Blatterisims

argh1

The latest from blabbering Blatter.

First he's telling domestic leagues when to end their schedule, then he blasts EPL/FA to reduce the number of teams , and finally he wants television broadcasts of domestic leagues limited.

Now I know he wants to protect the stature of all FIFA big tourneys, World Cup , Confederations Cup , World Club Cup & probably Asian , African , Uefa ,Concacaf etc cups. Which is his job after all and we all enjoy these international tourneys. But with-out domestic leagues paying the salaries of the players and broadcast and gate revenues going to the leagues and clubs where does he think the players and clubs will come from for his events.

Or is he just acting like a shock jock to keep attention for the associatons?

Sky Sports article

• 2 weeks later...

Blatter ready to head FIFA until 2011

By Francois Thomazeau

PARIS, Jan 3 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter is ready to stand for a new term as the head of soccer's governing body until 2011 and will make suggestions to change the rules about offside at an International Board meeting next month.

"Let's first complete the 2006 World Cup. And then, if I'm still in good health, I will still feel like continuing my work at FIFA because I was seriously hampered in my first term," he told soccer magazine France Football in an interview to be published on Tuesday.

Blatter, 69, has repeatedly insisted he would only remain FIFA president for two four-year terms, but he made it clear he had changed his mind.

"The first half of my first term (1998-2002) doesn't count. If national associations tell me to go on, why shouldn't I stand once again?" he said.

Swiss-born Blatter added he still felt young enough to go ahead but that the decision would belong to the FIFA Congress.

"If I run for presidency and the Congress say they have seen enough of me, then I'll go," he said.

Asked if he would stay until 2011 if the Congress accepted the idea, he said: "Yes".

In the meantime, Blatter will plead for changes in the game's laws, including offside.

"You must make the offside rule simpler," he said. "How? In my mind by saying that only the player who receives the ball can be ruled offside.

"There should not be passive offsides anymore. If the player who gets the ball is not in an offside position, nobody is offside.

"Which means that a player without the ball cannot be ruled offside. Purists will scream, but it's a simpler rule."

ELECTRONIC DEVICES

Blatter said he was against the idea of video assistance for offsides but favoured electronic devices to decide whether the ball had crossed the goal line.

"One thing that is possible and for which we're looking for an acceptable solution is the control of the goal line to find out whether the ball was in or out," said Blatter, who linked the device to equipment used for line calls in tennis.

Blatter said FIFA would try a new system invented by Adidas using an electronic microchip in the ball.

The system will be tested during the English League Cup final in Cardiff on February 27, Blatter said.

Commenting on recent racist incidents in soccer arenas, Blatter exemplified Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry as an ambassador against racism.

At a high-profile news conference before FIFA's centennial World Player of the Year gala last month, Henry sent a clear message of support in the fight against racism in soccer when he wore a black-and-white bracelet.

He said he was wearing it as a symbol of his support for any moves that prevent fans' continued racist behaviour.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

zoom_nikita_bassov_almaty.jpg

quote:Originally posted by argh1

The latest from blabbering Blatter.

First he's telling domestic leagues when to end their schedule, then he blasts EPL/FA to reduce the number of teams , and finally he wants television broadcasts of domestic leagues limited.

But you have to admit that playing four EPL games in 9 days during the holiday season is a bit much.

I don't get the television thing though. Makes no sense whatsoever. Besides is attendance even on the decline? Don't think so.

Archived