When's the draw for Holland 2005?

Robert

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Hypothetically speaking, how would Canada fair in a group with Holland, 60 years after liberating the country of my birth? It would be perfect if Germany got into this group. They'd have trouble finishing fourth. Talk about trying to get a ticket.

Holland and germany in the same group is very unlikely. This tournamant ( Unlike the World Cup) is always very balanced when it comes seeding the teams in groups. Last time, no group had two or more sides from the same confederation. Meaning that the usual six Euro sides would be seeded in different groups. However, this time, there are seven Euro sides because of the hosts. But Ger and Hol in the same group is a real long shot and very very unlikely.

In the last two editions, Canada drew:

2001- 1 Asia (Iraq), 1 Uefa (Ger), and 1 SA ( Bra).

2003- 1 Ocea( Aus), 1 Uefa (Cze), and 1 SA ( Bra).

I would expect something similar but I am hoping for no Brazil this time. That part of the Novelty has worn out

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Hypothetically speaking, how would Canada fair in a group with Holland, 60 years after liberating the country of my birth? It would be perfect if Germany got into this group. They'd have trouble finishing fourth. Talk about trying to get a ticket.

You from Holland originally , eh Robert? My best friend's dad, bless his soul, was with a Canadian unit involved in the Liberation, always used to have tears well up in his eyes whenever he talked about how happy the Dutch were to see the Canadians. Guess the (mainly) Canadian liberation of Holland has to be Canada's finest moment in history.

Can't see Holland, Canada and Germany in the same Group, tho Canada could well get either of those.

How they decided the draw for UAE 2003 (the regs for Holland 2005 have not nebeen put on line yet).

Regs (last time):

"2 The FIFA Organising Committee shall divide the teams into groups by seeding and drawing lots in public, whilst taking sporting, geographic and economic factors into consideration, as far as this is possible."

As it was, they never seeded in 2003, just had 4 pots representing different regions, and split Concacaf between Africa and SAmn pots (Canada and US got put in Africa). UAE got easiest draw, usual suspicions even tho a public draw.

Given the teams qualifying, I expect the "seeds" could be something like:

Holland

Germany (did not do well in 2003, but did in 2001, and has huge drawing power)

Spain (SF last time)

Brazil (champ)

Argentina(SF and history of success)

Colombia (first in SA, and SF last time))

Pots:

1. Europe: Turkey, Ukraine, Switzerland, Italy (Spain to get extra Europe team, due to better draw for their matches, Holland and Germany don't anymore Euros for their Group),+ Panama and Honduras for Germany and Holland only

2. Asia + Australia + 4th South America (Chile/Uruguay): with 4th SA going to Holland, Germany or Spain's group only

3. Africa+ Canada + US (like last time)- with US and Canada not allowed to get other two CONCACAF entries

The big issue is whether Holland will be in Kerkrade for the opener (Group A) or will be put in bigger Utrecht stadium (Group B). Kerkrade, at 19,500 the 2nd biggest stadium, would also be good for Germany (close to population centre of Ruhr and area south of that) and Brazil. Enshede is another good possibility for Germany. If Holland is in group A, expect third biggest draw Brazil to be in Utrecht. From a marketing point of view, it would good if they could "arrange" it if the USA was to be placed in Utrecht Group to be closer to Schiphol Airport and Amsterdam media centre.

Gawd, i'm getting cynical in my old age.[:0]

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

You from Holland originally , eh Robert? My best friend's dad, bless his soul, was with a Canadian unit involved in the Liberation, always used to have tears well up in his eyes whenever he talked about how happy the Dutch were to see the Canadians. Guess the (mainly) Canadian liberation of Holland has to be Canada's finest moment in history.

Can't see Holland, Canada and Germany in the same Group, tho Canada could well get either of those.

How they decided the draw for UAE 2003 (the regs for Holland 2005 have not nebeen put on line yet).

