Sportsnet Still Sucks!!

elricko

so many of you almost sound like "Rogers" employees, if ads are accepted now, what do think Rogers will do to the next World Cup matches, they wrote me saying ads are to be expected , and WILL become a regular occurance. I still advocate a boycott of "WHITE SPOT", and that's for starters, and then move on to an alternative company!! I shall be in the UK over Xmas,will watch 2 Gillingham games live , at Priestfield Stadium,(need all the help and luck with those games!), and hopefully catch some EPL games at my cousin's , he has SKY 1 and 2, for which he pays. Here I pay a small fortune to SHAW, and still have to tolerate damned annoying ads. This is the thin edge of the wedge. When I lived in OZ, one of the 4 0r 5 basic channels showed the EPL with NO ads.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Why don't we install some webcams in a few test stadiums. That way anyone around the world can see anything playing on the pitch.

Already done (sort of). It's called BT.

Speaking of which, I don't know why elricko doesn't go here : http://football.hn.org:6969/ where he can choose b/w 8 commercial free EPL games per week instead of waking up at 7:00am and being force-fed whatever game Sportsnet decides to show.

what an absolute SCREW-UP in the first half of Chelsea v Norwich. ROGERS interrupt the match on FIVE occasions , at one point with 4 !!!! commercials. These bastards are forcing me to listen to the freakin game , instead of watching it. ROGERS and SPORTSNET suck!!!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Already done (sort of). It's called BT.

Speaking of which, I don't know why elricko doesn't go here : http://football.hn.org:6969/ where he can choose b/w 8 commercial free EPL games per week instead of waking up at 7:00am and being force-fed whatever game Sportsnet decides to show.

I do not understand this site, how do you access the matches? I would appreciate some help. Thanx

quote:Originally posted by elricko

I do not understand this site, how do you access the matches? I would appreciate some help. Thanx

To download the matches from that site, you will need a program called Bit Torrent. Bit Torrent is a p2p software application, but is much better than the ones that came before it (ie. Kazaa, Napster, etc.) If you want to learn more about Bit Torrent, check out this link:

http://dessent.net/btfaq/#what

You will also need a high-speed internet connection because the files you will be trying to download will be large, and to try to download them with a dial-up connection would be suicide.

Finally, you will need to install the Bit Torrent software to your computer:

http://bittorrent.com/download.html

Once you've installed Bit Torrent, you can start searching the site that Amacpher listed, and begin downloading entire soccer games.

Good luck!

Thanks to you MASSIVE ATTACK for your help re."Bit Torrent", and I'm supposed to understand all that description, gawd, I'm barely alphabet literate, but thank you, I shall pursue it. I am surprised that more people are not expressing their annoyance at ROGERS SPORTSNET-the channel that SUCKS!!!I believe that LOUD MOUTH SOUP and I, and others hopefully, can help by writing to many various sources. The sports editor of the Sunday Telgraph in the UK wrote me , expressed his sympathy, and said it was "sad how the sport of football is treated in Canada". I don't think it is whining, or wanting things to be like the "old country", there's many things back there that need improving, but football is my passion, and ROGERS SPORTSNET-the channel that SUCKS ,is spoiling my viewing enjoyment.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Wow. Sportsnet appear to have dropped the last five minutes of the Betis match for what? Commercials.

Though many of you seem to accept them.

It's not so much that we accept them as its better to show commercial-ridden soccer than, say, TSN2's favorite program "signed-off". Or world's strongest man, poker, etc.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm fairly sure this had something to do with the game starting 45 minutes late. Sportsnet probably only bought rights from GolTV from 1:00 to 3:30 ET (or something). But then the game ended at 3:40

"If you knew how difficult it is to start up a network from scratch and not simultaneously have 32 million Canadians pished off at you, you'd change your tune. Canadian soccer fans are the hardest to please in the world. Oh, and those CRTC idiots want you to have 'X' amount of public service announcements per hour. Like commercials about donating blood is something people want to see during the supper hour." --- Hugh Hefner

Got this email from the Premier League this morning. Looks like they know about it and are none too happy themselves...

=====

Dear ********,

Thank you for your email which I have discuss with our Commercial Department. I can confirm that we are aware of the problem with the broadcasting of Premier League football in Canada. Please be assured we are taking steps to rectify this.

I will be in touch again once I have further information.

Kind regards

JOANNE REVELL

Customer Strategy Executive

Deals with the problem some of us have with commercials during broadcasts. First response to my message to the Premier League, Sky, the BBC, all Premier League teams, La Liga, all La Liga teams and others...

I composed a nice letter addressing my problem with it, instead of screaming or whining. I know you mean well, elricko, but you need to address it in a way they'll answer you. Like they did with me.

Sportsnet's conpetition, CTV, Global and CBC don't show any soccer, not even now that the NHL is locked out.

The all sports radio stations in Canada are worse, because they are supposed to broadcast sports all day long and all we get is boring US college football, basketball games, paint drying golf, and junior hockey ad nauseum. If a Canadian junior age hockey player farts loudly, then the media cover it, but there is no coverage of our national youth soccer teams recent games.

The CSA doesn't even have the decency to put reports on its website for many games, such as the recent U20 teams games. Sharpe, KP and the CSA media folks are all to blame.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

The CSA doesn't even have the decency to put reports on its website for many games, such as the recent U20 teams games. Sharpe, KP and the CSA media folks are all to blame.

valid points, analyst. Why don't you contact/email Morgan Quarry

who is the communications/media liason for the CSA? Provide

suggestions as well, rather than just blame ...

all the best to you in 2005.

Okay, I'll contact Morgan Quarry to ask them to do an even better job with the CSAwebsite.

Any suggestions on how we get the TV networks or the all sports radio stations to do more about soccer.

Also the one soccer program that is broadcast on the radio is hosted by somone with a very thick English accent which makes it almost impossible for anyone not born in the British Isles to understand (which is 99% of current Canadians). Can't they find a normal speaking person to host?

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Okay, I'll contact Morgan Quarry to ask them to do an even better job with the CSAwebsite.

Any suggestions on how we get the TV networks or the all sports radio stations to do more about soccer.

Soccer on the radio would never work in Canada. Lets assume for a minute that there were more than 5 people nation-wide who would be interested in listening. Then you would still have people complaining about what kind of soccer is talked about on the radio program (ie. Team Canada or MLS or EPL or Serie A, J-league, La Liga, etc.). It's not like the other sports which have only one league. That's why even if Canada was a soccer-mad nation, soccer on the radio wouldn't work at all.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Deals with the problem some of us have with commercials during broadcasts. First response to my message to the Premier League, Sky, the BBC, all Premier League teams, La Liga, all La Liga teams and others...

I composed a nice letter addressing my problem with it, instead of screaming or whining. I know you mean well, elricko, but you need to address it in a way they'll answer you. Like they did with me.

I have just returned from England today, saw Gillingham win and draw, and watched some great commercial -free soccer matches on TV. Hey Loudmouthsoup, my letters of complaint are very, very tame compared to my rants on here, I can compose an excellent outpouring of toxic venom---but in a nice ,politically correct way. I think that is fantastic news, I have written to EVERY EPL club over this season

Archived