Sen Men's Updates?: Post-Florida and Pre-NIr Match

beachesl

Okay, with all the excitement this week, I now realize that we have had little idea what happened at the Florida camp, and little discussion about the coming Northern Ireland friendly on the 9th of February.

I would really like to hear someone's assessment of what went on in Florida, and what it may mean for our coming MNT events, no matter how sketchy. Anybody (how about you Daniel, you gave us a few mini-reports of what went down in the Sunshine State?) [?]

What about speculation for the NI roster?

Okay, to get things started ("fools rush in..."[:o)]) here is my stab at NI.......

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Wild Predictions for Belfast's Fair City

GK: Sutton and Hirschfeld for sure. Frank is split on which one, maybe Sutton starts in Belfast, the more experienced Lars in Portugal.

Def: De Vos (back as captain), McKenna, Hutchinson, Klukowski (I hope)

subs: Gervais, Imhoff

(expect Nsaliwa for the Portuguese camp, not in Northern Ireland)

(possibilities: Jasic, Brennan (?????) )

MF: Hume, "July" DeGuzman, Stalteri, Simpson

subs: Peters (confiirmed on Tractor's website), Grande, Bernier

(possiblilites: Serioux, Bircham (?????) )

F: DeRosario, Occean

sub: Brillant

(Radzinski will not be called, out of a lack of desire on his part anyway, and for Frank being quietly upset about his sabotaging the start of the WCQ semis by going along with Coleman's fraud for the Aug 18 match...this is all about the future in any event)

Will start off with 4-4-2, will be mega-substitutions to get in as many as possible.

Expect a base 18 on the roster, as this is only a quick match with no real camp, just two days of light training. 23 to 26 will be on the roster for the Portuguese camp in late March anyway, with either Wagenaar or Begovic invited as the third GK.

Wild stab in the dark for a total suprise: Jonathan DeGuzman from Feyenoord Youth side for cap-tie.

Beaches, thanks for taking the leap and getting this going.

I like the wild guess on DeGuzman. I had similar thoughts--mostly wishful thinking, I gather--but the hint from Julien sort of suggests the option might be there. And we know Frank ain't scared of trying a kid out here and there.

Any friendly between two senior national representative sides is an "A" match(meaning a Senior National team playing another Senior National team, regardless of the type of competition, according to the Regs, and includes friendlies) that cap-ties the player regardless of age according to Article 15 of the FIFA regs. It is irrevocable, unlike the one-time switch permitted for playing for youth sides before the player turns 21 provided the application is made before the palyer turns 21.

(I got this copied and ready to paste in a file:))

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Any friendly between two senior national representative sides is an "A" match(meaning a Senior National team playing another Senior National team, regardless of the type of competition, according to the Regs, and includes friendlies) that cap-ties the player regardless of age according to Article 15 of the FIFA regs. It is irrevocable, unlike the one-time switch permitted for playing for youth sides before the player turns 21 provided the application is made before the palyer turns 21.

(I got this copied and ready to paste in a file:))

Did they change this rule?

Friendlies were never 'binding' before, only "official" competitions (WCQ, regional championships, etc.)

I don't know, as I only started to pay attention to the actual Regualtions when they started tightening up a few years ago. I don't even know if the older regs are accessible by net anymore.

For instance, mere exhibitons between National sides and clubs, or even between National sides (for instance at training camps), are not "sanctioned" events, but anything registered and "sanctioned", to use the term in the regulations, (which is often done to ensure that players are released for release, insurance and other purpose) is an "A" team if it is a senior team, even if it does not have the country's top players. "A" means senior and sanctioned, nothing more. Basically, if it is listed on FIFA's website as a friendly, it is a match where players who make it on the pitch (as opposed to staying on the bench) get capped, and thus cap-tied.

Not so sure about Yallop being fast and loose with the sub's. Think he'll be playing this one to win. Think he has to. Even Holger would win one every so often.

Hmmm. Keep is a puzzler for sure but I'll give it to Lars. Likely in way better form.

Like that back four. Would take it most nights even if Klukowski is a bit of mystery. If no Mike, than sure, Jazic. I'd be cool with that. And Hutch out on right fullback is okay in my books.

If Watson shows, or is even called, I'll completely wig out.

Think Bircham and Brennan are not on Frankie's Favorites list so I'm expecting the Millwall Duo to be brought in. Don't think JB will be too shook up about it. He's got other things on his mind right now I'd imagine.

Dwayne's looking for European work, and since we all know Frankie dosen't guarentee starting possitions to anyone I wonder if DD will show? And if he dose will it be as a starter?

Personaly I'd rather see Peters paired up with Occean over DD. And I'm no Peters cheerleader.

Damn. This match better be on the televison.

Not so sure about Yallop being fast and loose with the sub's. Think he'll be playing this one to win. Think he has to. Even Holger would win one every so often.

Hmmm. Keep is a puzzler for sure but I'll give it to Lars. Likely in way better form.

Like that back four. Would take it most nights even if Klukowski is a bit of mystery. If no Mike, than sure, Jazic. I'd be cool with that. And Hutch out on right fullback is okay in my books.

If Watson shows, or is even called, I'll completely wig out.

Think Bircham and Brennan are not on Frankie's Favorites list so I'm expecting the Millwall Duo to be brought in. Don't think JB will be too shook up about it. He's got other things on his mind right now I'd imagine.

Dwayne's looking for European work, and since we all know Frankie dosen't guarentee starting possitions to anyone I wonder if DD will show? And if he dose will it be as a starter?

Personaly I'd rather see Peters paired up with Occean over DD. And I'm no Peters cheerleader.

Damn. This match better be on the televison.

I have less of a clue than usual about what the team might look like. Frankie could do pretty much anything. But I think he will take a Euro-based team that isn't particularly old, but isn't the U20s redux either. A few faces added to the mix after qualifying, but the same basic core.

Here's my guess at an 18:

Hirschfeld, Sutton; Stalteri, Hutchinson, Gervais, McKenna, DeVos, Klukowski; Bircham, Peters, Imhof, Grande, Brennan, Simpson, DeGuzman (Julian); DeRosario, Occean and Hume.

cheers,

matthew

Archived