Canadian in MLS draft??

bc_soccer_fan

I would say almost definitely not for Friday's main draft. No one saw Felix Brillant getting picked last year, so anything is possible. But with their expanded rosters, I think it's more likely someone will get picked up in the second draft to stock the reserves.

Charles Darkwah and Mathieu Savaria are the only names I've even heard mentioned by anyone and they're not at the combine or on the radar of any of the SuperDraft gurus I've read.

cheers,

matthew

The dynamic of this draft may change a little bit because it has been shortened by a two rounds to four rounds. So essentially 12 fewer players will be drafted in this draft than year's past (60 to 48) despite the addition of two new teams and additional international slots per team. What happens is the league will then hold a four-round draft later to stock the new developmental teams.

That will definately affect draft strategies at this draft.

Karim and Hughes are both juniors, so unless they've made their intentions not to return to school (which I haven't seen anywhere, but possible), they won't be available for the draft this year.

Last year Cann was taken 16th overall (2nd round) by Colorado; Occean was taken 26th overall (3rd round) by Metrostars; Marin Pusek was taken 40th overall (4th round) by San Jose; and Brillant was taken 56th overall (6th round) by New England.

Interestingly with the shortening of the draft, players like Brillant, Andy Dorman and Jeff Parke, who all made contributions to their teams, would not have been taken under this year's format.

The printable schedule from FSW's website states that the draft is not on FSWC, but that schedule often changes. The MLSnet.com website will have full streaming of the entire draft while the tv coverage is only for an hour or essentially the first round. I watched in on the website last year and it was pretty good quality.

Yeah Marshall's a good though. Might be a good TI for the second draft. MLS drafts are nearly impossibly to even guess at. Going into last year most prognosticators thought Pusek would go late and Cann might go near the end or not at all. Instead Cann goes high, Occean comes out of Div II and ends up ahead of Pusek and Brillant goes late. If I recall the MLS draft site didn't have a pic or a bio of Brillant after he got drafted, it totally came out of left field.

So Marshall could go in the first draft or not at all. But I'm sticking with my call that no Canadians will go in the first four rounds. What the strategy (or the rules) for the second draft is I have no idea.

cheers,

matthew

Winston Marshall is in the MLS draft pool which means someone threw his name in to be elligible (since MLS owns all the contracts, anyone drafted has to be in the draft pool and then all the teams get that list). So he may yet get drafted. They're heading into the second round.

I have no idea when that other draft is. It could even be immediately following. I can't see them getting everyone back together in a week or something.

cheers,

matthew

I wouldn't be surprised if Matthew's prediction is true to form. I think Marshall could go in the first four rounds, particularly considering the draft seems to be weighted heavily towards players with defensive tendencies. I hope so, like to see him get that chance especially with more young internationals being allowed this year.

As for the second draft, I believe it would be done via conference call once they determine when they are going to hold it.

Cool. Good for Winston.

My prediction was that no one would go in the first four rounds, so I was wrong. Though when I saw Marshall's name on the list I thought someone must have had interest.

Not sure how much Dallas needs him. They lost RB Bhencke in the expansion draft, but won the Alex Yi lottery (an outside bak I believe and a US U20 nat) and just grabbed Moor (who I think is a CB) so they've been loading up on defenders. That being said I'm not exactly aware of what an FC Dallas depth chart looks like.

cheers,

matthew

FC Dallas is loading up on defenders because they've really lacked competition at those positions the last few years. They don't carry too many internationals at this point and time, particularly junior internationals as the category has changed from transitional international. As far as defenders, they now have Moor, Yi, Corey Gibbs, Steve Jolley, Carey Talley, Chris Gbandi and few other younger players.

I expect that Winston, if he signs, will see more of the reserves than the first team, but this is a team that surrendered the most goals in MLS last year with many of those players already on the roster so who knows.

I wish him luck.

Well I hear Gibbs is going back to Europe, but that's a pretty good backline if they kept it together. Young, but I think Yi, Moor and Gibbs are all at least youth intl for the US. Gbandi decided to play for Liberia internationally, but was supposed to be a US intl prospect solid. Phil Salyer is also a good young prospect (former US U20 and Wedern Bremen youth teamer). Talley and Jolley are longtime MLS vets. They also have David Wagenfuhr who might be expendable (but is probably just going to play with the reserves, he's still pretty young). I can't see Marshall getting a whole lot of playing time, but with the new reserve system, it's not a bad way to get a foot in the door and get some time.

cheers,

matthew

I imagine Gerry and Craig will be quite embarrassed when they realize their mistake in announcing "no Canadians were taken in the MLS Draft" today on Soccercentral. Especially considering they announced part of, and provided studio colour for, the U20 World Cup against Spain in which Winston Marshall played right back. Albeit most of their commentary on Winston was to centre on his rather poor outing. Makes me wonder how much research they did in breaking that story. I cannot remember if they did an Impress the MLS feature on him, but I am pretty sure they did.

However, it was nice to hear Craig's insight again in telling us about the MLS trials for Grande (Galaxy) and Gervais (DC United).

Marshall played left back against Spain and had a poor match. however he played in the center against Australia in the same tournament and was one of the better candians that day as i watched it on eurosport. also; he played in the center against the US in qualifying and i thought he was one of the best that day as well. very strong in the sol campbell mode. hopefully; Dallas sign him and he plays as I think he is a better long term candidate for a central defender role that Arrango who I have to admit had a very good game against spain but I think is too slow for the senior level (as with harmse).

I coached against Winston in U17 - he single-handedly won the U17 Ontario Cup against us when he scored twice against us from the midfield (fyi IIRC his team, North Scarborough, also featured Dave Simpson and Alim Karim)

He, like Atiba (who I've also coached against) played predominantly in the midfield for their youth club careers, so you may see Dallas move him up.

(Wow, a lot of current stars born in '83 played in Ontario - I've coached against Hume, Hutchinson, Marshall & Alim, - all played on the last U20 World Cup team)

Yes, Soccercentral did do an impress the MLS feature on Wright State's Canadians. I find it shocking they said nobody from Canada went in the MLS draft. He was early in third round and Dallas' second pick in the draft and his drafting started a bit of a run on foreign players.

I think he would be well suited for playing against MLS style opposition at either left-back or centre-back (although FC Dallas is thick with central defenders). Dallas does lack a quality left-sided midfielder and their attack suffered greatly last year because of it, thus the opposition keyed on their right midfielder, Ronnie O'Brien. So, I could see them trying him there. Either way, I think he has a good opportunity in front of him.

As for Grande, he'll have to be exceptionally impressive to land one of the coveted senior international slots with the Galaxy. Although with Herzog retired and Moreno now in San Jose, he may have a shot.

Gervais, if he impresses, may have a shot at landing Ryan Nelson's slot in the centre of defence for for DC United. Nelson not only left a hole to fill but a SI spot on the roster. Good luck to Gervais.

quote:
Wow, a lot of current stars born in '83 played in Ontario - I've coached against Hume, Hutchinson, Marshall & Alim, - all played on the last U20 World Cup team)
quote:

You coached and I played agaisnt HUME and ATIBA. I'm also from 83. Already @ a young age you could tell those 2 would be great they were just a step above everyone else.

Archived