New Stalteri Transfer Rumour

Grizzly

The latest speculation and rumours are Schalke (half of whose players are former WB players) and Charlton Athletic. Another speculation is that Werder is trying to get rid of the disappointing Davala (Stalteri's current competition at right back) whose contract does not expire in the summer and if they can drop his salary will then make an offer to Stalteri.

Very interesting interview with Stalteri about his contract situation. I did a translation after each question and answer. At this point it doesn't look likely that Paul will be with Bremen next year.

"Werders Verhalten ist nicht fair"

Werder's Conduct has not been Fair

Paul Stalteri hat in Sachen Vertragsverlängerung einen anderen Umgang erwartet

PS expected that his contract extension would be handled in a different manner

Von Björn Knips

BREMEN · Muss er gehen oder darf er bleiben? Paul Stalteris Zukunft bei Werder Bremen ist weiterhin ungewiss. Im Sommer läuft der Vertrag des kanadischen Nationalspielers aus. Und der 27-Jährige ist enttäuscht, dass der Verein mit ihm bislang nicht in Kontakt getreten ist. Nach seiner Rückkehr vom Länderspiel in Portugal (1:4) sprach er im Interview über seinen Gefühlszustand, seine Pläne, aber auch Werders Chancen im Titelkampf.

?Wie war's in Portugal?

!"Nicht so schlecht, wie das 1:4 vermuten lässt. Wir hatten ein bisschen Pech, lagen schnell mit 0:2 hinten. Danach lief es besser, wir haben ganz gut mitgespielt. Am Ende war das Ergebnis leider etwas zu hoch."

How was Portugal?

Not so bad as the 4:1 sounds. We had a bit of bad luck to be quickly down 2:0. Afterwards things went better and we played quite well. In the end the score was a bit too high.

?Auf welcher Position haben Sie gespielt?

!"Im rechten Mittelfeld."

Where did you play?

Right middlefield.

?Also etwas offensiver als bei Werder. Schon kurios: Denn in Bremen wird Ihnen vorgehalten, dass sie als rechtes Glied der Viererkette nicht offensiv genug sind.

!"Das verstehe ich nicht. Auf dieser Position ist es nun mal meine erste Aufgabe, hinten dicht zu machen. Wenn sich darüber hinaus die Möglichkeit ergibt, etwas nach vorne zu machen, dann mache ich das. So habe ich das auch letzte Saison gemacht, und da sind wir Meister geworden. So schlecht kann ich also nicht sein."

In a more offensive position than with Werder. A bit curious when in Bremen you are criticized for not being offensive enough from the right side of the 4 back defence.

I don't understand this (criticism). In this position my first priority is to secure things at the back. If the chance presents itself to do something offensively then I do this just like I did all last season when we won the title. I can't be that bad (offensively) then.

?Der Verein sieht das offenbar anders und hat zur kommenden Saison für Ihre Position Patrick Owomoyela verpflichtet.

!"Das habe ich zur Kenntnis genommen."

The club openly sees this differently and has signed Patrick Owomoyela for your position for next season?

I have taken this into consideration.

?Und was denken Sie darüber?

!"Das ist nichts Neues für mich, ich habe in den vergangenen Jahren immer Konkurrenz bekommen - und am Ende habe ich gespielt."

And what do you think about this?

This is nothing new for me, I have always had competition in the past but in the end I was the one who played.

?Nun ist aber nicht mal klar, ob Werder Sie überhaupt behalten will.

!"Ich weiß nicht, was der Verein mit mir vorhat. Fakt ist, dass mein Vertrag am 30. Juni ausläuft, und der Verein noch nicht auf mich zugekommen ist. Mehr möchte ich dazu nicht sagen."

Now, however, it is not even clear whether Werder will retain you at all.

I don't know what plans the club has for me. The fact is however that my contract expires on the 30th of June and the club has not even spoken to me yet. I don't want to say anything more about this.

?Aber es ärgert Sie schon.

!"Nicht wirklich, aber das Verhalten des Vereins mir gegenüber in den letzten Monaten war nicht fair. Ich habe nach acht Jahren bei Werder einen anderen Umgang erwartet. Aber Werder ist der Arbeitgeber, und der kann so handeln, wie er will."

But it must irritate you.

