Marcina/Gbeke Trial - DeRosario News

Canadians on trial at Randers FC

Big thks to Ceres at Xtratime

link (in Danish) :

http://www.bold.dk/nyt/arkiv/visValgte.asp?valgte=44987

According to the official Danish league clubs website bold.dk, the 25-yo Canadian forward Alen Marcina (former FC Schweinfurt 05 and PAOK Saloniki) and striker Charles Gbeke (Former Vancouver Whitecap, Ottawa Wizard, Toronto Lynx) have been handed a trial at the Danish Superliga club Randers FC the next few days.

Randers are looking to replace the Brazilian striker, José Roberto Rodrigues "Mota" Junior, who has signed a contract with the other Danish Superliga club Viborg...

Dwayne De Rosario is doing well at the AGF training camp where he is on trail along with 2 other players at the moment, 21-yo D/DM Patrice Kwedi (Cameroun, former Dinamo Zagreb and IFK Göteborg) and the 25-yo Norwegian AM/F Christer George who is a former Norwegian international (2 caps) and has played 67 league games for Rosenborg mostly as a right winger/forward and also scored some CL goals for the club... I dont know if AGF is interested in signing both Dwayne and Christer, but they are both traveling to Sweden to play for AGF at a indoor tournament tomorrow against Kalmar FF, Halmstads BK and Östers IF...

After having axed both Stig Tøfting (Den, 41 caps) and Wade Barrett (USA, 1 cap) and also losing Brian Steen Nielsen (Den, 66 caps, now assistant coach at AGF) and selling their 27-yo Swedish AM/F Jeffrey Aubynn (Swe, 4 caps) to Hammarby a few days ago, AGF is working very hard to find several good reinforcements, looking all over Europe with the help of the former Danish international, John Sivebæk (Thomas Gravesen's Agent) who was at the AGF training camp a few days ago and also has been named as one of the absolute favorites to get the job as new sports director at AGF....

It could be Dwayne's "luck", that AGF perhaps want to sign two new A/MF's, since the AGF forward and Icelandic international (56 caps) Helgi Sigurðsson is out for several month with a serious injury...

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Joe, thanks for the info. 'Super' Charles Gbeke played for the Hamilton Thunder last season and is very good. I hope he makes it there first and foremost, but secondly, I hope he returns to Hamilton.

If my memory my hasn't gone completely to the dogs, didn't the same Charles Gbeke then make his way down the QEW to ply his trade for the Lynx? Methinks there may be some debate over which team the 'Super' one should return to IF he needs a team in Ontario to return to.

Ah screw the debate, he's OURS!!!

quote:Originally posted by jordan

he was on loan from ottawa

Oh.

Well that certainly makes things more interesting. Well, seeing that the Lynx are somewhat/not really/but quite possibly like the Leeds United of Ontario, Gbeke has no choice BUT to return to the Lynx, pending of course that there is a return to return to.

To sweeten the pot, i propose that the Lynx give hime the #7 jersey, he can change his name to Charles Gbeckham, and be the highest paid player on the roster, whatever being 'highest paid' may entail. Also, the Lynx can arrange a marriage to some marginal Toronto celebrity - maybe someone from City TV or Much Music - who subsequently makes his life a living hell.

How can Gbeke say no to that?

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Denmark has the tightest Immigration Laws in the EU. You have to be at least 24 in order to marry a non-EU Citizen. btw, didn't Donovan Bailey become a Danish Citizen?

I think you're thinking of Mark McCoy (gold medalist, 110m hurdles)

who married an East German and now is an Austrian citizen.

I cannot find anything to confirm Bailey's Danish citizenship;

he currently has a foundation and a management group in Toronto.

So I somewhat doubt the Danish connection.

news from Öster's jubilee indoor tournament

http://www.oif.g.se/matcher.php?N=2131

Dwayne De Rosario scores twice, once in regulation and then the first of the so-called "American penalty shoot-out", in AGF's opener against Halmstads BK of Sweden.

http://www.oif.g.se/matcher.php?N=2132

Tyler Hughes with Östers translation...

Tyler Hughes had a 23 hour flight in his legs, arrived at 7:00 PM, but even so didn't make any bad passes, commented Lasse Jacobsson on the Canadian trialists performance [in a 0-2 loss to Kalmar FF]

http://www.oif.g.se/matcher.php?N=2134

and again versus Dwayne De Rosario's AGF

"...in the 20th minute Tyler Hughes served Cederqvist with a beautiful cut-through pass, but last year's scoring leader shot a little over the goal."

Östers won 2-0, but Dwayne and AGF will get another chance today as they have a rematch for 3rd and 4th starting in just a few minutes.

Here is a Danish article on Marcina and Gbeke that seems to explain some details on Marcina's contract with PAOK but of course I am not able to understand the details. So many Danes in the world but never one around when you need one! :)

RANDERS OVERVEJER CANADIERE

Randers FC overvejer at bruge mere tid på at vurdere de to canadiske angribere Charles Gbeke og Alen Marcina, der i går trænede i klubben.

Der er tale om to spillere med ganske fine papirer fra canadisk fodbold, hvor de blev kammerater under en fælles tid i Ottawa Wizards, fortæller de torsdag til Randers Amts Avis.

25-årige Alen Marcina gjorde det så godt i Ottawa, at han fik en kontrakt med græske PAOK Saloniki - dog blot for at opleve bagsiden af græsk fodbold som så mange spillere før ham: græske klubber forpligter sig i en kontrakt kun til at betale løn til spillere, der gør det godt på klubholdet. Er man ude af holdet, stoppes lønudbetalingerne, indtil man bliver træt af det og lader sin kontrakt opløse.

