Hirschfeld on trial

bc_soccer_fan

The current situation at Leicester is that they have two keepers in their 30's who have had injury problems this year. One keeper has been out with a knee injury for much of the season and is just returning to playing while the other is still injured with a hand injury. For the last two months Leicester has been starting a keeper on loan from Arsenal who has performed well but his loan deal has just expired. Leicester is trying to extend the loan deal as they don't feel the other keeper is match fit yet. Might be a good fit for Hirschfeld with some injury prone older keepers on the club. One of the keeper's contracts expires at the end of the season as well.

I am really hope that this time Lars gets-in under a 2 year contract. Let's face it that 6-month contract with Dundee was a complete joke. I knew from the start that it was not going to work. Even some of you guys here laughed at me when I said so. At Dundee, Lars practically never played a game for the club. 6 month is not enough time for a player to really prove himself.

Interesting note. Leiceter CIty have a good keeper in their youth system. A Polish-Aussie. He is 16 I belive and plays with the U18 and trains with the reserves sometimes. HE is also a big boy for 16. 6' something. He was on trail in Liverpool and other Championship sides but signed with Licister because they promised him 1st. team football. (all this is news streight from him and his older brother who plays in Conferance in England also GK) they are forum member on polishsoccer.com. Now to Hirshfeld very happy to see him gett a trail hopefully ha can land with a team where he get consistant minutes.

I guess it's official then.

From the Leicester site:

Hirschfeld Teams Up With Foxes

Leicester City have snapped up Canadian International goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld on a short-term contract.

The 26-year-old former Tottenham Hotspur and Dundee United shotstopper will provide cover for Ian Walker.

Manager Craig Levein said: "Lars has been brought in on a temporary basis until the end of the season and it is up to him to prove himself.

"We want to see if he could be our back-up goalkeeper for next season but we needed to do something quickly with regards to a No.2 to Ian Walker.

"We have also got the Stuart Taylor loan on the backburner and that's something we'll be looking at more closely after the weekend's FA Cup game against Reading."

Hirschfeld, who has 16 international caps to his name, was signed by Spurs in March 2002 from Calgary Storm to provide back-up for Neil Sullivan and Kasey Keller.

The keeper went on to have loan spells at Luton and Gillingham before moving to Dundee United in August last year.

hope this works out for Lars,, does anyone remember his stats at Dundee in the few games he started?? I thought I remember him starting back to back games when the first keeper was injured and I think he gave up like 6 goals or something in those 2 games, I don't know if he played any more than that though.

not sure it is the best move as they are clearly taking him as a back up which means he may ride the bench again for months/years and never get the chance. I would have looked for League One or Two side who needs a starting keeper. That way, he could prove himself and hopefully move up.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

not sure it is the best move as they are clearly taking him as a back up which means he may ride the bench again for months/years and never get the chance. I would have looked for League One or Two side who needs a starting keeper. That way, he could prove himself and hopefully move up.

I agree. Lars has yet to prove he can play 40-50 fixtures, stay healthy, and not hurt his club. I think that's all a keeper needs to prove to have a reasonable shot in England. Generally, I wish more Canadians with passports would take the Hume approach and take their time to find a club where they can establish themselves in the first team.

Leicester confirm signing of Hirschfeld until the end of the season.

Here is the article for Sky Sports

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=252435&CPID=10&CLID=&lid=4&title=Foxes+land+Lars&channel=Championship

Leicester have signed Canadian goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld on a short-term contract.

The 26-year-old has penned a deal until the end of the season and will provide cover for Ian Walker.

Hirschfeld has been looking for a new club after leaving Dundee United where he enjoyed a short spell.

Foxes boss Craig Levein was delighted to bring in the Canadian international and hinted his arrival could see Kevin Pressman leave The Walkers Stadium.

"We want to see if he could be our back-up goalkeeper for next season but we needed to do something quickly with regards to a No.2 to Ian Walker," Levein told the club's official website.

"We have also got the Stuart Taylor loan on the backburner and that's something we'll be looking at more closely after the weekend's FA Cup game against Reading.

"We have brought in Lars as back-up to Ian Walker and the intention with Kevin Pressman is to do a similar sort of deal as we've done with Martin Keown."

Levein also confirmed that the club had cancelled the contract of Keown by mutual consent after telling the player he did not figure in their long-term plans.

"We do feel that the younger players are the way forward for the club," added Levein.

"Martin has been great to work with, he has done a fantastic job for us but he is not the future and he understands that himself.

"And what we've done, is rather than wait until the summer, we've accelerated things a little and hopefully we will be able to use the money that we will gain from Martin leaving, to bring in some other players."

Lars now officially the backup:

Pressman Leaves Leicester

Goalkeeper Kevin Pressman has parted company with Leicester City.

The 37-year-old has had his contract terminated at the Walkers Stadium by mutual consent.

After 19 years at Sheffield Wednesday, Pressman arrived in the East Midlands in the summer after putting pen-to-paper on a one-year deal.

He went on to make 15 appearances for the Foxes in the absence of the injured Ian Walker.

Pressman's departure paves the way for Canadian International Lars Hirschfeld to join up with the Foxes from Dundee United.

Archived