Not really but the conduct of the club towards me in the last months has not been fair. After 8 years with Werder I expected a different mode of conduct but Werder is the employer and it can manage itself however it wants to.

?Liegt es vielleicht daran, dass Sie als Spieler, der über die Amateure bei Werder groß geworden ist, weniger wert sind, als andere Spieler?

!"Das kann eigentlich nicht sein. Die Verträge von Tim Borowski und Christian Schulz wurden längst verlängert - und die kommen auch von den Werder-Amateuren."

Could the reason possibly be that since you developed through Werder's development system you are not considered as valuable as other players?

This can not be the reason. The contracts of TB and CS were extended long ago and they also came through Werder's system.

?Haben Sie eine andere Erklärung, warum Werder noch nicht mit Ihnen gesprochen hat?

!"Natürlich mache ich mir meine Gedanken. Aber darüber will ich öffentlich nicht reden. Nur soviel: Ich bin seit Jahren Stammspieler, habe mit Werder großen Erfolg gehabt. Da muss ich jetzt nicht laut sagen, wie gut ich bin."

Do you have another explanation about why Werder hasn't spoken with you yet?

Naturally I have my own opinions but do not want to talk about them publicly. Only this much: I have been a starter for many years and have had great success with Werder. Therefore I do not have to loudly proclaim how good I am.

?Was wäre, wenn Werder Ihnen in den nächsten Tagen ein Angebot machen würde?

!"Dann würde ich darüber nachdenken."

What would you do if Werder made you an offer in the next few days?

Than I would think about the offer.

?Würden Sie das Angebot annehmen?

!"Das käme auf das Angebot an."

Would you take the offer?

That would depend on what the offer was.

?Und wenn es ein gutes Angebot wäre.

!"Auch dann würde ich nachdenken."

And when it was a good offer?

Even then I would have to think hard about it.

?Warum? Wollen Sie etwa nicht bei Werder bleiben?

!"Doch, aber es gibt einige Dinge, über die ich nachdenken muss."

Why? Don't you want to stay with Werder?

Yes but there are other things that I would have to think about.

?Und die wären?

!"Ich bleibe nicht in Bremen, um hier nur noch auf der Bank zu sitzen. Und ich habe eben noch im Kopf, wie sich der Verein in den vergangenen Wochen verhalten hat."

And they are?

I will not stay in Bremen to sit on the bench. And I still have in my mind how the club has conducted itself towards me in the past weeks.

?Und finanziell lukrativ muss das Angebot sicher auch sein.

!"Das gehört dazu. Aber ich kann mich bei Werder nicht beschweren. Hier wird sehr nach Leistung bezahlt. In der letzten Zeit hatten wir viel Erfolg, deshalb bin ich da nicht unzufrieden."

Surely the offer must also be financially lucrative.

Naturally. However, in this sense I can not complain about Werder. Here the pay is tied to performance. In recent times we have had a lot of success and thus in this area I am not unsatisfied.

?Wie wichtig ist für Sie als 27-Jährigen der nächste Vertragsabschluss?

!"Sehr wichtig. So schlecht ist die Situation für mich nicht: Ich bin Stammspieler beim Deutschen Meister, mein Vertrag läuft aus und ich bin ablösefrei."

How important is the next contract for you as a 27 year old?

Very important. However, my situation is not bad: I am a starter with the German champion, my contract is expiring and I am a free transfer.

?Damit auch interessant für andere Vereine.

!"Dazu möchte ich nichts sagen."

Thus also interesting for other clubs.

I don't want to say anything about that.

?Was machen Sie im Moment mit Angeboten von anderen Clubs?

!"Die vernünftigen schaue ich mir an."

What are you doing at the moment with offers from other clubs?

I am examining those offers that are serious and sensible.

?Und lassen Ihren Berater dann die Verhandlungen führen.

!"Ich habe aktuell keinen Berater. Ich habe aber Personen, die mich in solchen Dingen unterstützen."

And letting your agent handle the negotiations?

I don't have an agent currently. However, I have people who advise me about such things.

?Sollte es bei Werder nicht weitergehen, wo sehen sie Ihre Zukunft? Ihnen werden immer wieder Kontakte nach England nachgesagt.

