Canadians abroad: February 4-10, 2005

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

None.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 4-10, 2005.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Simpson comes on at 73' in Millwall's 0-0 draw with QPR. No Serioux. Bircham, still injured, is nowhere to be seen. Pity, as the Millwall supporters' chant "He's got a lion on his arm, and bir**** in his hair" is one of the funniest I've heard.

Pesch is on the bench for Derby's 3-2 victory over Brighton

De Vos plays the whole match in Ipswich's 2-0 victory over Sheffield Utd

Brennan comes on at 45' in Norwich's 3-2 victory over WBA

Radz plays the entire match in Fullham's 3-1 loss to Liverpool

De Guz plays the entire game in Hannover's 3-1 loss to Borussia Dortmund

No sign of McKenna in Hearts' 2-2 draw with Kilmarnock

Mike Klukowski doesn't see the pitch for Club Brugge who are winners at Lierse in the Belgian Jupiler League (a beer league if there ever was one). I can't tell if he was an unused sub, as those aren't listed in this match report:

http://www.sport.be/nl/jupilerleague/0405/statgame.html?comp=2041&game=72177

I hope he doesn't have one of those mysterious injuries that seem to creep into the works a week or so before a national team game.

Mike Klukowski doesn't see the pitch for Club Brugge who are winners at Lierse in the Belgian Jupiler League (a beer league if there ever was one). I can't tell if he was an unused sub, as those aren't listed in this match report:

http://www.sport.be/nl/jupilerleague/0405/statgame.html?comp=2041&game=72177

I hope he doesn't have one of those mysterious injuries that seem to creep into the works a week or so before a national team game.

Ipswich soar five points clear in second division

LONDON, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Ipswich Town moved five points clear at the top of the second division on Saturday after they beat Sheffield United 2-0 away and title rivals Wigan Athletic suffered a 1-0 upset defeat at home to Stoke City.

Loan signing David Unsworth scored after 20 minutes of his Ipswich debut and Finnish striker Shefki Kuqi sealed the points in the second half as the East Anglian club followed up their 5-1 drubbing of United in November.

Stoke striker Gifton Noel-Williams put a dent in Wigan's hopes with the matchwinner shortly before the break.

ADVERTISEMENTIpswich are top on 62 points and firmly on course for promotion to the Premier League. Wigan are second on 57 points and have only goal difference to keep them ahead of Sunderland, who drew 1-1 at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Friday.

Goal difference also separates fourth placed Reading, who drew 0-0 at home to Plymouth Argyle, from Derby County, who also have 51 points after Marcus Tudgay scored twice for a 3-2 win at Brighton.

Tudgay's second in the 72nd minute came 10 minutes after a red card for defensive team mate Ian Taylor.

I know its been mentioned before that David Edgar has been injured back in Jan. I was reading an article mentioning his injury, and I'd like to add that his manager mentioned he is doing well and will be missed.

Here is the bit of the article;

Newcastle are without long-term absentee Matty Pattison (knee) and central defender David Edgar, who this week underwent a hernia operation.

Wharton said: "We're without David Edgar and he's a big miss for us. He's had a very good season.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_objectid=15089634%26method=full%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Bremen over Wolfsburg 3-2, Stalteri was definitely in the action...

Martin Petrov has attracted the interest of many big clubs throughout Europe and he remains an integral part of Eric Gerets' width-based system.

His marauding runs down the left have been a handful for many Bundesliga full-backs and Canada's Paul Stalteri was finding life difficult coping with the Bulgarian international when Wolfsburg hit hard and fast on the break.

And it was strike one to Petrov in the 26th minute when he provided the cross for Brdaric to head in his ninth goal of the season and put Wolfsburg into a surprise lead.

Strike two came early in the second half when the Bulgarian trickster skipped past Stalteri to provide Thiam with the easiest of headers from point-blank range.

