National Team Florida Camp - January 13-22

Winnipeg Fury

This is great, and I am all for "moving on", but I can't help but dream of how things had unfolded had Yallop had more time to prepare our guys.

Anyways--bygones...

Right on about this camp. Time to play Libya again so that we can stuff the coffers with dubious oil-money and fund a rash of friendlies and camps over the next few years. Here's to messed-up geo-politics!! [^]

Beaver, you suggest Yallop would have had more success if he had more time to train his players. Would the key players have arrived earlier for the WCQ, or did their Club teams want them to stay in Europe?

I have heard Lenaruzzi, Colin Miller and Carl Valentine say that Osieck and Yallop did not have enough talent to win. Extra training will not turn Olivier Occean or Kevin Mckenna into skillful strikers. They are past the age where they can easily acquire physical related coordination, skills, moves and finesse.

Despite a poor showing in a very limited window of playing time during the WCQ I do believe OO has shown that his indeed a skilled striker. Watch this guy practice and you will see him do things that DD doesn't do, and he is larger, and much more powerful and direct kind of striker. His stats this year alone in Europe should quiet even the disbelievers.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Beaver, you suggest Yallop would have had more success if he had more time to train his players. Would the key players have arrived earlier for the WCQ, or did their Club teams want them to stay in Europe?

I have heard Lenaruzzi, Colin Miller and Carl Valentine say that Osieck and Yallop did not have enough talent to win. Extra training will not turn Olivier Occean or Kevin Mckenna into skillful strikers. They are past the age where they can easily acquire physical related coordination, skills, moves and finesse.

No, I agree, it isn't Yallop's job to develop the individual skills of his players, though he could play a small role I'm sure. No, by preparation I mean time to train together and play meaningful friendles, in part to get to know HOW to play together, but also to evaluate WHO plays well together, WHERE the weaknesses are, and WHAT game strategy works best for the talent available. Guatamala, as you probably know, had several friendlies prior to the first game they played against us in Burnaby. We did not have any. Yes, we played Belize twice and San Jose, but we needed several friendlies closer to WCQ. I'm not sure of the exact number of games the Guats played prior to starting WCQ, but I believe it was more than 4 and as high as 6. We needed the games together. We were only getting better and better as the tournament wore on. But as you know, that is not the best way to qualify for the world cup.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

No, I agree, it isn't Yallop's job to develop the individual skills of his players, though he could play a small role I'm sure. No, by preparation I mean time to train together and play meaningful friendles, in part to get to know HOW to play together, but also to evaluate WHO plays well together, WHERE the weaknesses are, and WHAT game strategy works best for the talent available. Guatamala, as you probably know, had several friendlies prior to the first game they played against us in Burnaby. We did not have any. Yes, we played Belize twice and San Jose, but we needed several friendlies closer to WCQ. I'm not sure of the exact number of games the Guats played prior to starting WCQ, but I believe it was more than 4 and as high as 6. We needed the games together. We were only getting better and better as the tournament wore on. But as you know, that is not the best way to qualify for the world cup.

Well summarized some key points about preparation. There is another factor that I believe it is important. That is the fact that teams like Guatemala and pretty well any other country, their players all play in the same pro league in their countries. Teams in these league they all play a "style" typical of their league or country. Hence when you select players for a national side from various of these teams, it is much easier for them to come together as their style is all too familiar to them. While in our case where we have our guys coming from different places and leagues with different home styles, it will take much longer to mesh together if at all that is possible. Again the lack of a canadian pro league is hurting us.

Now that The Beaver has clarified his point, can I ask that we stick to the topic of this thread? I know there isn't too much to talk about these days, but Winnipeg Fury has tried to steer things towards the future and we've had enough threads fall back to the same topic of what went wrong in WCQ or related issues. If you still want to talk about this stuff then there are plenty of other threads, but let's leave this one for actual news and discussion about what's next up for the CMNT. Thank you.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Now that The Beaver has clarified his point, can I ask that we stick to the topic of this thread? I know there isn't too much to talk about these days, but Winnipeg Fury has tried to steer things towards the future and we've had enough threads fall back to the same topic of what went wrong in WCQ or related issues. If you still want to talk about this stuff then there are plenty of other threads, but let's leave this one for actual news and discussion about what's next up for the CMNT. Thank you.

As a last point, let me restate the above. Let us turn a blind eye, sweep all the problems under the carpet and start anew.

I'm most curious to see which keepers are invited as I expect there will be an exhibition announced (like Barbados last year).

Do we invite Onstad as a polite gesture (and will he still be the #1 for Gold Cup) or concentrate on the future with Kenny, Lars and Sutton (and possibly others) ?

Personally I would concentrate on the future regardless whether Onstad is the starting goalie during Gold Cup. I would put the three amigos on level ground and let the three fight (and others) fight for the starting spot (now is the time).

I think it was the Voyageurs staple for road trips - the Fort Lauderdale Travelodge. We were able to find and visit the hotel the national team was staying at (well, it was more of a U23 B team but I digress) but keep in mind that Free Kick rented a car for the weekend and we drove out to both Lockhart Stadium and the National team hotel - it took us about 5 or so minutes to get to the stadium and about 15 to 20 minute drive away from the National team's hotel. We were walking distance to the beach mind you, but didn't end up going thanks to the high of plus 11 that weekend. I remember getting on the plane thinking I would look silly with my Canada scarf on at the game but by game time I was so glad I brought it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Thanks GL.

I assume you stayed at the Travelodge downtown and not the one by the beach?

I still don't know if I am going to go... just looking at my options. The training will be at the Sunrise Hilton, so it might be helpful if I found a place to stay close to the Hilton (save on the taxi fares).

Actually, we stayed at the Travelodge near the beach. Its looks more like a Motel than a hotel. The problem, as I recall, with staying in the area near where the team was staying is that it is quite barren out there. aside from green space, there was little to do or see in the immediate vicinity if you don't have transportation. for example, I do not even recall ever seeing any place within walking distance wherby you could go to get something to eat. Its quite far from the ocean but closer to the stadium.

Whereas there wasn't that same problem with the travelodge where we stayed

Archived