!"In der Bundesliga gibt es nicht viele Vereine auf dem Niveau von Werder. Aber warten wir es ab, noch bin ich bei Werder - mindestens bis zum 30. Juni."

If things go no further with Werder where do you see your future? It is always rumoured that you have contacts in England.

In the Bundesliga there are not many clubs at Werder's level. But I will wait and see whether I am still with Werder, at least until the 30th of June.

?Bei der ungewissen Zukunft: Wie schwer fällt es Ihnen, sich auf Fußball zu konzentrieren?

!"Gar nicht. Wenn ich auf dem Platz stehe, spielen solche Dinge keine Rolle mehr."

With your uncertain future, how hard is it for you to concentrate on football?

Not hard at all. When I am on the field such things no longer play a role.

?Was haben Sie sich für den Rest der Saison vorgenommen?

!"Wir müssen aufpassen, dass wir auf jeden Fall in den UEFA-Cup kommen. Das Ziel sollte aber die Qualifikation für die Champions League sein."

What is your goal for the rest of the season?

We must ensure that we at least qualify for the UEFA Cup. The goal, however, should be to qualify for the Champions League.

?Was ist mit der Meisterschaft?

!"Da sind wir auf Fehler von Bayern und Schalke angewiesen."

What is the title situation?

There we are dependent on Bayern and Schalke making errors.

?Wenn die Bayern sechs Punkte hinter dem Spitzenreiter lägen, dann würden sie noch fest an den Titel glauben.

!"Stimmt. O.k., es sind noch 24 Punkte zu vergeben, vielleicht geht da ja doch noch was für uns. Dafür brauchen wir aber viele Siege."

If Bayern was 6 points behind the first place club they would still believe strongly that they would be champions.

That is true. O.k. 24 points are still available and maybe it will still work out for us. However, we will need a lot of victories to achieve this.

?Den ersten am Samstag gegen Stuttgart.

!"Das ist ein Sechs-Punkte-Spiel, wir müssen gewinnen. Und wenn die Bayern und Schalke vielleicht patzen, dann sieht die Sache schon wieder ganz anders aus."

The first on Saturday against Stuttgart?

This is a 6 point game that we must win. And if Bayern and Schalke stumble then the situation will look completely different.

Quelle: Kreiszeitung.de

Bremen has basically said, "Get on yer bike, mate" and Paul knows it and is taking the high road by not commenting too much. One might think that it would be useful for Paul to retain the services of an agent at this point so that he would be given maximum exposure to the widest spectrum of clubs.

At Bremen, I wonder who would be responsible for deciding who gets bought, sold, or offered contracts? As Paul states in the article, players are continually brought in as competition but the manager always picks Paul. I wonder if there is "chairman" sort of guy who doesn't fancy Paul? I guess a work-horse Canadian is not as sexy as fancy-dan import from Europe/Africa.

Great interview.

Ol' Diesel playing the cards pretty close to the chest there. Guess he can. No agent and no panic to sign. There have got to be offers he's pretty happy with waiting in the wings.

Sure sounds like he's done playing for Weder.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

In a more offensive position than with Werder. A bit curious when in Bremen you are criticized for not being offensive enough from the right side of the 4 back defence.

I don't understand this (criticism). In this position my first priority is to secure things at the back. If the chance presents itself to do something offensively then I do this just like I did all last season when we won the title. I can't be that bad (offensively) then.

I don't quite understand this criticism myself. Werder have scored more goals than any other club, have they not? Perhaps concentrating a little bit more on defence might be a good thing. But what do I know?

I don't think there is someone that doesn't like Stalteri in the Werder management. I think that their line of thinking is that Stalteri is good enough to win the title or be a strong Bundesliga team but not good enough to go far in the Champion's League. Stalteri is underrated by being a hard working, physical player not a technically gifted one. Strange that this attitude is coming from a German club as most of this country's success both at the international and club level has been in having hard working players as the core of their team with a few technically more gifted players. It is also ignoring that Stalteri was one of their strongest players in the Champion's League discounting the one blowout against Lyon in which Stalteri was no worse than the other 10 players and was at least one of the few who didn't give up. I think this shows Bremen's inexperience with international play and what is required to win. Stalteri will always be useful at this level whether a starter or not because he can play so many positions, is very consistent in his performance level and there are always injured and out of form players. Bremen could probably re-sign him at a reasonable salary so it is hard to understand why they have not done so. Admittedly Bremen is not a wealthy club and probably wants to get rid of right back Davala whose contract does not run out this year to clear some salary room. However, if they are waiting to get rid of Davala before re-signing Stalteri one would think they would have at least spoken with him. Regardless of the club's thinking they have not acted very honourably towards him. A player who is with the club that long should at least be given some indication of the club's plans and the public criticism of him after the Lyon game was totally uncalled for. The intent behind this was not to place the blame for the loss where it was deserved but to quell criticism of the club in the media and among the fans for not re-signing Stalteri. For this reason alone I find it hard to imagine the club doing an about face and making an offer to him and Stalteri then signing it after such poor treatment.

