Feb 9 Friendly - N Ireland v Canada IN-match [R]

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by David C.

2049: David Healy's shot hits Canada keeper Greg Sutton at the far post as Northern Ireland search for an equaliser.

The shot hit him, what was Sutton doing there anyways? Sounds like they'd prefer him to get out of the way.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by David C.

2049: David Healy's shot hits Canada keeper Greg Sutton at the far post as Northern Ireland search for an equaliser.

The shot hit him, what was Sutton doing there anyways? Sounds like they'd prefer him to get out of the way.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by François

Are we playing England? ;)

BBC says he was "scampering around" with Beckham trying to keep out of his way. Sounds like Owen.

From Belfast, they call it "an awful night in every respect".

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by François

Are we playing England? ;)

BBC says he was "scampering around" with Beckham trying to keep out of his way. Sounds like Owen.

From Belfast, they call it "an awful night in every respect".

All I've got to say is how Gillespie avoided bookings is beyond me. Both his challenges on Simpson weren't mistimed, they were malicious "message" tackles.

As well, Serioux gets hacked down after the sending off. I automatically think the ref will hand out a yellow at least; but nothing.

Re: Gervais the first Yellow was harsh, the second probably a yellow. Similar NI fouls have gone unpunished. Two rule books today? Bernier moved to right back, DD to right mid and Reda from Right back to the middle.

Early thoughts, DD has been poor, our back line is not comfortable playing the ball amonst themselves, even though they are largely w/o pressure. Strong wind keeping Suttons goal kicks in our half. Mostly we are trying to keep the ball on the ground, but are not that adept at it so far.

Oh boy.

Text book goal. Booti-ful placement by JB with power and away-from-goal-english. Beautiful.

Sutton. Don't know if the winds got him all buggered up but he's way too timid. Nice save at the end there but that free header should have been challenged. Again though, that wind... Has to open his yap to.

Did DDR make a pass that 1st half?

What's this about Hume only being a spectator today?

NI certainly got their teeth showing for this one. They'll be in tough against the wind for the final 45.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Sutton. Don't know if the winds got him all buggered up but he's way too timid. Nice save at the end there but that free header should have been challenged. Again though, that wind... Has to open his yap to.

I think he's trying to avoid any big mistakes because of the hard wind and rain if he comes out too much. Better to play safe than sorry.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

All I've got to say is how Gillespie avoided bookings is beyond me. Both his challenges on Simpson weren't mistimed, they were malicious "message" tackles.

Yeah, yeah!!

Would have thought Josh new the game already. He plays in the 1st for Christ's sake.

Six spikes on your boots, man. Four for traction and two for that prick.

Gillespie'll get his. Thought Serioux was starting to track left there...

Excellent save from Sutton, cutting off Healy's attempt to go through his legs from a tight angle, a la Bergkamp in the recent Arse - ManU match.

Apart from the goal, which was remarkably well taken, Canada looks Godawful. Our passing is dreadful and we give away possession far too easily. NI has had easily 60% of possession and should have scored a couple.

On the bright side, we've escaped the first half and will now have the very strong wind at our backs. I would expect a few subs in the second half, including Peters coming on for the thus-far poor De Rosario. Hopefully Klukowski will come on as well and be able to solidify things at the back.

Archived