CONCACAF Champions Cup 2005

Montry

2005 CONCACAF Champions' Cup

Quarterfinal Series

First leg – 9 March; Second leg – 16 March

QF1

Pumas UNAM (MEX) vs. CD Olímpia (HON)*

QF2

D.C. United (USA)* vs. Harbour View FC (JAM)

QF3

CF Monterrey (MEX)* vs. CSD Municipal (GUA)

QF4

Kansas City Wizards (USA)* vs. Deportivo Saprissa (CRC)

* - Host First-Leg

Semifinal Series

First leg – 6 April

Second leg – 13 April

Final Series

First leg – 4 May

Second leg – 11 May

What are your predicitons?

Mine (aggregate scores);

QF:

Pumas 4 - 2 Olimpia

DC United 4 - 0 Harbour View FC

Monterrey 3 - 2 CSD Municipal

Wizards 1 - 3 Deportivo Saprissa

SF:

Pumas 3 - 0 Dc United.

Monterrey 3 - 3 Deportivo Saprissa, Monterrey wins on Pk.

Final:

Pumas 2 - 1 Monterrey.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.unafut.com/Noticias/default.asp?id=5432

The FOX SPORTS INTERNATIONAL chain reached an agreement with the members of CONCACAF to receive the exclusive rights to the Champions Cup, therefore they will be the only broadcaster of these games.

Part of this agreement is that the runner-up of the Champions Cup 2005 will be invited to participate in the Copa Sudamericana which takes place during October-December 2005 and the winner will represent CONCACAF in the World Club Championship, to be held in Japan the 11th-18th of December of this year.

The teams in the World Club Cup will participate for a total of $15 million American Dollars, with the prizes varying from $1 million for the sixth place team to $5 million for the Champion

CONCACAF reached the agreement with FOX sports as an important step to motivate the growth, visibility and stature of the Champions Cup. As a result, for the first time, we are pleased to be able to provide a prize and the opportunity to win a place in additional competitions(I might not be right on the second half of that sentence.)

-Coments of the Secretary General, Chuck Blazer, in an official communication.

Yet again... Where are the Canadian Teams?

Is there any evidence that the possible Canadian teams, ie: Montreal or London this year, or Vancouver in the past, have ever formally asked the CSA to request CONCACAF for inclusion? It appears, giving the static nature of the CSA, that it would have to start there, altho the CSA should have been pro-active.

If the Belize and Monteserrat beer-league teams can participate in the preliminaries of this tournament,

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesc/cacups05.html#cc

there is no reason in principle why we our teams, whatever their level of play actually is, shouldn't, or shouldn't have an automatic entry . I expect that there has been a quick look at the possibility of applying by the clubs such as the Impact, but that the clubs management have determined that it is not financially viable. The question then is raised as to whether the CSA should be funding the campaign, instead of funding Futsal qualifying in Panama and Beach Soccer qualifying (in two weeks) campaigns like they are now. The argument that it is out of season doesn't wash, it is surely out of season for Kansas City and DC United as well. Who nos the answer?

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

The argument that it is out of season doesn't wash, it is surely out of season for Kansas City and DC United as well.

I think it washes. Our USL teams are structured just to survive the USL season. Can they afford to pay players starting in February and possibly extending to November? MLS is a step above, and, even then, its clubs are not properly prepared for this tournament.

No one wants Canada to fit into the global club soccer pyramid more than me, but there are more important things to get done. Like a true national championship. Let's start there.

• 3 weeks later...

Update

D.C. United (USA) 2-1 Harbour View (JAM) (Fox Soccer Channel article states 3,825 for attendance)

Kansas City (USA) 0-0 Saprissa (CRC)

Olimpia (HON) 1-1 Pumas (MEX)

Monterrey (MEX) 2-0 Municipal (GUA) Half time.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

To answer DJT's question. MLS contracts are year-round, whereas USL contracts are (for the Canadian teams, at least) for the length of the season.

