Who do we replace Jason Devos with ???

kelownaguy

Who do you guys feel should take over the center back position?? Is McKenna the next best option , or someone else mentioned Gervais could fill the role now?? I've never seen Gervais as he is still a relatively unknown for the national team so I can't comment on that. What about Nsaliwa if he and Yallop can ever get on the same page, is he center back material?? Another option may be to groom a young guy like Atiba at a young age and let him grow into that role for the next decade, any other options I'm missing???

Imhof (this should be fun) and/or Gervais, IMO.

Reda is still an unknown. Kuklowski and Hutchinson are not "nasty" enough for central defense - both better suited as finesse d-mid's - again IMO.

Nsaliwa might be an option but I see him more as a wing-back, despite his club position.

McKenna and Pizzolitto kind of scare me a bit, when it comes to being the last line of defense.

I am one of "those" who really like Imhof, especially in a defensive capacity. Bring it on... :D

Yes, this is a real concern, and if I was Yallop, I'd certainly make this issue one of the most important to consider over the next while.

Centre back is a massive position, and filling Jason's boots is a massive problem. What are the keys to a great Centre back? Vision, leadership, pace, "nastiness", and brains. Anything else? Height never hurts, either. The options, in order of who we should look at first:

1) Reda (apparently he has most of what DeVos has, though I am not sure if he is as skilled. Is he faster?)

2) McKenna (has the height, decent vision, and is capable of leading. Pace is lacking, but he can be tough when needed. He may not have the skill to pull this off though.)

3) Imhof (this is not a bad idea at all. he is quicker than JDV, has decent vision, is very composed and fit. Leadership--quiet but likely. I'd certainly give him a good look back there.0

4) Hutch (it seems almost a waste, but then again, maybe this is great news that we have a centre back as talented as he is. in time, I would feel confident saying that he would be even better than JDV. He needs to put on some muscle, though.)

5) Stalteri (has the pace, decent vision, but can he lead the back four. does he have the noggin for it. Leadership is vital)

6) Gervais (not convinced he has the chops. Convince me otherwise.)

7) Nsaliwa (pace, height--would be a tremendous sweeper. I don't think he has the vision or the smarts, though. I hope I'm wrong. yes, he'd be better on the wing.)

8) Kluka (pace, decent height, good skill, still too young, but has potential. Yes, can he get nasty? I think so. The lads from Edmontonchuk; he can dig up his inner-Semenko.

9) Menezes/Watson (done like dinner. move on.)

Any other ideas?

The one player who looks ready to take on that role would be Reda.I saw him train prior to last years Millwall game and for a few minutes in the game itself.He looked steady and comfortable at centre back and has the physical attributes needed.

Inhoff does not have the size but can really battle.Keep him in midfield.

McKenna should partner Reda.

I agree with what has been said about Hutchinson.He hasn't got the stregnth yet to handle some of the bigger bodies out there.

Klukowski is definitely worth a look.We havn't seen him enough yet at any level for Canada.

Ed, I saw somewhere that Kluka was from Edmonton. where's he from? (In Canada.)

And as far as Albertans referring to Edmonton as Edmontonchuk, where the hell did you think I got the nickname from? Albertans, you silly prig. (Do you use the term 'prig' in Alberta? How about "prick"? Neither of these are Ukranian terms, mind you.)

Well, there goes my clean beer slate for 2005. Add Ed to the list! Garrulous or not, I owe the dudechuk a beer. [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Oshawa. I believe

Thank you, mi amigo. I seem to recall, now, that my source for Kluka's Edmonton lineage came from the CSA at the time when he was playing for our U20s in Argentina.

I'd love to see Nsaliwa become the sort of MAN we need at the back. And, Nsaliwa is from Edmontonchuk, isn't he?

Tough question.

Nsaliwa has dropped off the Yallop radar, no? Think he could be a replacement but not quite in the JDV style. Hard to judge because it's been so long since seeing him but I think he's got the strength for centre half. Way better pace than JDV or McKenna and a bit of grit to him too so maybe in a perfect world a Tam-Big Kev partnership may be just what the doctor ordered.

You'll notice I've got Big Kev penciled into the right centre back position. (I'd argue McKenna is better with the ball than JDV, and probably quicker over the quarter mile so all you haters can fu'k off.)

Hutch? Another maybe. Maybe as more of a sweeper with McKenna but yeah, I'll join the herd. I like my centre halfs physical, confident and willing to cheat. Violently if necessary. Don't think Hutch has got it in him.

