I've found the problem with the CSA

soccer dad

According to this forum we have a bunch of incompetents running our programs while the true experts sit in front of their computers complaining all day instead of doing something to better our future in the soccer world. Here is a challenge for you who think you could do it better.Do it! Find a young prospect,spend some time with him,train him,condition him,coach him one on one,then help him to get exposed to the most competetive play, even if it means he plays with older players,challenge him,make him excel.I'll meet you all with your players on the national team someday and we will see how you all measured up.Mark my words I will be there with a superstar like you have never seen before.The secret is that you both must truly love the game to commit and devote yourself to it.Look at any pro sport,take the best of the best,Wayne Gretsky,Micheal Jordan,Tiger Woods,they started very young and they had an adult who was commited to their future on a constant and consistent basis.Great soccer is played with your feet 3rd,your mind 2nd,and you heart first.See you on the pitch, if you you got it in you experts!

The people at the CSA, get paid to do what they do. If my hydro goes out and the service is terrible and I took your advice, I would build my own genarator and create my power grid, instead of picking up a phone and calling my local MP to do something about it.

While 97% of people involved with soccer in Canada do it for the love of the game, those that get paid to be involved, can/should be held responsible for their lack of performance.

It comes with the turf and if they can't handle it, they should look for another line of work.

The CSA isn't running a U-11 team.

Dear soccer dad;

Please read more threads before accusing the members here of being do-nothings behind a computer keyboard. Many , if not all, members play the game, have sons/daughters who play, coach teams, are involved in the organizations in their communities, are family members of Canadian National Team players, give money to teams, referee games at all levels, and much more.

THAT is why many of us 'complain'-we have a stake in the game in this country.

Please don't assume we're armchair quarterbacks and nothing more.

-Transferred from another eliminated thead called "Canada Soccer Supporters?" that is basically the same as this one, to prevent unecessary proliferation of threads -moderator

-soccer dad

bloomfield

Canada

4 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 : 05:53:07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty new to these forums,but I've read quite a few and for a group of "supporters" there seems to be alot of negativity out there.More positive comments might encourage our players a little more.Or do you assume that our national team and other canucks abroad never view this site?I would.

-Loud Mouth Soup

443 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 : 09:27:02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We know for a fact National Team members view this board-some even post, or their wives/husbands/brothers/fathers do.

See my answer to your other thread about assuming...

Hi Soccerdad. Yes we all hope we do see talent like we've never seen it before in your son, that'd be great since everyone here is a fan of the MNT. If your son gets on that team one day and he has about a week to get to know his teamates, how much difference will he make? You seem to be assuming something, you're assuming that the parents of all the current national team players didn't do exactly what you're doing now. If only the love of eleven fathers, and the love of eleven boys for the game was enough to hoist the world cup. That'd be something special.

quote:Originally posted by soccer dad

According to this forum we have a bunch of incompetents running our programs while the true experts sit in front of their computers complaining all day instead of doing something to better our future in the soccer world. Here is a challenge for you who think you could do it better.Do it! Find a young prospect,spend some time with him,train him,condition him,coach him one on one,then help him to get exposed to the most competetive play, even if it means he plays with older players,challenge him,make him excel.I'll meet you all with your players on the national team someday and we will see how you all measured up.Mark my words I will be there with a superstar like you have never seen before.The secret is that you both must truly love the game to commit and devote yourself to it.Look at any pro sport,take the best of the best,Wayne Gretsky,Micheal Jordan,Tiger Woods,they started very young and they had an adult who was commited to their future on a constant and consistent basis.Great soccer is played with your feet 3rd,your mind 2nd,and you heart first.See you on the pitch, if you you got it in you experts!

Try to sell it to the Hargreaves' family. Hopefully by the time your son is a teenager, some of us at our computers will have helped rid Canadian soccer of Kevan Pipe. When your son is old enough he will be able to read about this bleak period of our soccer history. The facts about Kevan Pipe will speak for themselves. Good luck with your son. Enjoy being a Dad and make every moment count. Life is short and unfortunately many of our sons were denied the opportunities that await your boy.

give yer head a shake soccer dad.

what i see as the biggest problem with the CSA is this: i coach a u11 rep team and we are completely on our own. as is every other club we play. there is no mutual goal. there is no contact with those above us. even the chilliwack soccer association pretty much leaves us alone. a step in the right direction is a full-time head coach for the association who can work on a mutual goal for all teams, but beyond that there is nothing. the CSA needs to address targets and have them implemented in every single club. clubs should not be bits of sand forced together by the tide.

Your are probably right that the CSA is a bunch of incompetents. You are also probably right that we voyageurs are experts. What you propose for each of us to develop one player is already being done all over our country. You are not doing it obviously otherwise you would know. Many of our great players were developed by their coaches, some of those coaches were their own dad. I personally coached hundreds of kids, some had great potential and could have play0ed at a pro level. The reason these or other kids' careers did not flourish can be summarized as follows IMHO. Soccer is Canada is not a financially rewarding career if at all that, parental support is not there and in many cases it is negative, it costs many for coaches to coach and for players to train, there are no local role model soccer heroes, and finally inspite of our high youth registration numbers, soccer is not a popular sport in Canada.

