What's with Jaime Peters???

Luis_Rancagua

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the BBC:

Peters is set for move to Ipswich

Ipswich are set to sign Canadian teenager Jaime Peters after fighting off competition from Manchester United, Chelsea, Derby and Millwall.

The 17-year-old, who can play in midfield or attack, will then link up with the Suffolk club in May.

Manager Joe Royle said: "Signing Jaime is a great coup for this club.

"We had useful allies in Frank Yallop, the former Ipswich player who is now manager of Canada, and our defender Jason de Vos, who captains them."

Although Ontario-born Peters is already a full international with four caps, he will not be able to join Ipswich's promotion campaign as international regulations prevent him from playing until he is 18 in May.

Royle added: "He is an outstanding prospect and will keep active with games for his country at various age levels, before coming here and going straight into our first-team squad."

Straight into a promotion candidate's first team? Is this kid that good, or is this more hype?

Ipswich fan here.

Very peased with the signing of Peters he sounds a very good prospect and he probably came to the right club as we have an excellent record in developing young players.

shame he cant play for us any sooner , but if we are allready guaranteed promotion and dont need anymore points then im sure peters will start against Brighton.

Our Squad is also tiny so any additions are welcome !

quote:Originally posted by RJB

So first it was the transfer window, and now we have to wait until he's 18?

This is incredible. No disrespect to Jamie Peters, but could it be that he isn't the talent that people make him out to be? I've said all along that he didn't belong in all those WCQ, and now it seems that his relative dissapearance confirms that.

Man, im gonna give u a fricken medal for that prediction... hes deffinatly gonna get lost in the a-league and heck never have a chance to play in england...let alone the premiership at age of 18...

:) muaahahah

Timotas I couldn't agree with you more. Politics plays a huge part of this lad's promotion. Jamie has alot of talent but playing for the mens team is such an insult to the hundreds of more talented older more experienced players who did work hard and never turned their noses up to attending national practices. He is acting like a prima donna and the CSA is sucking it all it hoping that he will be our Freddy....I also agree with you regarding Uccello...again, politics, and a father who promotes(pimps)his boy shamelessly

quote:Originally posted by nationalparent

Timotas I couldn't agree with you more. Politics plays a huge part of this lad's promotion. Jamie has alot of talent but playing for the mens team is such an insult to the hundreds of more talented older more experienced players who did work hard and never turned their noses up to attending national practices. He is acting like a prima donna and the CSA is sucking it all it hoping that he will be our Freddy....I also agree with you regarding Uccello...again, politics, and a father who promotes(pimps)his boy shamelessly

Wow, this seems rather unfair. Personally, I'm glad Jaime and his people took time to assess where best to start his professional career. I would advise the same for any individual, in any profession, especially somebody so young. Seems harsh, your assessment.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Man, im gonna give u a fricken medal for that prediction... hes deffinatly gonna get lost in the a-league and heck never have a chance to play in england...let alone the premiership at age of 18...

:) muaahahah

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, there is currently a lot of stock being put in to the fact that Peters played a few full internationals for Canada (though I strongly believe he shouldn't have.)

In an article, the Ipswich manager stated how impressed he was with that fact, and even admitted to not really seeing much of Peters on the pitch.

I'm worried that expectations are now far too high for this lad, and he will not be able to live up to them.

And honestly, as lost as he looked on the pitch during qualifying, I'm very worried he will struggle.

But I suppose only time will tell.

nationalparent it seems to me that Jaime has been on the National programs beckon call,going from Full national team duty to the Under 20's spending little time at home. This would certainly establish a committment to the CSA. Secondly, the players such as DeVos hold Jaime in high respect and thus Jason wanting him on his team and further teammates on the National team have themselves promoted and supported his involvement on the full team. Let's promote the boy because first and foremost he deserves it, secondly there aren't many successful stories that motivate our Canadian scene.

Good Luck to the kid

Perhaps if we look hard enough we can find another Canadian teenage to savage? Peters looked in over his head at during WCQ, but so too did Josh Simpsom and he has done well enough with Millwall.

I admit that Canada's glowing international reputation as a producer of World Class soccer talent and our lofty world ranking might convince a seasoned Profesional manager on a players merits due simply to the fact that plays for the national team every now and then. But I prefer to think that they might actually have liked what they saw during the trial and felt his occasional national team cap merely support their view. I could be wrong of course, as dozens of Canadian and Brazilian duds have fooled managers brighter than Joe Royle.

Helloooh! We're Canada!

quote:Originally posted by nationalparent

I think your also very harsh on your statements on these two Boys who have worked hard without there parents I think you should take a good look at yourself in front of a mirror and ask yourself the question why you wrote this. If you have anything to offer than offered it with facts, names etc.... What I got from your post Is you need help to explain why you did not make the team or your son. Maybe I can help by offering you his dads Email address! You just may learn something how to get it without hurting you! Let me know!

Timotas maybe you have something to offer as well on this testicoli

Great stuff for Peters and for soccer in Canada. He's still so young and it's so early but so far so good. He made a great choice to go to Ipswich. Having Devos around is going to be huge for him as he develops. I thought while he might not have been completely ready for the WC side, he did show bigtime potential. He wasn't really out of place either, compared to most of the other regulars.

I don't understand all this negative stuff on the kid(smells of jealousy). We should be praising this kind of news. He turned away Chelsea and Man Utd! Thats at least 2 Canadians that I know of that have turned away ManU(Thunder Dan)I love it. Best of luck to Peters and Devos. If only we could get Grande in the side now. Where do I buy my Ipswich gear?

Does anyone really think a club will sign a player simply on how he is marketed, or because this person said he is worth it?

Ipswich will be paying money for his services!

I don't have any facts but like any manager, before signning a player he does his homework. As well, before a manager states he will put a player like Peters straight into the first team, there is more reason than just 'he is 17 and played international matches for Canada'.

If Yallop and DeVos reccommended Peters to Ipswich. This must mean he does have the potential to play and develop at that level. Most you guys here mention 'he doesn't have what it takes'. But I think otherwise, look at Josh Simpson, he didn't have the best WCQ either, neither did de Guzman, or Hutch for that matter.

I am convinced he will develop into the player everyone around him says he will become. I am happy for Peters and hope the best to him.

Archived