I had a question? <looking back through the thread> Oh, okay, that was three weeks ago. :D

It wasn't really a question, though, it was rhetorical. But you hit on what I was getting at. USL contracts are only for the length of the season. Hence, for our clubs to participate in this tournament, those contracts would have to be extended, certainly to start earlier in the season and possibly to last longer beyond the end of the season. This means salaries go up, not to mention other costs of running the team. Our USL clubs are just not set up to handle this. Heck, we know that the Lynx can't even handle playoffs (I'm not taking a poke at their lack of on-field success ;), I mean financially).

quote:Originally posted by Montry

Update

D.C. United (USA) 2-1 Harbour View (JAM) (Fox Soccer Channel article states 3,825 for attendance)

Kansas City (USA) 0-0 Saprissa (CRC)

Olimpia (HON) 1-1 Pumas (MEX)

Monterrey (MEX) 2-0 Municipal (GUA) Half time.

Harbour View FC looked pretty good considering the weather conditions (one of the coldest nights of the year in Maryland). I wouldn't expect any MLS teams to make the semi-finals. Saprissa usually win by 3-4 goals at home against MLS clubs.

quote:Originally posted by zwerg

Pumas UNAM will represent CONCACAF in the World Club Championship and Tigres UANL will win Copa Libertadores and represent CONMEBOL. Go Mexico!

I somehow doubt that FIFA would allow this to happen (a Mexican team representing COMMEBOL). I was under the assumption that if a Mexican team wom the Libertadores that the finalist would then represent COMMEBOL in the WCC.

That's right. This is what gets me extremely upset. Where the hell is the Canadian participation??? Here we are talking about Toronto MLS, and do you really think that a Canadian MLS team will ever participate in this tournament??? I don't think so!!! Going tell this to Kevan Pipe. Do you think he gives a s**t???

Lastes results:

Pumas(Mex) 3-2 Olimpia (Hon) (1-1)

Harbour View FC 2-4 Dc United (JAM) (2-1)

Municipal (Gua) 1-2 Monterrey (Mex) (1-2)

Saprissa (CRC) 2-1 KC Wizards (USA)(0-0)

Semifinals:

Pumas - Dc United.

Saprissa - Monterrey.

Any Predictions?

Semifinals:

Pumas - Dc United.

Saprissa - Monterrey.

Any Predictions?

Saprissa better finish better if they want to have any chance of advancing to the final. They missed enough sitters against KC to last the old Diego Forlan half a season.

quote:

Do you really want to see an USL side get destroyed 7-0? MLS teams struggle in this competition because it starts during their preseason. They have to face sides in mid-season form. How would a club that's a rung below and has a longer off season compete?

• 4 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

sheesh! 6-1!

on a slightly different topic. can you ever see canadian mls teams (assuming vancouver and montreal also get one one day), american mls teams, and mexican teams get together to form one league?

I hope not, although that is Garbers long-long-long-term plan. The Mexicans have their own style and traditions and the American clubs have to develop their own. And I doubt the MFL will go for it either.

Also, why do you separate the Canadian MLS club, and the American MLS club? If Canada does get a team/s isn't it the same league?

Final:

Pumas (MEX) - Saprissa (CRC).

It's over two legs, May 4 and 11. There have been torrents available for this tournament, but I haven't downloaded any yet. Might be interesting to check out the final.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

it was harsh conditions in mexico. The USA man NT has not won in mexico in the longest time. SO I did not excpent DC united to win there either but 6-1 WOW

The USMNT has never won in Mexico. I figured this would happen. When the US played Mexico last month they had a month to train at a high altitude, but they still lost. DC United had zero preparation. This result shows how much work MLS has to do in order to catch up to the level of the MFL. It should also high light the season why A-league sides should not take part in this competition.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

sheesh! 6-1!

on a slightly different topic. can you ever see canadian mls teams (assuming vancouver and montreal also get one one day), american mls teams, and mexican teams get together to form one league?

No. What would be in it for Mexico?

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

It should also high light the season why A-league sides should not take part in this competition.

But that's the best we have. So you're essentially saying we should not take part because we're not good enough.

Archived