But the Wolfsburg players perhaps spent too long celebrating the second goal and allowed Werder to hit back within 60 seconds through their danger-man Klose.

Straight from the restart, Stalteri lofted a long ball forward to Klose, who jinked past the absent-minded defenders Facundo Quiroga and Maik Franz to divert the ball with his head beyond the reach of Simon Jentzsch.

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar was not dressed for Penafiel's loss to Rio Ave in Portugal top flight. No sign of de Serpa once again for Lousada. Marco Bras played the whole game for Pampilhosa in a draw with Benfica C. Branco, 1-1, in third division Zona Centro.

A Brennan article (preview for last Saturday's game) from a Malaysian paper...

Brennan knows what is at stake

359 words

5 February 2005

The Malay Mail

English

© 2005 New Straits Times Press (Malaysia) Berhad

CANADIAN international Jim Brennan is aware of the importance of tonight's crucial match with West Brom.

Nothing short of a win will do for Norwich as they look to close the gap on Crystal Palace in that coveted fourth-from-bottom Premiership place.

Bryan Robson's Baggies will be thinking just the same after dropping two points in the final seconds of their midweek fixture with the Eagles.

With Adam Drury touch-and-go for tonight after developing a tight hamstring in the first half of the 1-0 defeat at Everton, Brennan could be asked to step in at left back.

If he does, it means Brennan will carry on where he left off against Everton in midweek.

It makes a nice change for the 27-year-old to feature in his favoured position, with the former Nottingham Forrest star being deployed on the left of midfield and even in the middle during Norwich's New Year injury crisis.

But it's not something which bothers him.

Far from it - it's all hands to the pump as far as Brennan is concerned.

"I don't mind playing different positions," he said.

"You're helping the team out and I'm happy to do that." Brennan agreed it is vital Norwich pick up the three points if they are serious about staying in the Premiership.

"Of course, it's a very big game," he said. "It's one both teams have to win but there's no reason why we can't do that.

"We are at home and we know the support we will get. If the fans are like they were against Middlesbrough then we have a great chance." Indeed, it's fair to say neither side can settle for anything less than a win today, with Crystal Palace starting to pull away from the bottom three.

But Brennan said the Canaries would carry on fighting - even if the unthinkable happened this afternoon.

"Our heads won't drop," he said. "We will still fight on.

"All we are looking for at the moment is three points against West Brom."

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel Fernandes played the 2nd half, letting in no goals, as Paok Salonika lost 1-0 in a friendly in Serres vs. a 2nd division team (currently 5th, a few points off promotion spots).

This note is from www.paokfc.gr

PAOK was defeated in Serres 1-0 by Panserraikos, in a friendly game that took place at the National Stadium of Serres. The goal scored Kirou in the 20th minute of the match.

PAOK: Tohouroglou (46' Fernandes), Udeze, Hasiotis, Megahed, Karadimos (30' Kanakoudis), Zavadias, Zografakis (71' Mollano), Salpigidis (46' Theodoridis), Maladenis (69' Marques), Vangelis, Mieciel (69' Hristodoulopoulos).

quote:Originally posted by massimo

I know its been mentioned before that David Edgar has been injured back in Jan. I was reading an article mentioning his injury, and I'd like to add that his manager mentioned he is doing well and will be missed.

Here is the bit of the article

Newcastle are without long-term absentee Matty Pattison (knee) and central defender David Edgar, who this week underwent a hernia operation.

Wharton said: "We're without David Edgar and he's a big miss for us. He's had a very good season.

Wharton used to play for the Winipeg Fury in the CSL.

Elliott Godfrey and Hampton & Richmond Borough lost 0-2 in extra time away at Enfield Town in the Middlesex Senior Charity Cup.

The match was 0-0 at full-time, but Enfield Town scored two goals late in extra time. Godfrey played the entire match.

Two HRBFC players didn't arrive until half-time due to a 22-mile traffic jam on the M25. :D

Archived