Looking through the original post and the responses, I see some a lots of commitment to Canadian soccer, and I see concerns expressed.

Many of us have volunteered as coaches, managers, administrators.

I have coached and still coach, but I can't coach elite players because I can't demonstrate top skills to them For example, I can't show them how to score off a corner kick with my back to goal using a bicycle kick. Unfortunately there are few coaches who can demonstarte such advanced skills, and I doubt that many paid coaches hired by Provincial soccer associations can demonstrate advanced skills. Instead they tend to be average coaches with good organizing skills and superior connections.

I agree with Bettermirrors concern that he wants the CSA to organize things better. It would be good if the CSA or the BCSA had a curriclum, and standardized tests so that coaches could train their players according to the curriculum, and also test their players and see if they are meeting the standards.

I also share GMans view that we have to expect more from the paid people in soccer at the local, Provincial and National level. That responsibility also extends to those holding leadership positions in soccer associations.

. Here is a challenge for you who think you could do it better.Do it! Find a young prospect,spend some time with him,train him,condition him,coach him one on one,then help him to get exposed to the most competetive play, even if it means he plays with older players,challenge him,make him excel.

Isn't Idealism great? What a load.

Your points are taken and strengthen my beliefs. Let me try to put this another way. Personally I am looking longer term, where will Canadian soccer be 6 or 7 years from now?There are hundreds of thousands of parents running their kids to arenas all over the place thinking they will be the next Gretsky or Sidney Crosby.I could care less if the Nhl folded.If our passion for soccer was shared by as many as there are hockey fanatics,we would produce better players,have full capacity attendance at games,thereby creating more revenue and media coverage thus having better programs with better coaching and administration.It is a vicious circle where each factor will affect each other one.I don't think that we can change the CSA overnight,but in the long run if we each make a small contribution we can encourage players,promote the sport,(as a new member,my first impression was that soccer is in such poor hands in this country what is the point?)That is not good promotion.Lets focus on improvements,there is no future in the past.I think that we can all agree on where we would like to see the sport in 10 years.Because this is going to take time I think that we need to look at young players so that we are ready when the time comes.Yes, soccer is growing in popularity here and we need to jump on that and help it to flourish.Small steps will eventually bring us to our common goal.i don't think that we can convert non fans to fans, we need to create new fans in our youth and their families.Can the voyaguers rally corporate sponsorship to raise funds for better progams.If we were fundraisers who contributed substantially to the CSA would they not take our voice seriously.What I really want to know is what can each one of us do individually to change our situation?

quote:Originally posted by massimo

So I guess you are too good to waste your time with things like that. Helping a youngster excel in something he loves.

You want Idealism, you got it.

If you are going to invest that amount of time into something, wouldn't it be better that it is not something so petty as soccer? How about homelessness or drug addiction, for example. In better days I helped people off the street, not a little kid bend a free kick.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

If you are going to invest that amount of time into something, wouldn't it be better that it is not something so petty as soccer? How about homelessness or drug addiction, for example. In better days I helped people off the street, not a little kid bend a free kick.

Yeah, I guess it's foolish of me to try to inspire our youth,to help them work towards their dreams and goals.I should just let them go aimlessly through life with nothing to strive for.I shouldn't teach them about the pride they should have for representing our country and tell them the millions that they would make playing pro in europe wouldn't be very useful anyway,for themselves or to serve better causes.Hell, maybe I'll inspire them to be a drug addict or homeless.

"Petty as soccer"spoken like a true fan. I really hope you posted that just to get me fired up, not because that is the way you see it.Dreams and aspirations fight many evils in life.Passion and inspiration in what ever you do in life will see some positive results.A journey of a million miles begins with a single step.

Petty as soccer... I knew I'd get burned on that one, but ask the 100 or so Voyageurs I met this year about my commitment to soccer and they'll tell ya I should be committed. [:P] I love soccer, but vs real world problems, ... well sorry.

I'm sick of everyone ramming the 'Children are the Future' PC ****e down my throat. **** the future lets fix the goddammed present. The future will take car of itself. Your post was overwhelming in it's self righteous, obnoxiousness. You start by insulting everyone and then switch to the vial '... someone please think of the children!!!' approach.

Where is Bloomfield? In the new Canadian province of Happyland? I never met a Voyageur I didn't like and I even promised Soccerbeast a drink if we ever met, but you, sir are a ... ...well I barely believe you are even legit. (cough cough) NAMBLA (cough).

Petty as soccer... I knew I'd get burned on that one, but ask the 100 or so Voyageurs I met this year about my commitment to soccer and they'll tell ya I should be committed. [:P] I love soccer, but vs real world problems, ... well sorry.

Problem is this is a forum about supporting soccer and not 'real world problems' as you put it.

