Jon Deguzman choices

snake

That Davidson article doesn't bring in anything new from the deGuzman perspective. If anything, the potential player talk in the article is identical to what we've been saying on the board. No CSA member or coach has mentionned him officially and there is no new information about him. Great article overall, though.

a few posters have mentioned that jon deguzman will not let playing internationally affect his position at feyenoord.when does the dutch league finish up?will the WYC2005 be sharing fields with a summer dutch soccer schedule.the dutch season should be over by the time the under 20s gets going.

Its not a case of us wanting Deguz, of course we all do and so does Yallop and the CSA, its a case of him wanting Canada,, and considering its been mentioned numerous times he wants to concentrate on his future with the club (making the first team, not the youth or reserves as he's on now) then I refuse to fall for any hype or think that all of the sudden he will change his mind and commit. Like I said before though, I would be very happy to be wrong here..

The decision is probably so far out of his mind that its not even worth discussing right now. he probably wont play an international youth game ever. the guy wants to make the senior squad at feyenoord and thats great, his choice is 3 years down the road i think, and to me its a no brainer- how ridiculous would it be to have 2 brothers playing for different countries.

brennanfan , I totally agree, I would like to think he would choose Canada as the article with his brother sort of hints at that, I would also assume from everything I've read and heard on the matter that we'll be waiting a few years and he couldn't give a damn about U20 youth stuff. If we land him in 3 years that would be fantastic, in the meantime, if we continue to see new threads made up before every friendly in the next couple years saying "we should call up Deguzman for this one" it will absolutely drive me nuts..LOL...And the poor kid is getting so hyped up on this board were all gonna expect him to be the next "Pele" and be our savior when he does suit up...I'm sure we'll know when he's ready to commit whether it be through his brother or himself....

Again, playing for the U20s at the u20 Worlds should only be positive as far as gaining recognition from Gullit and his staff. He is playing for the U-19s at Feyenoord which means the U20s would have no problems getting his release.

The only reason I can see for refusing up to now is to keep his options open, the time away from training and the drag of trans-Atlantic travel. All those except the options issue are eliminated when playing in the Netherlands.

All that said, he needs to make our team. I am not sure if making it as a starter is a slam dunk. In any case, I think it is more likely that he would make the Canadian team than the Dutch team at 17.

Archived