Marcina joins Gbeke

Jannik

Hi

Just as Charles Gbeke, Alen Marcina has today joined Herfølge - the Danish Superliga club.

So far only for the remainder of the season (ends in late May).

There's a story (in Danish) at http://www.hb.dk/ - the official Herfølge web site.

Anyone who'd like to share their views on the two players, are very welcome to email me on jannikh@footballmail.com - I'm researching for an article for http://www.herfolge.dk/ - anything about their ability, popularity with fans etc. from their former clubs would be interesting!

Cheers,

Jannik.

For Charles Gbeke to be a citizen of the Ivory Coast (born there as well), I was wondering if Canada has ever considered to extent an invitation to play for Canada. Is he good enough for Canada or has he already played for the Ivory Coast??? If he hasn't yet been capped by the Ivory Coast, it will be wise for Canada to keep their eyes wide open on him, especially on his performance in Denmark. If this guy turns-out to be the next Oliver Occean in Dannish league, Canada should cap him immediately.

Well, so far he's been a moderate CPSL and Lynx player, so yeah, CAP HIM IMMEDIATELY FOR CANADA BECAUSE HE MIGHT BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Groan, this again? He grew up in Montréal and he's Canadian. If he's good enough (right now he doesn't seem to be), he'll earn a call-up and take it. We get burnt ONCE and some people are paranoid their entire life.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

CAP HIM IMMEDIATELY FOR CANADA BECAUSE HE MIGHT BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you're getting the hang of things the "There are no shade of grey" way. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Now you're getting the hang of things the "There are no shade of grey" way. ;)

Have you ever considered that probably the A-League and the CPSL may not have been his niche??? May be this guy was intended to play in a more sophisticated league. In fact, between himself and Marcina, he was the one that impressed the most at Herfølge during the trial, according to our Danish translator. Perhaps Gbeke has a talent that we are not aware off. I really don't know. But let's see how good this guy really is.

If Gbeke does start to score goals, in the same manner of the likes of Oliver Occean, in the Danish league, then I do think that Canada should keep their eyes wide open on him. If this guy really sucks big time, then obviously he will be getting his walking papers one way or the other.

Hi

I can confirm that Gbeke was the one attracting the most attention, and the one signed first. It does enter into the equation that a striker was what we really needed - and that's how he's been tested.

Marcina is reported to fit in well, aswell - but apparently need to improve his fitness.

Also, without wanting to disrespect anyone, Herfølge IS a poorish club, with the lowest budget in the best league. We were pretty desperate to sign a striker, since others had turned us down.

Re. his strengths - I was told that he played in midfield and in defence while at Whitecaps, which doesn't seem to be his best positions. Was that the case at other clubs too? I am under the impression he was used as a striker both Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton?

Archived