No Nhl, No Prob,we have Swedish Elite League

argh1

I was wondering when this would happen. RSN is advertising Swedish Elite league (5 games starting to-day 'till Jan 13th).Along with AHL,CHL & Spengler Cup.

TSN is showing WJHC. Hmmmmmm wonder if they'll get the Russian Elite League :D. Looks like RSN has positioned themselves better for no NHL at all this year then TSN.

But there'll still be those so-called fans that want nothing but NHL.

I'll call them NHL fans and the rest of us HOCKEY FANS.

(I'm getting my earplugs now) [}:)]

EDIT:

Just to add to the Euro hockey thing. I see British Elite league's site is now part of the NHL.COM network strange ?

The Elite League is playing cross league games this year with the British National League but not with the English Premier Ice Hockey League (not to be confused with the lower level English National Ice Hockey League). But the BNL plays against EPIHL teams in Cups

British Elite League site British National League Site English Premier Ice Hockey League English National Ice Hockey League

And we can't keep one Canadian soccer league going :(

Watching Swedish elite league hockey makes for better progamming than many of the alternatives available on the all sport networks these days. However, much like watching Brazilian or Argentian soccer on FSWC, if there is no emotional attachment or rooting interest for the clubs, I find it hard to sit down and watch a game from the beginning to end unless you are culturally rooted to those championships. For that reason, I predict that this experiment will fail and not gain much of an audience. In fact, I'd go as far as to predict that the ratings for these matches ( Swedish Elite league) will not exceed those attained by Premiership soccer. That is because those who sit down to watch the EPL do have a emotion interest. And there are many more of them than there are who hold an emotional attachment to swedish Hockey clubs.

I have watched bits and pieces of soccer from various leagues around the globe in the past three months on FSWC. I have found interesting and worthwhile to a certain extent. Especialy, when you get a chance to see a player like Carlos Tevez. But aside from the Championships from Italy, England and Germany, I cannot say that my interest will be sustained in the long term for the other leagues. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game. In fact I have found the quality from France and Argentina to be surprisingly strong given that the talent is much less heralded than what is found in Italy, England, Spain, and Germany. Coversely I have found the quality of play from Brazil to be much weaker than I imagined.

It would also help to now a little more about the clubs and their history. I may not have preferred side in the Chelsea vs Barcelona CL matchup, but I would definitley watch that game given the chance. But would I look forward with the same anticipation in watching Boca versus Newell's in soccer or Modo versus Stockholm in hockey

Similarly, the play in todays Swedish elite hockey game was refreshingly wide open and entertaining. Far better than your typical midseason NHL game that lacks any flow and is dominated by clutter and congestion. But will any of us be still watching in two months?

Free Kick :

I have to ask you, do you go to many St. Mikes or Ice Dogs games?

Just wondering , I was one of the 5,180 at the Wildcats vs Mooseheads game to-night and the atmosphere was wonderfull all for 20 loonies.I might go back Wednesday for the Bathust game (if life allows) Of course NHL to me is a TV sport :(

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Good god, there's four hockey leagues in Britain?

Well we're not sure if they actually play or just post results on the net.Also not that I've been to Britain to see a game, but it looks like they play in what we'd use for tier 2 Junior A rinks mostly.The earlier answer about Wade Belak revealed that the rink size for Coventry Blaze is 2,700.

Which is about the same size as the Moncton Beavers play in , in the Maritime Jr League.

Desigol : How do the Belfast Giants do , does any-one in N.Ireland really care?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Free Kick :

I have to ask you, do you go to many St. Mikes or Ice Dogs games?

Just wondering , I was one of the 5,180 at the Wildcats vs Mooseheads game to-night and the atmosphere was wonderfull all for 20 loonies.I might go back Wednesday for the Bathust game (if life allows) Of course NHL to me is a TV sport :(

I went to St Mikes arena to see an OHL game once last year and about half a dozen times the year before. Including some play off games. Like most people who go to St Mikes arena for the first time, I was very surprised at how small the place is. Its hard to believe that Major Junior hockey is played there given that the arena looks very much like your typical small town ( or small University) area. If I am not mistaken the capacity is in the nieghborhood of 1500. The seating is comprised maybe of 6 rows of benches in which most people are standing on. The cost was very reasonable but I do not recall how much a ticket costs. It certainly was quite a bit less than 20 loonies. The entertainment was well worth the price but I just wish that the locals would support the team better. Its not like the place was empty for any of the games I attended but, during the playoffs against Belleville two years ago, the travelling Belleville supporters far out numbered the St Mikes fans. The level of support and noise made it sound like a road game for St Mike's.

The team can't possibly be making money. But they do have a very wealthy owner who bought team several years ago and runs it from his home in the Carribean. The same owner, Eugene Melnyk, purchased the Ottawa Senators last year.

Never been to see an Ice Dogs or Battalion game. But, from what I know, they do have the type of facility and seating capacity that you might exect to see in the CHL.

St. Michaels' College School Arena is a fantastic place to watch a Hockey game. The arena is ten minutes from my house, so I'm a regular there when I'm in town. Having made it out to a few Ottawa 67's games at the more modern Civic Centre, I can say without a doubt that the better overall experience belongs to SMCSA. The place oozes a sense of history, what with pictures of the many St. Mikes NHL alumni lining the walls, and generally the gameday experience put forward is free of the patronizing gimmicks and foolish whistles and bells that ruin the experience in most NHL or Juniour Hockey venues these days.

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

I thought St. Mike's arena had individual seats going all the way around it, with the jumbotron atop centre ice? I know I played their once. We're talking Bathurst and St. Clair? Or am I wrong

Yes, it's on Bathurst and St. Claire, however you must be thinking of a different arena. St. Mikes only has an antiquicated wall board and not anything even resembling a jumbotron. The seats are all benches.

Archived