I Marcinas tilfælde betød det et eventyr hos den tyske 2. Bundesliga-klub Schweinfurt, før han i denne uge rejste til Randers.

Den ét år ældre Gbeke har kun spillet i canadisk fodbold, selvom han tidligere har været til prøvetræninger i både Frankrig og Brasilien.

- Gbeke er en typisk targetmand, mens Marcina er en offensiv midtbanespiller. De gjorde det begge fornuftigt, men jeg havde svært ved at bedømme dem, da de ikke er i den bedste form. Mit første indtryk er, at de ikke er bedre end de spillere, vi har i truppen i øjeblikket, siger Randers' assistenttræner Peter Elstrup til det lokale dagblad.

Elstrup skal nu forhandle med spillernes agenter, om det er muligt at de træner med resten af ugen og desuden deltager i SAS Liga-klubbens træningskamp imod Vejle på søndag.

Ud over at finde en erstatning for den brasilianske angriber Mota, som er gået til ligarivalerne Viborg, skal Randers FC overveje at udvide truppen, fordi en række stamspillere for tiden døjer med bekymrende skader.

Jesper Thygesen træner stadig ikke, fordi han fortsat har smerter fra en mystisk infektion - dog ikke mononukleose, som det først blev frygtet. Blandt de Randers-spillere, som er ukampdygtige for tiden, er også Kasper Rasmussen, Ralf Pedersen, Søren Holdgaard og Kasper Rynkeby.

Tks to Ceres at Xtratime

Canadians on trial at Herfølge...

The two Canadian forwards Charles Gbeke and Alen Marcina did not get a contract with Randers FC, but according to the Herfølge fan website Havensupport.dk, they have been handed a trial at the other Danish Superliga club Herfølge.. The two Canadians are expected to participate in Herfølges first training match, today, against the Danish 1st division club AB Copenhagen...

Link to the story on Havensupport (in danish) :

http://www.havensupport.dk/nyheder....isnyhed&id=1645

Tks to Ceres at Xtratime

AB Copenhagen v Herfølge 1-2 (0-1)

0-1: Charles Gbeke

0-2: Peter Gravesen

1-2: Andreas Mortensen (Penalty)

The Canadian striker, Charles Gbeke, scored the first goal when Herfølge won their first training match this year. Peter Gravesen (the brother of Thomas Gravesen) scored Herfølges 2nd goal...

So Perhaps this will help Charles Gbeke getting a contract...

Link:

http://www.havensupport.dk/turnerin...vis_kamp&id=244

From Ceres at Xtratime

Herfølge sign Canadian striker...

The Danish Superliga club have signed a 1½-year contract with the 26-yo canadian striker, Charles Gbeke. Sports director Per Rud says :

- "Charles Gbeke and Alen Mencina came to Denmark in the middle of last week. Their Agent forgot the [trial] deal with Herfølge, and so the two Canadians went [on trial] to Randers, before they were reminded about the deal with Herfølge. They have impressed, and our two coaches agree that Charles has something special about him. We look forward to presenting him at Herfølge Stadion."

Latest news from the Aarhus newspaper Stiften.dk

- "as the situation is at the moment, ther is no deal with Christer George. I have also told Dwayne de Rosario, that he's not going to get a contract at this time, but that he has done well at training. They both have, but Dwayne de Rosario is at the moment not our 1st priority" says AGF assistant coach Brian Steen Nielsen.

In danish (at the bottom):

http://www.stiften.dk/sport/artikel:aid=199365

----

AGF is usual 100% straight forward when they finally talk to the media about signing players, so when they have told both Christer George and Dwayne de Rosario that they are no longer 1st priority, it can only mean that they now got a chance to perhaps sign a forward they think is better... According to Swedish newsmedia this someone could very well be the Swedish international Marcus Allbäck (47 caps, 23 goals) from Hansa Rostock... It could also be the Brazilian forward Paulinho Guará (Örgryte) who was wanted by AGF a few weeks ago, but also wanted by Olympiakos before the transfer window closed in Greece...

Alen Mencina is still on trial at Herfølge and it will be decided later if he has a future at the club.

Link about the deal (in Danish) :

http://www.bold.dk/nyt/arkiv/visValgte.asp?valgte=45063

----

It should be said that Herfølge also have two Norwegians on trial at the moment and they also seem to have impressed, so perhaps the odds dosnt look all to bright for Alen Mencina ...

From U Sector (www.torontoultras.net)

G-G-G-beke, Time To Face The Danes. G-G-G-beke.

Posted By ryankeay on Tuesday, February 1 2005

2004 Toronto Lynx supersub, striker Charles Gbeke has just signed a one and a half year contract with Danish Superliga club Herfølge. Gbeke was signed after a very successful trial with the club, scoring in a friendly against AB Copenhagen. Coaches from the club were said to be impressed by Gbeke and felt he had "something special". Fellow Canadian and former Ottawa Wizard Alen Marcina remains on trial at Herfølge and is awaiting a decision to whether he will be offered a contract.

The departure of Gbeke leaves a hole in the Toronto Lynx attack. Ali Gerba seems likely to be back after what seems to be a spell of unsuccessful trials in Scandinavia, and Northern Irish draft pick striker Tony Anderson also is in the mix. The situation of John Barry Nusum is also up in the air at this moment with rumours of a potential return to Atlanta being in the cards.

Here's a link to the local press for the Danish club Herfølge. It appears that the latest news is the signing of Charles Gbeke, but there's still no news on former Ottawa Wizard Alen Marcina. If anything is due to happen, it's quite likely to appear here or on the supporter's website.

http://dagbladetonline.dk/apps/pbcs.dll/oversikt?kategori=SPORT&Profile=4000

Archived