Will Johnson signs with Chicago Fire

bc_soccer_fan

Guest Jeffery S.

I find it odd that he gets listed with an Illinois hometown by our CSA on their call-up announcements, when he was born in Toronto. I know they are different, but this has caused some confusion. I finally discover this Discovery was actually born in our land.

I agree it is a bit odd. For the U20's they listed Marcel De Jong's hometown as Toronto, when he was raised in the Netherlands, but they didn't list Toronto as Johnson's hometown. Not a big deal, though.

Now do you know whats gonna be really confusing? The Fire have another guy who is a rookie and his name is Will John.

Glad it finally became official. The Fire board on BigSoccer had been talking about the team using a discovery pick on him for a few weeks now, but now it's in writing. Great for him so he can develop and not have to leave home. I'd imagine he'll be in the reserve side and we'll likely see him in Holland in the summer. Good stuff.

Some other information from Big Soccer where the General Manager of the Fire Peter Wilt posts. He stated that there is an error in the press release and Will Johnson will not count as a Youth International but as a domestic player because he holds a green card.

This makes good news even better because it allows the team more patience with his development. Interesting stuff.

Archived