Reda signed by Aalborg......

Winnipeg Fury

Big move for Reda as Aalborg are a major club:

TIL DANMARK:

Sogndal-spiller klar for Aalborg

Av Sturla Johannessen 13.12.04 16:03

Sogndals canadiske forsvarsspiller Marco Reda har skrevet under for den danske klubben Aalborg i SAS-ligaen.

27-åringen har skrevet under på en kontrakt som gjelder frem til 31. desember 2005 - og AaB har sikret seg opsjon på forlengelse.

Han kommer til klubben som Bosman-spiller.

- Vu har vært ute etter Marco Reda siden sommeren 2003, men da vurderte vi at Sogndals krav var for høyt. Derfor gleder det meg nå at vi kan hente Reda gratis, sier AaBs sportsdirektør Lynge Jacobsen ifølge Ritzau.

Canadieren var også ønsket av flere andre klubber, men valgte AaB etter å ha vært på besøk i klubben og sett på forholdene.

I don't know Danish, but it looks similar to Dutch in some ways, and reading between the lines with context, I can give a very rough translation.

Sogndal-player ready for Aalborg

Av Sturla Johannessen 13.12.04 16:03

Sogndal's Canadian defender Marco Reda has signed on with the Danish club Aalborg of the SAS-ligaen.

The 27-year old has signed a contract that will keep him with the club until December 31st, 2005 - after which AaB has the option to lengthen it.

He comes to the club as Bosman-(free transfer)

Next paragraph is something about how they had a look at him in the summer of '03, but couldn't make a deal with Sogndal, but now they got him for free, a quote from the sports director Jacobsen.

The Canadian attracted the interest of several other clubs, but AaB was the type of club he was looking for (or presented the most attractive offer, or something).

[Aside: I was talking to an Australian dude in Prague a while back and he said that Scandinavian languages were probably the easiest to learn for a native English speaker, and now I think I quite agree.]

Aalborg, who are also known as AaB are currently 7th in the Danish league:

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesd/den05.html

They were recently kicked out of the UEFA Cup by Auxerre of France, 3-1 by aggregate, in the round before the new group stage. AaB qualified as Cup Finalists.

The Danish League returns on the weekend of March 13, after being on break since Nov. 28. Reda's new team will face Brondby, the league leaders.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'm beginning to get a bit rusty with my Canadian soccer knowledge - has Yallop ever called in Reda to one of his camps to have a look at him?

I Think its because this board has gotten so dull g-l.. cause i feel like i am getting rusty too.

Does anyone at those games remember how well he played? How did Pizzolitto and Menezes play who were both later chosen over him for WCQ? Pizzolitto played 90 in both games while Menezes was replaced in the first by Reda at minute 70 and didn't play in the second in which Reda played 90.

To be honest the backline in those games were not tested much by the opposition.Both Millwall and Hearts were at the beginning of their seasons and were awful in attack.There was not much about Reda that stood out.Menezes knocked the ball into touch a few times.Pizzolito was average.I definitely feel that Reda deserves some more looks.Last summer was not a good indication of his true abilities.

Menezes picked up an injury along the way. It may have been in the first game, so that would explain his absence from the Millwall game. As for how the backline played in those matches, it was hard to tell because of the reasons Vancouver Fan explained. I didn't notice Reda too much with the one way traffic to Millwall's net.

Yallop had a look at Reda alongside Pizzolitto and Gervais but chose to call up the two Impact players when he needed new blood at the back during WCQ. Not a good sign for Reda, but at least it shows that our depth is improving. Hopefully he'll get lots of playing time with his new club in Denmark.

As I posted on another thread this is exactly what I would like to know, whether expense was a factor in player selection. Ossieck never seemed to have this problem. Sometimes he had a weak bench due to injuries and personal problems with certain players but he always seemed able to call as many players from Europe as he wanted. Were things different for Yallop? If not what was his reasoning behind the selections? As we know injuries forced these players to be used and Yallop's bench sure limited his sub possibilities as well as reducing the competitiveness of pre-game training sessions.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

As I posted on another thread this is exactly what I would like to know, whether expense was a factor in player selection. Ossieck never seemed to have this problem.

Now, I may be way off base with this, but the last time Osieck had to call players to Canada (gold cups aside) was pre-2000, right? Since then the women's team has commanded a bigger and bigger slice of the total CSA budget. Could this be part of the answer?

Just thinking out loud.

I thought that Gervais and Pizzolitto were selected over Reda, due to their really good form at the time (apparently Nevio was playing great back then), while Marco was struggling to find his form, having struggled with some injury problems.

Can anyone confirm or add to this...?

Archived