Gold Cup Venues An'd; Groups to be An'd March 2

beachesl

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

As much as I can enjoy this tourny, especially with television coverage, it's a joke.

Don't know how so many of the footballing nations within CONCACAF even allow it to happen under this structure.

Sheesh.

It's all about the money baby. I'm waiting to hear someday that FIFA has given every 3rd WC to the United States of America after it signs a muti-many-year broadcast contract with ABC/ESPN/2/PLUS/DEPORTES with the final played at 100,000+ seat University of Texas Longhorns stadium in July ......avg temperature 38C. Six players are hospitalized with heat exhaustion, but hell FIFA had the highest profit ever!

• 4 weeks later...

RJB

Maple Ridge

Canada

94 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 : 21:50:01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Canada

2 Mexico

3 USA

4 South Africa

5 Cuba

6 Jamaica

7 Costa Rica

8 Guatemala

9 Honduras

10 Panama

11 Trinidad & Tobago

12 Invite

So there it is, with one more invitee. Who knows who it will be. I put my money on Brazil U21 again, which is always nice fo rthe credibility of the tournament. Getting a team like Australia wouldn't be so bad. They'd be competitive, but not dominant.

When do the groups get made... er... I mean drawn. That's right, a draw

beachesl

Edmonton

Canada

2617 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 : 01:02:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Originally posted by RJB

When do the groups get made... er... I mean drawn. That's right, a draw

On Wednesday, March 2, the Groups are to be announced. They will not be "drawn", never have in the Gold Cup.

I'm going to lock this thread and transfer to another, as we have several recent ones, including:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6051

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5805&SearchTerms=Gold

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

It appears as though Colombia have accepted the second invite for the Gold Cup.

Yes, Colombia is the 2nd invited team. They'll be playing out of Miami.

http://www.colfutbol.org/noticias/index.asp?mod=det&id=634

"Selección de Mayores

- Partidos de preparación con Inglaterra en Nueva York el 31 de mayo (por confirmar) y ante Australia el 17 de agosto en Londres.

- Copa de Oro en julio, con sede en Miami".

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Still trying to figure out why everyone thinks Canada should be kept away from the U.S. and Mexico (especially in the eyes of the organizers)?

keeping Canada away from the US and Mexico, would save us the heavy

defeats we would suffer at the hands of our Concacaf rivals. Put Canada in the weakest of all groups and we stand a slim chance of

advancing.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

keeping Canada away from the US and Mexico, would save us the heavy

defeats we would suffer at the hands of our Concacaf rivals. Put Canada in the weakest of all groups and we stand a slim chance of

advancing.

Why even bother playing? We stand no chance! NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER. We should just shut down the program and rebuild for WCQ2110, which is the first we can realistically hope to compete in. Yeah, why bother competing? It didn't do us any good in 2000 or 2002. We should do like the Greeks did at the Euro when they said "screw this, we can't win, why try?" and left the tournament before it started. It's so obvious.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

[

Why even bother playing? We stand no chance! NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER. We should just shut down the program and rebuild for WCQ2110, which is the first we can realistically hope to compete in. Yeah, why bother competing? It didn't do us any good in 2000 or 2002. We should do like the Greeks did at the Euro when they said "screw this, we can't win, why try?" and left the tournament before it started. It's so obvious.

You're my hero. [:P]

Archived