Regs (last time):

"2 The FIFA Organising Committee shall divide the teams into groups by seeding and drawing lots in public, whilst taking sporting, geographic and economic factors into consideration, as far as this is possible."

As it was, they never seeded in 2003, just had 4 pots representing different regions, and split Concacaf between Africa and SAmn pots (Canada and US got put in Africa). UAE got easiest draw, usual suspicions even tho a public draw.

Given the teams qualifying, I expect the "seeds" could be something like:

Holland

Germany (did not do well in 2003, but did in 2001, and has huge drawing power)

Spain (SF last time)

Brazil (champ)

Argentina(SF and history of success)

Colombia (first in SA, and SF last time))

Pots:

1. Europe: Turkey, Ukraine, Switzerland, Italy (Spain to get extra Europe team, due to better draw for their matches, Holland and Germany don't anymore Euros for their Group),+ Panama and Honduras for Germany and Holland only

2. Asia + Australia + 4th South America (Chile/Uruguay): with 4th SA going to Holland, Germany or Spain's group only

3. Africa+ Canada + US (like last time)- with US and Canada not allowed to get other two CONCACAF entries

The big issue is whether Holland will be in Kerkrade for the opener (Group A) or will be put in bigger Utrecht stadium (Group B). Kerkrade, at 19,500 the 2nd biggest stadium, would also be good for Germany (close to population centre of Ruhr and area south of that) and Brazil. Enshede is another good possibility for Germany. If Holland is in group A, expect third biggest draw Brazil to be in Utrecht. From a marketing point of view, it would good if they could "arrange" it if the USA was to be placed in Utrecht Group to be closer to Schiphol Airport and Amsterdam media centre.

Gawd, i'm getting cynical in my old age.[:0]

Chances are if Canada had not liberated Holland, I might not be sitting here. Bless your friend's dad. Holland and Germany were in the same pool at the last EURO, so unless their both seeded I don't see why it can't happen again. If I could fix the draw, I'd throw the United States in with the three already mentioned. Every group match would be a sell-out for sure. Holland's so small, it's like staging the World Cup in P.E.I., at the most it's only a few hours of driving to any of the cities.

I went on a two month tour of Holland, (more like me running away from Amsterdam with what little money i had left, but that's not a story for this forum) and it's amazing how many people of all generations light up when they hear you're from Canada. The Canadians are going to be crowd favorites and use that support to make another good run.

To the quarterfinals...and beyond!

• 3 weeks later...

from FIFA.com:

Great names from football past and present will attend the draw for the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 in Utrecht on Sunday, 6 March. The draw ceremony will take place in the Prinses Irene Room of the Jaarbeurs Centre in Utrecht. FIFA-President Joseph S.Blatter will be one of the celebrities attending as well as Dutch national team manager Marco van Basten and assistant John van 't Schip. Former international Dutch goalkeeper Hans van Breukelen will be present as an ambassador for SOS Children's Villages. FIFA vice-president Jack A. Warner, chairman of the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Youth Championship, will also attend.

Access to the Prinses Irene Room will be given to those who have officially been invited to attend the dinner and draw ceremony. Dinner is scheduled for 16.30h, after which the draw ceremony will start at 18.15h. The draw will be conducted by Jérôme Champagne, FIFA Deputy General Secretary assisted by a number of prominent guests, and will be broadcast live on Dutch TV by NOS Studio Sport.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Some of these sides are really unfamiliar to me. I don't ever recall seeing Syria involved in a final phase of a FIFA tourny in the past. And what about Benin?. I always THOUGHT I was good in geography, But apparantly not. Plus, If I am not mistaken, Benin hosted the qualifying tournament.

This is just a hunch on my part. I have feeling that we will end up in ths same group as the hosts; Holland.

Syria was in the 1980 Olympic tournament, but only after a number of teams dropped out.

They almost qualified for the 1986 World Cup, but lost to Iraq in a final round two leg playoff.

Archived