Crosby & The WJHC team

argh1

I know it's not soccer! But with the president of Maple Leaf Foods,director of Canada Bread & McCains Foods forking out (pun intended) 3 million dollars for a QMJHL franchise and this tourney being the best hockey on TV recently the Canadian hockey guy in me comes out.

Every year we hear this is the best Junior team ever!

The new rink in Winnipeg looked good on TV and the support was wonderful.

But is this Sidney's coming out party? He's only 17 and is the only player that has to wear a full shield (as he's under 18) on the team. Is this the year Canada erases not winning this tourney since '97.

Do we all realize that of the 56 CHL teams (58 in 2005-06) 47 (49 in 2005-06) teams are Canadian based and we can see these guys weekly. Outside of Patrice Bergeron who plays for Providence Bruins of the AHL 21 of the 22 man roster plays for CHL teams and only Shawn Belle plays with an American based CHL team (TRI-CITY)

But Bergeron is the exeption who doesn't currently play in the CHL thus 21 of the 22 man roster plays in the CHL.........Providence is in the AHL (minor pro......NHL farm) and yes I added CHL (and that's all I edited to original post) to Shawn Belle's team as apparently you were confused by my meaning of American based teams . I meant only US based CHL teams. But I can see the confusion in that without CHL , I was saying Shawn Belle was the only player on an American based team.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Every year we hear this is the best Junior team ever!

This is definitely not that. It looks to be a weaker year across the board, but this is a good Canadian team. Unless the Czechs and Russians are stronger than I'm expecting, I think it will be a repeat of last year's final.

I think the Americans have to be the favourites on home ice though and I don't like our goaltending that much. Though of the four, I think they picked the right two. That being said I hear Montoya's struggling at Michigan, so maybe the US isn't as solid in net as they're expected to be.

I was also disappointed in a couple of the picks for the final team. I don't think we'll struggle to score, but after Bergeron (and possibly Crosby) I think the best pure sniper around was Fehr and they dropped him. He and Stone are both goal-scorers who can play gritty. I know there's some question about Fehr's attitude, but I think he's significantly better than MacArthur and he and Stone both have a little more upside than Colliton. We've got two strong scoring lines, so it likely won't matter, but it's the only move I'd question.

cheers,

matthew

The americans have a jinx on home ice.The last jr tourny held in boston was a bust on the ice there were just brutel some hockey experts said it very well could be the americans could not deal with the presure of having home ice in front of there fans and all of the media attention.At the gate it was one of the worse supported tounrys.There was a tournemant a while back and the results were the same.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

The best line I heard about this tourney was from the ESPN2 feed on the USA vs Switzerland game. In Canada this is like the Super Bowl where we Americans are just learning about this.

Well, that statement is simply untrue though its nice to see the Americans starting to get their excuses lined-up this early. But this tourney is just not the same when its played in North America on that bloody small ice-surface. I bet its not the same for the players either. North Dakota versus, say, Switzerland. Ouch!

It is true in a way: thanks to TSN's broadcasting of the tourny, Canadians have started taking the tournament more and more seriously every year, probably topping the WCh.

A bit how the Gold Cup became a regular fixture once there was regular coverage. And the Algarve Cup is never on TV so it rarely makes waves, despite the calibre of play).

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well, that statement is simply untrue though its nice to see the Americans starting to get their excuses lined-up this early. But this tourney is just not the same when its played in North America on that bloody small ice-surface. I bet its not the same for the players either. North Dakota versus, say, Switzerland. Ouch!

It makes no difference, the size of the ice. I hear that the leagues in Europe are experiencing the exact same offensive shortages that the NHL is. And anyways, the hockey being played in North Dakota has been some of the most entertaining I've seen in a long while. There's been some terrific goals scored, primarily by the Canadians and the Russians, and the that Russia-USA game was a an absolute gem. Terrific stuff!

Belarus and Germany are relagated to be replaced by Latvia and Ukraine next year.

Crosby's last game in this tourney they think. Man did he have hands of stone vs Czech Republic or what.

Ovechkin and the Russians will be a nasty challenge. C'mon boys let's not make it three tourneys and only three loses all in the GOLD medal game.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Actually it is Latvia and Norway that promote to the Elite group next year. Ukraine finished 5th in their group behind such hockey powers as Slovenia, Poland and Denmark. At least they finished ahead of Estonia.

Yeah I was trying to promote Ukraine on my own I guess. Apologies to Norwegian hockey fans everywhere.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Actually it is Latvia and Norway that promote to the Elite group next year. Ukraine finished 5th in their group behind such hockey powers as Slovenia, Poland and Denmark. At least they finished ahead of Estonia.

Ever had a chance to look at the IIHF web page? apparantly there also exists a group three tournament that include countries like Mexico and south africa. I cannot imagine where the mexican teams plays and practises. [8D]

Here are the other teams:

BUL / ISL / MEX / NZL / RSA / TUR

the venue for games in Mex is Mexico city.

here is the link

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/tournam/tournaments.htm#

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

COME ON SING ALONG!!!!

SIX - ONE FOR CANADA

SIX - ONE FOR CANADA

SIX - ONE FOR CANADA

SIX - ONE FOR CANADA

SIX - ONE FOR CANADA

SIX - ONE FOR CANADA

YAH BAAAAABBY!!!!

DOE RA ME FA SO .........ME ME ME ME

Out scored the opposition (?) 41-7

Dominating is the only word .

"THE MAPLE LEAF OUR EMBLEM TRUE......THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER.....GOD SAVE OUR LAND AND HEAVEN BLESS...THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER"

Or am I just one of the old guys that remember singing that song in elementry school.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

yeah **** I just realized that I have been watching this toureny for 11 years and I could swear there was always the plate. crazy yankees changing it around ;) heheheh

IIRC they got rid of the plate in either 2001 or in 2002. The plates are still given out for the Division I, II and III U-18 and U-20 championships. The trophy is the same style as that given out for the Senior World Championship as well as for the women's.

Archived