There is some merit in the criticism of Stalteri's offensive abilities in that his passes and crosses sometimes lack precision although to be fair he does make some very good crosses at times. On the other hand he is very solid defensively which is his main job and he is certainly not the weakest or even 2nd weakest player in Bremen's starting back four.

My personal feeling is that he will be playing at a mid-table club in the Premiership next year. This league will suit his fast and physical style and aid his development (as well as paying better) so it may actually be a positive thing in the end. I also predict Werder will miss him next year. Most of the German WB fans want him re-signed but don't think that he will be.

My personal dream is for Stalteri to sign with Arsenal. Although he is not good enough to start regularly in any one position relative to Arsenal's first team, he is better than most of their back-ups, particularly the back line. He would likely start 25+ games as the perfect all rounder and his famous temper could result in the on field discipline problems that seem so desireable to Wenger :).

This is not a serious post, of course, although I think his relative standing would be as described. Its just that as an Arsenal Fan, I would love to see a Canadian in the lineup!

Werder is also on the verge of signing Danish defender Leon Andreasen from AGF. Plays central back so not competition for Stalteri but seems like they are reworking their backline. He and Patrick Owomoyela are both considered great talents but are also young, inexperienced players so Werder may be taking quite a risk for next year.

I have to agree with Grizzly on this one. Sounds like Werder want to get "Larry" on the cheap. Wouldn put it past the German philosy of a penny saved is a penny earned. Paul has given this club all that he has, and has nothing to be ashamed of both offensivly, and defensivly. I would go as far as saying that he was an integral part of their Bundasliga Championship run. Paul should stand firm, and he no undoubtly will recieve the contract he deserves. Time will only tell if it will be Werder or not.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

My personal dream is for Stalteri to sign with Arsenal. Although he is not good enough to start regularly in any one position relative to Arsenal's first team, he is better than most of their back-ups, particularly the back line. He would likely start 25+ games as the perfect all rounder and his famous temper could result in the on field discipline problems that seem so desireable to Wenger :).

This is not a serious post, of course, although I think his relative standing would be as described. Its just that as an Arsenal Fan, I would love to see a Canadian in the lineup!

Then I'm going to wish just as hard that he comes to Spurs.:D

Seriously, they could use a much better right back than either Noe Pamarot or Stephen Kelly and IMHO he is much more solid. Heck his versitility makes him useful on the left side when Erik Edman has one of his moments.

Stalteri has finally received a contract offer from Bremen. Manager Klaus Allofs, "We never had the intention to let him go. We hope that he will decide to take our offer." Stalteri's comment on the offer, "I will have to consider whether I want to undertake a new challenge in the sport."

Während dessen hat Werder seinem kanadischen Nationalspieler Paul Stalteri ein Angebot auf eine Vertragsverlängerung gemacht. Der Kontrakt des 27-Jährigen endet zum 30. Juni und er ist ablösefrei. "Wir hatten nie die Absicht, ihn gehen zu lassen", erklärte Sportdirektor Klaus Allofs: "Wir hoffen, er kann sich dazu durchringen unser Angebot anzunehmen."

Stalteri, der bei Werder in der Vierer-Kette sowohl auf rechts wie auf links eingesetzt werden kann, spielt seit 1997 beim deutschen Meister. Für die Position auf der rechten Seite haben die Bremer zum neuen Jahr bereits Nationalspieler Patrick Owomoyela von Arminia Bielefeld verpflichtet. "Ich muss mir überlegen, ob ich noch eine neue sportliche Herausforderung annehme", erklärte Stalteri.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Andrew W;

Happy St. Totteringham's Day (a few days ago).

