A word to the wise..............Women of Soccer

insideWsoccer

I hope all the women that are going to be trying out for this so called "PRO" (WCPSL) womens league/team relize that if they are a college prospect and are thinking of going to a college in the states that this will jepordize there eligibility and if they are already a scholarship player this will relieve them of there eligibility and any funds they receive for the future......think about it the USL W-League ranked #2 in the world behind Sweden does not use the word "PRO" just because they do not want to disqualify their college players THEY KNOW THE RULES. check with the NCAA before you even think of making this unorthodox move into a league that cannot even take care of their own house (CPSL)let alone add this burden.....

Just a word to the wise..............

And what Canadian W-League team do you work for again?

Give me a break there are many players in the CPSL that play college ball in the states...they just dont get payed...like most of the players anyways.

If the womens league does go out im sure there none of the players will be payed so there would be no danger.

No danger according to whom? The NCAA is fanatical about payment, and so is the CIS. I'm sure you've heard of the UofT players who forfeited the season by playing in the CPSL.

So its not as far fetched as you may think. I know for a fact that the girls in the NCAA on the Inferno could not accept payment (also includes gifts; ie kit). There are ways to get around it, and make no mistake, NCAA players ARE getting paid in the w-league, just not in ways that a normal footballer would get paid.

The women's game depends a LOT more on college for skill development, when you've got a full ride at a NCAA school, why would you give that up just to play in the CWSPSLALSL? I'm not advocating either wleague or any other league, but the Wleague has the aura of non pro status, which is good enough for the colleges, something that the 'pro' leagues don't have at the moment. Why chance a potential $30000 a year gift for 3 or 4 months of soccer at an honestly questionable level?

Lets be honest about the NCAA, The W-league and Canadians.

In reality a very small percentage of Canadians girls playing the game- even at an elite level- go onto to play NCAA on a scholarship. According to soccerbuzz.com there are only 26 Canadians in the recruiting class of 2005. There are currently 305 NCAA div 1 programs.

Not a very high percentage.

The Ottawa Fury W-league team had only 3 CIS players on it's roster last year. The rest were NCAA players. So what does the W-league do for players from Ottawa or even the top CIS players? Not much it seems.

We need a league in Canada that develops a larger player pool. The W-league currently does not meet that need, nor will it in 5 years.

A WCPSL just might be able to do it. There are too many good Canadian based university players without a place- to take their game to the next level.

We need to continue to improve the CIS game. We need to have a senior league where Canadians players are respected and looked at. In the end this will only help develop the women’s game in Canada.

Furthermore, the original post presumes that every talented young female soccer player wants to or should go to university. If you're intelligent and talented enough to make the most out of a (possibly) free American university education definately consider your options but I'm sure that there are a lot of post-University women in this province who would like a higher caliber of play than their local senior league and if it includeds the occasional paycheque - however small - how is that a bad thing?

Not that I plan to watch any games.

Mike.

I think the important question here is, why? And what are they on?

Why are they setting up a women's league? Besides the fact they can't run a men's *pro* league, what are they trying to prove?

I guess they are trying to keep out the W-League, so much for working with the Canadian USL teams, but I think everyone will look at the W-League as a step above the W-CPSL, just as on the men's side.

Oh well, whatever...

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I guess they are trying to keep out the W-League, so much for working with the Canadian USL teams, but I think everyone will look at the W-League as a step above the W-CPSL, just as on the men's side.

Oh well, whatever...

Elias, did you read the long Vince Ursini interview that was posted here a few months ago? He basically lays out the vision of the CPSL sees itself as and that's one step below the A-League as an elite amateur/semi-pro league that gives younger talent a place to be groomed in a more competitive environment. He acknowledges that the CPSL is in no way competative relative to the A-League on the pitch. My question is: WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS? We all know that one of the biggest problems this sport has in this country is that talented players drop out of the game or aren't pushed hard enough after the age of 16. If you're not getting a scholarship what is there for you... playing the same bunch of jobbers your top OYSL team beats every year for two more seasons? If the CPSL is successful (not saying that it is 100% right now) and provides a springboard for even one kid a year who makes the A-League (or a lower European league) who would have otherwise been overlooked then it's providing a service to Canadian soccer beyond the one it provides to its (few) fans. If a WCPSL provides the same service to W-League teams then it too will find a niche near the top of the Canadian soccer pyramid.

Again, not that I plan on watching any matches.

Mike

Archived