Calgary Stadium Already Half Built (?!?!?)

Former Champ

I was hanging out last night and I heard a guy talking about picking his buddy up at work 'where they are building the new stadium'. This caught my ear so I grilled him.

Apparently it being built quietly it the north east. Dude said the lights are up, but you can't tell what it is until you get close to it, but then it obvious.

If I had a working vehicle, i'd check it out.[?]

Don't think so, they have a fairly big baseball place next to McMahon where the Cannons used to play. I'm sure that the new Northern League franchise would play there. Could just be a small place for the local Association if it is for baseball.

Maybe CC and his buddys are having joint hallucinations again.

I didn't say it in my original post, but they kept saying 'soccer stadium'. The Calgary Soccer Center is a pretty huge complex in the Southeast, at the edge of the city, so lotsa room fro expansion.

I figure in a town like this it's probably better just to build the damn thing without any media and political attention and potentially interference.

Also there is so much construction going on around here, it wouldn't be hard to keep it quiet.

I'll keep my ears open.

Is there any land near Max Bell? I should remember better since I spent three days there recently, but it seemed like it was basically in the side of a hill. Parking was a total disaster, even games where the building was half full, cars were parked along both sides of the road entering the main parking lot and hundreds of other SUVs and mini vans e-braked it on the side of the hill. Intermission entertainment consisted of announcing which cars would have to be moved or else they will be towed.

I can only imagine if there was an actual sellout at one of the games. Thank god I was cabbing it.

So am I on drugs Calgarians? Is there actually space to build something down there and have parking for more than 500 people in addition to Max Bell?

That stuff in the NE sounds really good. Hopefully it's beautiful and accessible. Calgary is pretty close for me, so I'd be stoked to have a good venue down there.

cheers,

matthew

• 1 month later...

I can safely say that they are NOT building anything on the Fire Park site (near Max Bell) at the moment. I drive past it often, and while I dream of a soccer complex being built there, I'm sad to report that there is none there at the moment. Too bad, as it is the best situated piece of land in the city for a Stadium (at the crossroads of Deerfoot Trail, Memorial Drive, and Barlow Trail.

Is anyone else thinking that it might be at Challenger Park, the Rotary Club's home for disabled sports, located up by the airport?

The Calgary West Soccer Centre is alread built, though. Current Champ appears to be talking about something that is being built at the moment. I just wish he could tell us where in the Northeast.

Time to hack into some top-secret land imaging satelites :)

what is the address? We could cycle up there when the snow leave again.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

I was hanging out last night and I heard a guy talking about picking his buddy up at work 'where they are building the new stadium'. This caught my ear so I grilled him.

Apparently it being built quietly it the north east. Dude said the lights are up, but you can't tell what it is until you get close to it, but then it obvious.

If I had a working vehicle, i'd check it out.[?]

:)javascript:insertsmilie(':)')

Smile :)

I wasn't criticising you in the slightest. It's just that the anticipation is driving me crazy.

Mind you, I'm still worried that someone is pulling my leg, because I'm going for this one hook, line, and sinker. I just want a sss in Calgary sooooooooooooooo bad! :)

• 1 month later...

Archived