Voyageurs Scarf Idea

Polish_LYNX_Fan

quote:

I'm a bit concerned the contrasting sides might look a bit weird wrapped around your neck -a little too busy. I'd like to vote #18, side "a," if that's an option.

I think that's one strong point about #18: Text aside, the two sides are relatively similar. I agree though, two sides that look like they came from two different scarves would look cluttered.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 not bad, 7 is best so far for the V's side, for the Canada side 18's pretty cool...drop the gold cup thing ...tis a supporter scarf not a comemoration of a specific event... no gold cup makes it 'timeless' and the "change the word to 'soccer' so people can understand me (sniff sniff snort snort - someone give me a tisue) people" - "get off yersel"

p.s. get some black around the Canada letters so they stand out even more...very sharp that

7 and 18...i also think the gold cup thing doesnt fit. it makes it look like a commemorative scarf for that single achievement.

the more red than white the better, i think.

i am also not sold on the "canadian soccer supporters"...it says that in the logo...it doesnt need to be said 3 times on the same scarf...i would prefer, allez les rouges and maple leaf forever on both sides...maybe switch them up top and bottom or something.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I like the Gold Cup because it was a tournament with top rated sides and we beat them... not just simply scraped by either. Canada beat Mexico, beat Columbia and tied Korea. Right now, that looks pretty sweet for a side that was ranked, what, 76th at the time?

The gold medal thing (if my history is correct) was a bit of a blunder since there were only 4 teams and the other three were American. It was barely an olympic event, really... doesn't show we beat anyone as much as it was achieved by default (the two greatest words in the english language).

We should take the best designs and put a poll to it or something. I'm lost right now.

HamiltonSteelers' #1 and #2 pretty much as is and Jarrek's #18. That's my vote anyway.

Soccer, football. Makes no difference to me. That Gold Cup thingy has got to go though. Those little gold stars seem to be all the rage these days so if you gotta, maybe just a wee star tucket up on one end with the date. Something like that.

Whatever is finaly decided on (and maybe we'll see more than one?) it's nice work all around.

this Cheeta lad makes a really good point, those little stars (WC, EC, Euro Club champs, what have you) are all the rage. Those that wan't to acknoledge the Gold Cup seem very strong on the idea, so maybe a little star suits all. It needn't even come with a date (in a best things are left unsaid kind of way) and could be a talking point for those that wish to highlight its meanning. We could add a second if we ever win it again (this year sounds as good as any) (besides we'll probably still be discussing merits of said scarf come July) or simply leave that one unexplained star (Gold standing out from the other colours used) to represent any and all that the individual wearer wants.

I don't really understand the desire to recognize the GC. Many people in other threads like to slag it. Like many others, I don't like the reference. My reason is that it's way too literal. I hate to envoke my namesake, but what do Gerry & the Pacemakers singing broadway show tunes have to do with football? So anyway, here's my slightly abstract suggestion:

Heart of Gold

It's gold, it's Canadian, and it reflects the main reason we won in 2000 -we just wanted it more. I also think it's slightly less fromage than "Maple Leaf Forever." Then again, it's probably also copyright material. And it's probably too late.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

How about we just scrap everything we've come up with thus far and just cover the scarf in Stan Rogers lyrics?

I thought "Maple Leaf Forever" was a Stan Rogers lyric.;)

Anyway, I think "Allez Les Rouges" is great on it's own. I just hope any future references to the GC will avoid using the colour gold at all costs. Sad to say, but the Liverpool "You'll Never Walk Alone," scarf is horrid for that reason.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Stan Rogers? I was thinking Avril - "did ya think that I was gonna give it up to you...?"

That would make for a great two-sided scarf. We could then flip it over to reveal a resounding "HELL YA!"

P.S Incorporated into the "Hell ya!" would be the Gold Cup.

I like the two coloured Maple Leaf from Jarrek's no. 7. It is rather distinctive and original. It would be nice if it could be incorporated into whichever design is chosen. I also like having both Allez les rouges and The Maple Leaf Forever. Maybe if we are going to have a vote we should start a new thread and narrow it down to 4 or 5 final designs as there are now too many to make a good poll.

Archived