Will the Gold Cup be a proper test for Yallop

Paddy

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Canada needs to start winning with a bit of style, if they lose while

playing better football so be it, but no more games like the one in,

Belfast, that was terrible.Canada needs to gets it's own Canada cup tournament going again, bringing in teams that:

a) put fans in the seats

B) are exciting (brazil,holland,sweden,etc.)

I fail to see what positive aspects a 'Canada cup tournament' would do for Canada right now. I'd rather see the CSA use the cash to stage the tournament put towards more friendlies and preparation.

In addition, I don't think being dismantled by superior teams at home is the best way to boost interest in your home side. This would merely confirm the arm chair critics' assertions that Canada indeed does suck, and that's why they follow another national team. Imagine if you were from Hong Kong, in the stands on wed. feb. 9th,and watched Brasil dismantle your home side 7-1. Do you honestly think this would garner greater support for the home side? No. Just more fuel for the sceptics. The CSA should be trying to generate interest in the team, not disgust.

As for style over substance, hmmm. I don't think the Greeks complained too much when they won the 2004 Euro through a dull, defensive, counter-attack style. If you remember the final, the Greeks only had one shot on goal, and it was the one that mattered. Good coaches work with what they have, not with what they want. So to expect Canada to unleash a style of play akin to the Puskas era Hungary side, or the Cruyff era total football of Ajax, is well, insane.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

This is a serious and unnecessary distraction from the Hexagonal.

Yes, though in all likelihood, considering the crap nature of the Hexagonal system, where teams can lose a ton of games & still qualify or finish in 4th, and where half the teams in the Hex are of mediocre quality by Concacaf standards, the US & Mexico will likely already have de facto qualified by the time the Gold Cup is played - halfway through the Hex. Both will likely be able to afford to bring their best team if they want (Euro-club committments aside). Not that I expect them to.

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

I fail to see what positive aspects a 'Canada cup tournament' would do for Canada right now. I'd rather see the CSA use the cash to stage the tournament put towards more friendlies and preparation.

In addition, I don't think being dismantled by superior teams at home is the best way to boost interest in your home side. This would merely confirm the arm chair critics' assertions that Canada indeed does suck, and that's why they follow another national team. Imagine if you were from Hong Kong, in the stands on wed. feb. 9th,and watched Brasil dismantle your home side 7-1. Do you honestly think this would garner greater support for the home side? No. Just more fuel for the sceptics. The CSA should be trying to generate interest in the team, not disgust.

As for style over substance, hmmm. I don't think the Greeks complained too much when they won the 2004 Euro through a dull, defensive, counter-attack style. If you remember the final, the Greeks only had one shot on goal, and it was the one that mattered. Good coaches work with what they have, not with what they want. So to expect Canada to unleash a style of play akin to the Puskas era Hungary side, or the Cruyff era total football of Ajax, is well, insane.

First a side like Brazil would fill any Canadian Stadium, thus putting money into the CSA budget for more friendlies down the road.

And we were not exactly dismantled by Brazil the last two times we

have played them. Most people follow other national teams because of

family history, it has nothing to do with Canada being good or not,

if we got into the Fifa top ten those people would still follow the

team of their choice, we might a get a few more that would follow

Canada but not much more, once people stick to a side they stay there.

Brazil commands a substantial appearance fee and as a result the revenue going back to CSA would not be as imagined. I suspect Hong Kong paid a huge sum to get crushed by Brazil in front of their home fans. There is no doubt in my mind that the CSA would have to pay a similar appearance fee (then maybe we could get Molson to sponsor it as part of a Marca Bavaria promotion). And, there is always a risk of getting crushed regardless of our past record with Brazil.

Juaninho also makes a valid point about building a system and a style to suit the players you have.

I will also disagree with the thought that Canadians would not support a winning MNT. In fact, I think the support for the Women's U-19 in Edmonton for the final of the U-19 World Championship is an example.

I think a lot of Canadians are fans of world class soccer. The simple fact that Brazil could possibly fill a Canadian stadium in a place like Edmonton is evidence. I don't think you could find enough Brazilians in Alberta to fill Commonwealth Stadium. Granted, there are many who feel their old country also plays world class soccer.

Archived