I'm sick of everyone ramming the 'Children are the Future' PC ****e down my throat. **** the future lets fix the goddammed present. The future will take car of itself. Your post was overwhelming in it's self righteous, obnoxiousness. You start by insulting everyone and then switch to the vial '... someone please think of the children!!!' approach.

Where is Bloomfield? In the new Canadian province of Happyland? I never met a Voyageur I didn't like and I even promised Soccerbeast a drink if we ever met, but you, sir are a ... ...well I barely believe you are even legit. (cough cough) NAMBLA (cough).

Yeah, we should all become drunken dope fiends, quit our positions as coaches, refs and soccer administrators, adopt Hunter S Thompson as our patron saint, become soccer hooligans while following our chosen team around, and Canada will soon be a top football power.

Just when they get ready to lift it, they find another mad cow in Alberta, and they are going to BAN ALBERTA BEEF AGAIN!:D

Actually Dave, I'm hurt. You didn't hear about my peacekeeping at Commonwealth? Just ask Nazz about how I stood at the edge of our section, and settled all the problems with the Honduran fans?

Read all the threads about my shenanigans and the repeated phrase is 'things could have gotten out of hand' and truthfully, I was always the reason it didn't. Me getting my head busted open was the release that crowd needed. Tossing that big Honduran, and shaking his buddies hand settled a bad situation. Stopping security from asssaulting Canadian fans in a Canadian park stopped a riot.

I'm not the Current Champ for nothing, ****! I got the bloody scarf to prove it! The reason I got such a big smile on my face in the Police car is because there were 20 Southsiders hassling the cops about me with a chant of "WE'LL PAY HIS BAIL!" 20 people I had met 2 or 3 times.

My only defence is that I made no offence. Read all my posts and I never once criticize the players or the WC team. I used to criticise the CSA organization, but I have only been positive since the beginning of the Semi final round.

I'm a supporter and the only illusions of grandeur I possess are meager ones.

Maybe I can increase support for the games and I guarantee the people who saw gamews with me had a good time! I've brought about 10 people to WCQ games who otherwise would never have. Times that by the members on this and other boards and we'd have a much bigger turnout.

This is a CANADIAN SOCCER SUPPORTER forum and I'm #1 baby. Not a gawd dam ass talking forum with delusions of utopia.

This is a CANADIAN SOCCER SUPPORTER forum and I'm #1 baby. Not a gawd dam ass talking forum with delusions of utopia.

Meager illusions of grandure? Not quite a contradiction, I don't think...but kind of a funny concept.

I'm not the number one socer fan here, but I got plenty of delusions of utopia. hoo boy, do I ever. I actually think there might be fadeing hope for the future of our society, maybe even for Candian soccer (but that is not my obsession).

In my delusion of utopia 85-90% of the automobiles on the road are buses, tractor-trailors, and emergency vehicals. In my delusion of most people take public transit or cycle or (gasp) walk because their comunity is built to accomidate pedestrain transportation. I my delusion, more people fall into sports because they plenty of spare time to kick a ball around or slap a puck or toss a frisbee, and they have plenty of spare time because our ecconomy doesn't use us like machines, we use the ecconomy to make life a hoot. (hoot-hoot!)

Kids should first be encouraged to learn a practical skill, like basket weaving or horse wispering. Raising a child with hopes of sports doesn't strike me as a good bet.

Meager illusions of grandure? Not quite a contradiction, I don't think...but kind of a funny concept.

I'm not the number one socer fan here, but I got plenty of delusions of utopia. hoo boy, do I ever. I actually think there might be fadeing hope for the future of our society, maybe even for Candian soccer (but that is not my obsession).

In my delusion of utopia 85-90% of the automobiles on the road are buses, tractor-trailors, and emergency vehicals. In my delusion of most people take public transit or cycle or (gasp) walk because their comunity is built to accomidate pedestrain transportation. I my delusion, more people fall into sports because they plenty of spare time to kick a ball around or slap a puck or toss a frisbee, and they have plenty of spare time because our ecconomy doesn't use us like machines, we use the ecconomy to make life a hoot. (hoot-hoot!)

Kids should first be encouraged to learn a practical skill, like basket weaving or horse wispering. Raising a child with hopes of sports doesn't strike me as a good bet.

Ah, yes. But sport as an escape, real or otherwise, from the sad, stiffling, and all too often violent reality of the "real world" (as personal experience interputs) isn't so bad either. Is it?

A lot of kids find their happy place in sport. And if sport becomes one of those defensive walls which might allow them some sort of chance of a happy childhood all the power to them. Bless the coachs, organizers, and *cough* refs. Grand people all. And sometimes, far more important than they ever thought they would be.

What I'm saying is, THINK ABOUT THE KIDS! JUST THINK ABOUT THE KIDS!!

I however wouldn't like any Candy. Candy being in my experience, a 60-something truck driver/Elvis impersonator with too much attitude who I worked with years ago. Still have a scar to proove it too.

Archived