genuine interest in something are ALLOWED to start franchises? Must the intent be of soccer first, business second for any franchise? Are the various other teams of FC Barcelona -they have basketball, handball, and roller hockey teams- questioned/suspect because they are not the soccer team?

I think the importance of establishing a franchise first is more important then the intention that is behind the franchise, because ultimately after some time, people will forget why the team was established and concentrate solely on the performance of the team. Isn't that where the focus of fans' appreciation should be, on the team and not the ownership?

Players forge the identity of a team, not the ownership.

SW: Have you spoke with the league about the issue of citizenship classification as it would pertain to Canadian players on a Toronto MLS club?

RP: That's not resolved. We've had three meetings, and we're still really at the start of this process. It's something like currency that has been brought up. One of the points we really made to them, is that you're not moving into Utah, you're not moving into Los Angeles. You're moving into a foreign country, and so this expansion is different. It really needs a solution that's made for Canada.

Poll: MLS expansion

SW: Would a Toronto MLS club try to attract many of the Canadian internationals currently with clubs in the U.K. and Europe, and make attempt to make it Canada's Team?

RP: We'd like to, and we think that's important. We really think this can help grow soccer in Canada. We see what MLS has done for the American program. That's not lost on us. We understand that there is a need to have Canadians play for National Team reasons. But at the same time, what sells is great product. The deal I have with my general managers in hockey and basketball is put the best product out there and fans will follow.

MLSE is a for profit business dealing in sports entertainment. It is not a charitable organisation, any benefit to Canadian soccer derived from an MLS investment will be very much a secondary consideration - how many Canadian players are there with the Raptors of the NBA? That's exactly the way it should be with any professional sport, it is a business first and foremost, focussed on making a profit. They are not there to do anybody any favours except their shareholders. People need to remember this also when advocating so hard for a fulltime Canadian professional soccer league.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

[

Doesn't sound like a commitment to putting a lot of Canadians on the field. Sounds more like the NASL where you line-up ten foreigners and one token Canuck. After all, that's what sells, and RP makes it perfectly clear what their going for. "Go Canada's Team Go" (That token Canadian player will probably come from BC anyways) [}:)][}:)][}:)]

It sounds like as much of a committment as any one can reasonably expect them to give. There will obviously be rules to prevent a Canadian team from putting out 11 foreign superstars on the field at once - or even a vast majority. Not only would the CSA (who MLSE indicates are necessary to make this work) not be interested, but neither would the MLS. The only question is whether US players would count as internationals or domestics - will they go back to the old NASL rule (not counting North Americans as foreigners for any team, regardless of whether they are located in the US or Canada), or try a a different one?

It is interesting to consider how competitive a Toronto team with Canadian restrictions placed on it would be. Are there enough Canadian players willing to play in the MLS to field a competitive team? What happens if it isn't? (Or what if it became too good?) Would a second Canadian team dilute the talent available to the first team? A random mathematical guess would be that since the US has 10x the population of Canada, perhaps a ratio of 10:1 American:Canadian teams would be reasonable.

Or are Canadian teenagers who are good at soccer more willing to move overseas than their American counterparts? Is it correct to say that salaries in the MLS don't compete with even Europe's lower tier leagues?

Anyway, just a bunch of random thoughts...

quote:Originally posted by Richard

MLSE is a for profit business dealing in sports entertainment. It is not a charitable organisation, any benefit to Canadian soccer derived from an MLS investment will be very much a secondary consideration - how many Canadian players are there with the Raptors of the NBA? That's exactly the way it should be with any professional sport, it is a business first and foremost, focussed on making a profit. They are not there to do anybody any favours except their shareholders. People need to remember this also when advocating so hard for a fulltime Canadian professional soccer league.

I agree completely. If I were in the MLSE's position, I would do exactly the same thing. I would sign the best available players, regardless of their nationally, that I could afford. However, what I wouldn't do is give the Canadian public the snow job that they are being given right now during the process of trying to obtain the franchise by saying that this would be beneficial for Canadian players and beneficial to Canada's soccer program overall. That would only apply if the Canadian happen to be good enough. Any enterprise that is not forthright and up front with its sale's pitch, lacks the kind of integrity that I would consider supporting. So let's cut the krap and call it like it truly is. The Raptors never made any of these ludicrous statements when they came to town, did they. Were going to be Canada's basketball team. Yeah right. Maybe if there was a Canadian worthy of making the team and that player was available when the system that the NBA uses says, "Okay Toronto, it's your turn to pick a player." However, here we again get another snowjob that insinuates the the MLS is going to change their rules to accommodate a potential Canadian franchise. Please, cut the B.S.

As far as the CSA needing to be involve in this 3 party coalition, I would hazzard to say that they are the least essential of the trio, as they really don't bring anything negotiable to the table. What consideration does the CSA have to offer the MLS?

quote:Originally posted by Robert

However, what I wouldn't do is give the Canadian public the snow job that they are being given right now during the process of trying to obtain the franchise by saying that this would be beneficial for Canadian players and beneficial to Canada's soccer program overall.

So you think having a Toronto based MLS team would not be good for Canadian soccer?

MLSE has not made any commitments to anybody about employing Canadian players. They have suggested nothing more than that it would be a grand opportunity for Canadian players. Depending upon your point of view most marketing could be regarded as a snow job Robert. When was the last time you believed everything any advertiser told you? MLSE are very good at what they do, running a sports entertainment business profitably.

Anyway, even if the club starts with only a couple of token Canadians, just think what a motivation that would be to up and coming players, to be good enough to crack the team! Right now I can't think of anything that would be better for raising the profile of Canadian soccer and presenting an opportunity for players for world class soccer at home. The USL Division One Candian teams would be a superb feeder system for such a club.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

I dunno I think Toronto will have to be inclouded in the name. Heck the Toronto Anythings as long as I can see MLS action

I agree although something with a truly Canadian inference would be desirable if Blizzard couldn't happen.

Even "Toronto Maple Leafs" would work for me although we do already have two teams by that name.

db

Archived