You know-the day when Tottenham can no longer finish ahead of Arsenal in the league no matter how many more points they get? A beautiful day, it is...

That day has been a yearly occurance for some time and I don't see it changing any time soon. :(

You know Spurs, why worry about the future when there's the past to remember. ;)

Another article about the offer. I don't have time to translate but the main things are that Allofs has met with Stalteri again for contract talks. Stalteri does not want to comment on whether he is leaning towards staying or leaving but states that the talks have produced "positive signals" from the club.

"Positive Signale": Allofs führt neue Gespräche mit Stalteri

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Es kommt Bewegung in das Personal-Puzzle bei Werder Bremen. "Die Tendenz geht dahin, dass ich den Klub verlasse", bestätigte Ludovic Magnin gegenüber dem kicker seine Abwanderungsgedanken. Der VfB Stuttgart, so der Schweizer, sei sein "absoluter Favorit". Zudem gebe es noch zwei Anfragen aus der Bundesliga, betonte Magnins Berater Wolfgang Vöge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mit Gelassenheit hat Sportdirektor Klaus Allofs diese jüngste Entwicklung registriert, die den Planungen Werders zu entsprechen scheint. Seit Dezember hat Allofs mit Vöge Vorgespräche geführt, jedoch kein konkretes Angebot vorgelegt, was den Schluss nahe legt: Werder wollte Magnin nicht behalten.

Zum Thema

Vereinsinfo

SV Werder Bremen

Kader

SV Werder Bremen

Termine

SV Werder Bremen

Spielersteckbrief

Ludovic Magnin

Paul Stalteri

Anders gestaltet sich die Sachlage beim zweiten Außenmann, dessen Vertrag ausläuft. Im Gegensatz zu Magnin wurden die Gespräche mit Paul Stalteri am Dienstag von Allofs intensiviert, was unterstreicht, dass ein Bremer Interesse an der weiteren Zusammenarbeit mit dem Kanadier besteht. Ein neues Angebot für den Nationalspieler, der sich zuletzt "nicht fair behandelt von Werder" fühlte? Allofs sagt: "Das hängt von den Gesprächen ab." Über Inhalte und Tendenzen wollte auch Stalteri selbst nichts verkünden, sprach lediglich von "positiven Signalen".

Mit dem Bielefelder Patrick Owomoyela ist ihm auf der rechten Seite ein Hochkaräter vor die Nase gesetzt worden. Auf der Gegenseite sind für den Rechtsfuß die Einsatzmöglichkeiten beschränkt. Stalteri, zuletzt immer Stammspieler, kann nicht damit rechnen, für die Startelf gesetzt zu sein. Ob er sich damit anzufreunden vermag, bezweifeln sie in der sportlichen Leitung, wo durchaus die Vielseitigkeit des 27-jährigen Allrounders gewürdigt wird. So liebäugelte er zu Saisonbeginn, als er nicht immer spielte, mit einem Wechsel zu Crystal Palace.

Möglich, dass Allofs ihm nun ein reduziertes Angebot unterbreitet. Damit könnte sich Stalteri nicht zufrieden geben. Während somit seine Zukunftspläne weiter ungeklärt bleiben, stehen andere Personalien unmittelbar vor der Klärung. So wird Andreas Reinke einen neuen Kontrakt bis 2007 unterzeichnen. "Ich muss das Papier nur noch abgeben", so der Keeper. Lediglich Kleinigkeiten über das spätere Tätigkeitsfeld des 36-Jährigen bei Werder nach dessen Karriereende 2007 sind noch zu regeln.

Dagegen verlässt Torhüter Alexander Walke Werder Bremen zum Saisonende. Dies bestätigte Werder-Sportdirektor Klaus Allofs am Donnerstag. Der Bundesliga-Vierte hatte dem “U21“-Nationalspieler einen neuen Dreijahresvertrag mit der Maßgabe angeboten, sich für 24 Monate ausleihen zu lassen. Nun wird Walke sein Glück zur kommenden Spielzeit beim derzeitigen Bundesliga-Schlusslicht SC

Freiburg versuchen.

Hans-Günter Klemm

Archived