Reda & Kuklowski? Who knows? Kukluwski star seems to be rising. Glad to hear it but I thought him more of a fullback. Don't know realy.

By the by. Semenko's parents apparently used to (and maybe still do) live in the old 'hood next door to one of my exs. Legend has it that the blockhead in celebrating graduation tore through the halls of my old high school on his dirt bike. Got caught though. They always do.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

What the hell kind of comment is that? The moment he puts on that jersey, he's as Ukrainian as you or me!

[:P]

Ha! Well in, Daniel. Truth be told, I'm half French Canadian, a quarter German and--apparently--a quarter Ukranian. What does this make me? Simply: Canadian.

Can't wait to see some games with you guys this year. Fingers crossed that we can get a huge contingent out for Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

What the hell kind of comment is that? The moment he puts on that jersey, he's as Ukrainian as you or me!

[:P]

Ha! Well in, Daniel. Truth be told, I'm half French Canadian, a quarter German and--apparently--a quarter Ukranian. What does this make me? Simply: Canadian.

Can't wait to see some games with you guys this year. Fingers crossed that we can get a huge contingent out for Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Yeah, that was the angle I was taking with the Ukrainian thing ;).

I am not sure that in this confederation we need a big strapping centre half the way we might if we were in Europe. I think some speed and skill would be of higher value. I also think that Big Kev may end up a forward both with club and country...useful cover at the back but generally a forward.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am not sure that in this confederation we need a big strapping centre half the way we might if we were in Europe. I think some speed and skill would be of higher value. I also think that Big Kev may end up a forward both with club and country...useful cover at the back but generally a forward.

Certainly agree with the settling down as a forward (finaly) part. As to the other, that's a tactical decision dependent on preference and opponent.

I for one have no problem using an offence that's playing for corners and than filling the box with a bunch of giants. But then again I also am one who dosen't mind employing a dedicated "destroyer", both tactics which put me into the minority on this board.

Have long advocated taking the air war to the CONCACAF enemy as I can't see any of them capable of defending against it. It's a simple system, and one we can readily employ on short notice with our too often unfamiliar squads.

Hell, with our growing abilities at playing the more "mature" game in the midfield it makes our airiel ability that much more effective.

And who's more effective at the air game than Big Kev McKenna?

I'll tell you what though. A youger Mark Watson paired with Hutch is a dream centre half combo for me. With or without Diesel/de Guzman playing deep in front of them. Talk about a sweet and sour dish. I'll take two helpings of that please.

But then, Watson is a decade past it isn't he? Dang.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Certainly agree with the settling down as a forward (finaly) part. As to the other, that's a tactical decision dependent on preference and opponent.

I for one have no problem using an offence that's playing for corners and than filling the box with a bunch of giants.

Hell, with our growing abilities at playing the more "mature" game in the midfield it makes our airiel ability that much more effective.

And who's more effective at the air game than Big Kev McKenna?

I agree with you regarding the cross into the box as it is a difficult game for our Central American rivals to defend. Until we develop a true attacking mid, we have to - at the very least - keep that weapon in the arsenal. Of course, that would require calling in wingers who are comfortable and effective lofting the ball into the box.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I agree with you regarding the cross into the box as it is a difficult game for our Central American rivals to defend. Until we develop a true attacking mid, we have to - at the very least - keep that weapon in the arsenal. Of course, that would require calling in wingers who are comfortable and effective lofting the ball into the box.

An often overlooked point. It's great to have big players that are effective in the air (see McKenna/Occean) but right now we seem to lack wingers that can whip in a good cross. Brennan seems to fit the bill on left and Hume on the right, but that seems to be it.

Hiya guys,

It's been along time since I posted. I figured it's about time I chipped in my two pfennig's worth.

The player I see as being the most likely successor to deVos is Mike Klukowski. He plays the same position, left center back, and has done very well for the past two years in the Belgian league. He has moved up to one of the top team's in Belgium, is strong defensively in the air and can score on free kicks. I'd also like to see Nsaliwa as the right centre back paired with Kluka.

As for other players for left centre back behind Kluka I'd then like to see how Gervais and Reda do.

I see McKenna as being weaker defensively than Nsaliwa and stronger on offence so that is where I see the national team using him more often, probably as a back up to Occean whenever Canada needs a big target man up front.

cheers,

romurra

Archived