Info on Northern Ireland Squad

marktci

Saw in another article where the full squad is expected to be named on Monday.

From www.newsletter.co.uk :

Football - Feeney Slams Sanchez

By Brian Millar

Friday 4th February 2005

Warren Feeney was fuming last night after being snubbed yet again by Northern Ireland boss Lawrie Sanchez.

Northern Ireland face Canada in a friendly at Windsor Park next Wednesday and the Stockport County striker expected a call-up.

But Feeney, 24, who is expecting a big money move to Luton Town soon, isn't even on the stand-by list!

Sanchez has named four forwards, David Healy, Andy Smith, Andrew Kirk and Steve Jones.

Feeney, who won three caps under Sammy McIlroy, the last against Cyprus two years ago, said: "To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm gutted.

"Lawrie Sanchez said he would pick anyone playing first team football and give fringe players a chance. Well, I've scored 10 goals in a bad team which is bottom of the league. I just don't know what I have done wrong. "I understand Andy Smith is in the squad and he hasn't kicked a ball since leaving Stockport three months ago.

From http://www.irishfa.com

Goalkeepers

Maik Taylor (Birmingham City FC), Roy Carroll (Machester United FC)

Defenders

Colin Murdock (Crewe Alexandra FC) , Aaron Hughes (Newcastle Utd FC) Stephen Craigan (Motherwell FC), Mark Williams (Milton Keynes Dons FC), Tony Capaldi (Plymouth Argyle FC), Mark Clyde (Wolves), Chris Baird (Southampton FC)

Midfielders

Keith Gillespie (Leicester City FC), Tommy Doherty (Bristol City FC),Damien Johnson (Birmingham City FC), Steve Davis (Aston Villa), Jeff Whitley (Sunderland AFC), Philip Mulryne (Norwich City FC)

Forwards

David Healy (Preston North End), Andrew Smith (Preston North End FC), Steve Jones (Crewe Alexandra FC), Andy Kirk (Boston United FC)

Solid lineup, some young guys coming through esp. Davis, Whitley and Healy. Mulryne and Johnson give as good as they get. Hughes is class on the backline, Taylor is one of the best keepers in the EPL.

They'll give England a tough game! This new generation is going to get Northern Ireland back on the radar.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Solid lineup, some young guys coming through esp. Davis, Whitley and Healy. Mulryne and Johnson give as good as they get. Hughes is class on the backline, Taylor is one of the best keepers in the EPL.

They'll give England a tough game! This new generation is going to get Northern Ireland back on the radar.

Whitley has been around since 1996. He used to play for Man City. He also had an older Brother Jim who was in the City Side that was relegated to the Old 2nd Division.

Archived