Question for Ligue 1 soccer nuts

argh1

Jean-Claude Darcheville seems like a such a big man for the striker position. I see he's been out with injuries for awhile and that he's played for Nottingham Forest but returned to France ,Lorient and Bordeaux since '02 other than being born in '75 ...that's all I know. Anyone able to fill me in on his career.

Yes, that's what I do, tape the weekend games and watch them Monday and Tuesday nights. Just finished watching Saturdays Bordeaux vs Lyon game.

Not to stero-type but has anyone else noticed that campared to EPL or La Liga ( the other two leagues I get to watch ) Ligue 1 is fast very high paced. Is this what is making French teams successful in Euro club competition. The sheer speed of the game they play?

Although I have noticed that the old stero-types of domestic Euro Leagues play has passed and most major leagues play a similar style of soccer over the last few years.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Not to stero-type but has anyone else noticed that campared to EPL or La Liga ( the other two leagues I get to watch ) Ligue 1 is fast very high paced. Is this what is making French teams successful in Euro club competition. The sheer speed of the game they play?

Although I have noticed that the old stero-types of domestic Euro Leagues play has passed and most major leagues play a similar style of soccer over the last few years.

Have to agree about the many stereotypes. I have noticed as well that they have disappeared, especially when it comes to the top teams in each leagues. I am not so sure about the smaler clubs though

As far as the "sheer speed of the game", that may be another myth. I have heard many state that they EPL is the fastest. But next time that you watch( on TV ) several games from different leagues, keep an eye on the vantage point that you are seeing the game from. Specifically the camera angles and how much closer to the action that the Cameras from british broadcasts are compared to the the other european feeds. I have noticed this with hockey as well, in that the closer to the action that the cameras are, the faster the game looks. The best Hockey example would have been the constrast from watching games televised in the old Boston Garden versus MSG in New York ( where the cameras are so far away that you practicaly need binoculars to watch the TV). As a result, the games in New York's MSG, look like they are played at a snails pace.

I too am very impressed from the games that I saw from the French first Div. But the talent is also surprisingly impressive especially if you look at the "name quality" on a club like Monaco. Yet they are behind clubs like Lille and Lyon who are much smaller.

PS; I was not aware until a couple of weeks ago, that Saviola had moved to Monaco from Barça. I missed that news during the transfer season.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I was not aware until a couple of weeks ago, that Saviola had moved to Monaco from Barça. I missed that news during the transfer season.

Saviola is a loan signing . Didier Deschamps seems to be becoming the master of loaners

Ok, here it is.

Jean Claude Darcheville was born in 1975 in Guyana. He started his career in the 1995-96 season with Rennes where he scored 1 goal in 3 games. He played in three games the following year, again scoring once. 97-98 was his first year where he was regularly used. He was on the field for 24 games and scored three times.

After that he played one year with Nottingham Forrest where he scored twice in 16 games. The 99-00 season saw him back to France with Lorient in the second division. That year he scored 14 goals in 35 games. The next year he scored 11 times in 35 games and Lorient got promoted to the first division.

The 2001-02 season was his best yet. On an individual level Darcheville scored 19 times in 32 games. His club was winner of the Coupe de France and finalist of the Coupe de la ligue. After that he went to Bordeaux. In his firts season ther he scored 11 goals in 32 games in France and 5 goals in 6 games in Europe. He slowed down a little after that. Last year he played only 18 games in France scoring 7 times and 5 games in Europe and scoring twice.

This year is his worst yet. He his 4th on the forward depth chart with Laslande, Chamakh and Bugnet in front of him. He played in three games only, starting only one.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Ok, here it is.

Jean Claude Darcheville was born in 1975 in Guyana. He started his career in the 1995-96 season with Rennes where he scored 1 goal in 3 games. He played in three games the following year, again scoring once. 97-98 was his first year where he was regularly used. He was on the field for 24 games and scored three times.

After that he played one year with Nottingham Forrest where he scored twice in 16 games. The 99-00 season saw him back to France with Lorient in the second division. That year he scored 14 goals in 35 games. The next year he scored 11 times in 35 games and Lorient got promoted to the first division.

The 2001-02 season was his best yet. On an individual level Darcheville scored 19 times in 32 games. His club was winner of the Coupe de France and finalist of the Coupe de la ligue. After that he went to Bordeaux. In his firts season ther he scored 11 goals in 32 games in France and 5 goals in 6 games in Europe. He slowed down a little after that. Last year he played only 18 games in France scoring 7 times and 5 games in Europe and scoring twice.

This year is his worst yet. He his 4th on the forward depth chart with Laslande, Chamakh and Bugnet in front of him. He played in three games only, starting only one.

Why thank-you guy or gal.......it was his physical stature that struck me even though he seemed to cover the field and showed good pace. He just looks like he'd make a good 3-down football middle linebacker.

Another thing that I enjoy about watching L1 on TV5 is the announcers. As opposed to the EPL announcers (a bit too dry) or the Primera Liga's amateur GolTV counterparts, the French announcers are great because they get excited, they are partisan (for both teams) at moments in the game and because they sometimes veer off on some weird tangent. They have conversations and their tone is rather hectic, making the broadcast much less dry and much more exciting.

Archived