Big Makeover planned for WSC

Cheeta

Been a bit of local football related news in the Winnipeg Free Press this week. Some of it good and some of it bad.

Winnipeg Winter Club lost their indoor soccer facilities to heavy snows over New Years and the pains it's causing the WYSA has draw some attention to the odvious lack of quality facilities in the city. No real news flash but when taken into context with WSC being practicaly shut down for 2 years now and there being no decent soccer facitlity with lighting in the city it highlights a much neglected part of the citys rec. infastructure.

Football continues to be one of the most participated in sports by Winnipeg youth (summer & winter) and is continualy growing annualy at a steady pace. Yet, no decent facitlities.

MSA has announced it's remake plans for WSC which is to house a four plex indoor facility complete with offices and social facilities. There are to a pair of outdoor pitchs to join the multi-plex including a FIFA compliant 10,000 seat FieldTurf park.

Apparently the bodies involved are coming close to securing the goverment moneys needed.

I will say this. When it effects the kids in suburbia, and football is more and more becoming the game of sport in suburban Winnipeg (ie much more mainstream) it gets political attention.

And that's roughly the long and short of it.

Stay tuned. There could be a real expansion of facilities within the city in the next couple of years.

About time.

So much for the rumours that the Soccer Complex was supposed to be

appropriated and developed for commercial use!

Things to keep in mind:

- that the fields are targeted for artificial turf. The costs of

the original grass surface was probably too much and the fields

deteriorated this past year.

- that this does not affect the plans to have a new stadium with

the Blue Bombers that could also host soccer events.

- Bobby McMahon (yes, of FSWC soccer analyst fame) was the original

designer and planner of the original WSC for the Pan Am Games in 1999.

And yes, Cheeta, the South/Southwest area is where the money is

in the Peg. Let's see what clout they have ...;)

Don't know if "The Plan" will save the current WSC sight but it sure sounds like it may get fast tracked if the Federal and Provincial cash is on the table and that might save the grounds. Given the growth in the area it may just be the ideal location (if a bit awkward for parking).

Heard some gossip at season's end last year about this but put it down to blah, blah, blahing. If half of what I also got ear of is true there could be some real good news for the eastend too this year or next. Hard to seperate the half baked gossip from the outright bull**** sometimes.

No dig at the new boroughs intended. People are moving out that way, usualy they have young families and they're keeping the kids active. Essentialy if the market that'll support it is out there, why build elsewhere? Articule read a dozen indoor pitchs wouldn't be enough for the city, and that's probably right. Hell, a dozen half decent outdoor pitchs would be a God send but if two will get the ball rolling towards better times, I'm all for it.

Best of all, a nice super-tight 10,000 seater! Outstanding. The matchs at the Pan Am games and the WCQs where super. With a little training up a crowd could be realy intimidating in such a personal space.

Somebody tell me the local footie powers that be have after a decade finaly gotten over their "Fury failure anxiety" and I'll be one happy Cheeta with something to look forward to in his old age.

I've been meaning to ask, is there a particular reason the city has left the soccer centre in the first place. Why would the city not utilize such a facility and why would local soccer not demand it's use?

Just questions from an outsider!

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I've been meaning to ask, is there a particular reason the city has left the soccer centre in the first place. Why would the city not utilize such a facility and why would local soccer not demand it's use?

Just questions from an outsider!

Good questions. The WSC was a product/result of the Pan Am Games in

1999. When the fields were pristine they were used for WCQ and

friendlies in 2000, as well as a few local events (and a few CSA age

events). In 2003 and 2004 there were weather conditions that

damaged the fields and of course the city budget did not cover

the required maintenance. Even the portable bleachers were still

there, gathering rust.

We had 2 mayoral changes since 1999 and both did not prioritize

the WSC. At one point the city planned to sell the site to

developers, but I guess there may be a change of heart.

Rather than point fingers, it's a good thing that some constructive

plans are now in place as Winnipeg badly needs this facility.

Can't really wait for the Bombers to include soccer in their

plans for a new stadium near the western perimeter.

The WSC was built in the 80's to replace Alexander Park (one field built in the 1950's) and to provide a venue for the 1991 Western Canada Games. The venue received some upgrades - particularly lighting on the south field - for the Pan American Games. The complex had operated for more than a decade before the 1999 Games.

The main problem has been the cost of maintaining three grass fields versus the revenue that could be generated from user fees - paid exclusively by the soccer community. Since the facility opened in 1988 the City of Winnipeg has put no money into the site. The MSA and WYSA have in the past provided varying amounts to subsidize the facility or have invested in capital upgrading. However, at best it has been a break even operation but with insufficient money to set aside for capital maintenance and repairs - hence the current state of the facility.

By constructing an indoor 4 plex and laying artificial turf a number of objectives will be met. The site will operate for 52 weeks a year, new revenue streams will be created from a large increase in the number of visitors and more games (not just soccer) will be played outdoors in the summer months because of the artificial surface.

The Winnipeg Soccer Federation, representing youth, senior mens and senior womens leagues, has a website where more information can be accessed.

http://www.winnipegsoccerfederation.ca

From a local prospective the soccer community can help make this a reality by telling their councillors, provincial MLA's and MP's know how important this project is to the local soccer community. Winnipeg is years behind other western provinces and such a facility is long overdue.

quote:Originally posted by Sweeper

The WSC was built in the 80's to replace Alexander Park (one field built in the 1950's) and to provide a venue for the 1991 Western Canada Games. The venue received some upgrades - particularly lighting on the south field - for the Pan American Games. The complex had operated for more than a decade before the 1999 Games.

Sweeper is absolutely correct. I even forgot that WSC hosted a few CSL games for the Fury in 1991-92. (I particularly remember the

one versus North York where it was pouring all day and my guests

wanted to leave at halftime when the score was 4-0 for the Rockets.)

The WSC was done before the Pan Am 99 games (I stand corrected);

I guess I just remember the upgrades.;)

Ah, but it never looked better than the dressing up for the Pan-Am Games, steel bleachers or no. Surprising how a beer tent or two can change the whole character of a place.

Realy was built on the cheap. The fields weren't so hot and the clubhouse wasn't exactly 1st rate either so where's the advantage of driving across town to play a match any local community club could host? At considerably greater expence I might add.

Vince Leah isn't any worse than WSC excepting the lack of lighting and a grandstand. Well, not a lot worse. Quite sure some seating could go up and floodlights be installed for pretty damn cheap relatively speaking.

But this is a little something different.

I think once the lads start playing on a nice FieldTurff pitch they're going to get spoiled fast and start demanding better. Much the same way all the other indoor facilities suddenly became super-crap after Seven Oaks opened up.

Spectrum. Gateway. The defunct Winter Club. Everybody.

Four indoor fields won't be enough. They'll be booked solid 7 days a week. My God. The idea of being able to buy practice time before midnight! It makes the head spin.

Better have a lounge. Four fields going, at say 14 players per team makes 116 thirsty people (not counting the ref's, timekeepers and bored tag-along girlfriends).

Per hour.

With Guinness on tap.

Archived