• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Racism = Bad

Sensationalism = Bad

DiCanio = Ass

Mussolini = George Bush

Ahh well, might as well join in on the mean-spiritedness of this post.

Just because you don't like dubya and his policies, you shouldn't equate him with Hitler. Hitler was a bad man who committed atrocities the world had never seen before and may never see again. By equating Bush with Hitler cheapens Hitlers victims. GW has not not done anything close to Hitler.

Moonbat.

BTW, ignore the above if you had tongue planted firmly in cheek.

quote:Pesch fan stated, "Ive studied history and Mussolini" which sounds like a claim of expertise to me.
Sorry if it sounded like i was an expert, I never claimed to be an expert, i have studied some history on Mussolini and that was just some interesting anecdotes i came across in some readings about the what is now fascist salute. Let me state for the record I dont have a doctrate in history or anything, so im sorry if ive decieved you in anyway.

And what exactly was historically inaccurate about my post anyways. I got some of the facts form a biography on Rachele Mussolini by Albert Zarca. and a book by christopher Leeds called Italy under Mussolini. these are published works, and nothing neo fascist.

The point of the post was to suggest and alternative and original italian meaning to the salute before it became assimilated to the german meaning that hitler made it to be.

my apologies to you, current champ. I sorta thought that you all had decided mussolini = hitler = fascist. lots of people on the loonie liberal left tar dubya with 'nazi' tag so I figured you were doing the same.

My bad for even getting involved.

Isn't this a soccer forum?

You want history lessons? OK class, settle down and pay attention.

It's a little known fact that Mussolini was actually involved in the founding of AS Roma in 1927. As all good dictators know popular sports combines nicely with populist politics and SS Lazio (the SS has nothing to do with Nazis either so put away that conspiracy theory) was the only club in Rome going back to the turn of the century. So Il Duce goes and makes his own club and then kidnaps a couple Argentines to make sure Italy wins the World Cup as hosts in '34, thus vastly increasing his popular support.

Which makes DiCanio's fascist salute weirdly ironic considering he was celebrating a goal against Roma!

But Lazio is notorious for the extremist political views and overt racism of its fans and players, having displayed banners in support of Serbian war criminal Tiger Arkan around the same time as that infamous spat between Sinisa Mihajlovic (who was outspoken in support of said Serbian war criminal) and Patrick Vieria (who called Mihajlovic a "gypsy" in response to racial taunts, which is apparently a bad thing to call someone in French.) Until the arrival of Fabio Liverani (an Italian international born and raised in Rome who is half Somali) the club hadn't ever signed a player with too much pigment in his skin for fear of the reaction of the Lazio hard core fans, the Ultras.

So here you have fans and players of Lazio giving fascist salutes and hurling racial abuse at fans and players of their great rivals Roma, who were founded as a vehicle for increasing popular support for the fascist party. Weird? No children, just further evidence, if any were needed, that hooligans are generally morons with little grasp of irony, not to mention history.

Paolo di Canio will be forever adored by the Lazio hardcore and he knows how to play to their misguided sympathies. The whole thing just seems silly to me, not nearly as deliberately provocative as that crazy cokehead Mark Bosnich who gave the fascist salute and held a finger under his nose to represent a Hitler moustache to the Tottenham fans, who were largely founded and continue to be supported by the North London Jewish community.

Here endeth the lesson.

On lighter note, in connection with soccer and history lessons and so on, there is a decent book out that tries to equate the goings on in the soccer world with more global trends. I haven't finished it yet, but the author isn't trying to seriously make this equation and there are a load of interesting historical stories about soccer.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?Item=978006621234&Catalog=Books&N=35&Lang=en&Section=books&zxac=1

In relation to canso's spurs story, the author says that there really isn't all that much jewish support for spurs. Rather, fans call themselves "Yids" as a sort of "you don't like us, we don't care" label.

Three quarters thru the book and it is a neat little read.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

Prince Harry... there's another racist.

Not too sure, but he's definitely a young, stupid,

irresponsible, insensitive, idiotic, spoiled royal brat.

He needs to grow up; a trip to Auchwitz with a few survivors

would expedite that development.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

Prince Harry... there's another racist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not too sure, but he's definitely a young, stupid,

irresponsible, insensitive, idiotic, spoiled royal brat.

He needs to grow up; a trip to Auchwitz with a few survivors

would expedite that development.

Well, since this thread is all over the place now, let me take the chance to ride a favorite hobby horse for a moment. Here goes: THIS COUNTRY SHOULD GROW UP AND DUMP THE F***ING MONARCHY.

Okay, I'm alright now.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Free Dominion isn't far right at all. It's utterly and completely conservative, you know, in an "allowing gays to marry denys me my personal human rights" kind of way, but their not racist.

and hows this from the free dominion site...if this isn't hate what is?:

"I, for one, will not willingly send one single cent to the tsunami disaster relief. I will hope for another, bigger wave.

It is called an act of God because God willed it. I notice that God

doesn't see fit to send any earthquakes or tsunamis here on the

prairies.

I wish the damn wave would have washed the whole island of Sri

Lanka into the sea. Every dead Sri Lankan is one less terrorist for the Tigers to raise money for here in Canada..

Shame on Canada for giving MY money away for a bunch of people that don't have more sense than to live next to beach."

If this is the new conversative party count me out!

Redhat, Harry's act was premeditated, he must have gone out of his way to get a nazi jersey before wearing it. The alternative is he has them in his closet and he wore it on a whim. Don't know which is worse.

Harry's act wasn't even a halloween stunt, not that haloween makes it better, unless everyone at halloween is wearing devil costumes, since thats what Hitler was - a devil.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Redhat, Harry's act was premeditated, he must have gone out of his way to get a nazi jersey before wearing it. The alternative is he has them in his closet and he wore it on a whim. Don't know which is worse.

Harry's act wasn't even a halloween stunt, not that haloween makes it better, unless everyone at halloween is wearing devil costumes, since thats what Hitler was - a devil.

Read the relevant post here: http://fence.blogspot.com/ in regards to the Harry incident. At the very least, an interesting counterpoint.

Found this interesting article from a pop culture site I vist:

CAN WE KICK IT? Why European Football Can't Shake Its Racist Image

http://popmatters.com/sports/features/050119-europeanfootball.shtml

A few lines I found interesting:

"The harsh reality is that football, more than any other cultural outlet, reflects European society. No one ever stands up and screams at the cinema screen, and other sports come with too many traditions of fair play and gentlemanly manners. Football is the one arena where irrational, tribal behaviour isn't just tolerated, but positively encouraged."

"Indeed, Lazio and Real Madrid have even had the audacity to appeal punitive fines levied against them for their fans' abusive behaviour."

Archived