If JDV and ITFC players.........

shaku_bert

can pay to fly from Ipswich to Plymouth, how come radz couldn't stump up the extra couple hundred to fly 1st class on the way to Canada?

http://ipswichtown.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=911&p=2&stid=8367457

(if it is bad manners to copy the tect of a linked article, mods please delete what follows)

Players to Pay for Flight

By Phil

Date: 9/12/2004

Town central defender Jason De Vos says the players are prepared to pay to fly to Plymouth for the Blues' January 3rd fixture at Home Park. De Vos says the squad are concerned that a lengthy coach journey could affect their performance.

Search DVDsCDsBooks

for

The Canadian said: "It is a long, long, way and I would certainly chip in. Skipper Jim Magilton has said we have a fantastic opportunity to get in the Premier League and he is right. I don't think we should let any little thing stand in our way.

"We should be as professional as we can about everything and, if finances at the club are that tight, then I'm sure all the players would be more than happy to pay for the flight because, at the end of it, we are only helping ourselves.

"It takes a lot out of you to spend that much time on a coach."

De Vos says the recent defeat at Sunderland, after a six-hour coach trip, led to the suggestion of flying to Plymouth rather than making an even longer journey by road: "As we sat on the bus going home we said, in hindsight, we should have flown, and paid for the tickets off our own backs.

"It would have helped our own preparation that bit more. I'm not saying we would have won, but you never know."

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

(if it is bad manners to copy the tect of a linked article, mods please delete what follows)

Good catch, shaku_bert!

Aarrrrrrrrr....No, it ain' bad manners to copy text here, matey. This isn't some prissyfangled forum like BigSoccer or GoBigRed. We Voyaguers are Pirates of the 'Net. Copying text is a good thing (not cutting the advertisement in the middle may raise a few rumtwisted eyebrows though). :D Just remember.....

"Cause it's a "HEAVE HO HI HO" roarin' down the net,

Stealin' pix and copyin' text and rippin' other's sweat.

It's a "HO HEY HI HEY" webmasters bar your doors,

When you see the Voyageurs bloody leaf upon yer domain's shores!"

With regards to radz, keep in mind that he made the flight complaint after</u> he flew first class to our game against Honduras. He also makes specific mention of guys that are flying 24 hours to get here, so he obviously wasn't talking about himself. Jazic, who probably had the furthest to go, doesn't make the same kind of scratch as radz does so for him to upgrade his own seats out of his own wallet 3 or 4 times in a couple months is a pretty big commitment for him to make.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

how long could the flight possibly be considering you can BUS from london to liverpool in 8 hours! (that's on a greyhound bus with stops!)

gimme a break.

But who wants to spend 8 hours on a bus?

I myself hate buses. A few too many bus trips from Huron County in Ontario (just north of London) to places like Winnipeg; Sudbury; Montreal; Madison, Wisconsin; Philadelphia; Wilmington, Delaware; and Missouri for tournaments in various sports. Long distance travelling is the worst part of youth sports.

longest road trip i did or a game was last year.....12-hours with my high schol team on a friday to make it for a game on the saturday.....then right after the game we headed back......got home at around 3:30 am

that wasnt so fun....especiall since european busses seem a but narrower than north american ones, whic makes for a more uncomfortable ride.

Premiership and beyond by Royle appointment

Ipswich's manager believes he can return to the big-time - and maybe even stay there, writes Richard Polkey.

Saturday December 11, 2004

The Guardian

There are, Joe Royle acknowledges, a number of possible conclusions that can be drawn from the fact Ipswich Town currently occupy one of the two automatic promotion places in The Championship. Since taking over at Portman Road just over two years ago, the former Oldham, Everton and Manchester City manager has overseen the departue of 35 senior players. Of those 25 have been transferred, bringing in £4.4m in fees, and ten released. Throughout that time he has made just seven signings, all of them free, and two of those he subsequently let go.

Not surprisingly then, the traditional ice-breaker at any manager's weekly pre-match press conference - is everybody fit? - tends to be a little more meaningful at Ipswich. And as it happens, going into today's game at Queens Park Rangers everybody is, with the exception of Royle himself, due to have fluid drained from a knee kicked by more centre-halves than he cares to remember.

Even that unappealing prospect fails to dampen his good humour however, as Town's prospects at Loftus Road having been patiently analysed for various local television and radio outlets, he limps over for a mug of tea and a more considered assessment. Whether he still feels as positive after a Christmas period which sees Ipswich start a spell of five matches in 12 days with the visit of table-topping Wigan on December 21, remains to be seen.

"It's a critical time for us, that's for sure," he agrees. "Every manager will be saying that of course, but when you're in our position it's not just about the number of points you pick up, it's about looking around you at training and seeing who is still fit at the end of it.

"We might win every game but emerge in a worse situation because we pick up three or four long-term injuries. Any manager with a relatively small squad starts to sweat when a lot of games come together. Over the last few weeks it's been great, because there's been no midweek matches and players have had a chance to recover from knocks and niggles, but once the Christmas rush starts ..."

Which is why, happy as he is with what has been achieved with no outlay whatsoever, Royle has his fingers crossed he will finally be given the chance to spend in the January transfer window.

"There's a lot of work going on in the boardroom to try and make that possible, because I think there's a real opportunity here." He leans forward, serious now. "I don't just mean in terms of winning promotion. Maybe I'm being over-optimistic, but I also think there's a decent chance for whichever clubs go up this season to establish themselves in the Premiership and go forward from there.

"I've long said the Premiership is divided into three divisions. Obviously the top teams, Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, and so on, they're out of sight. What interests me is the rest, the middle and lower tier teams, seem to be closer together than they were; you look at the table and not many points separates 12th from 20th. To me that suggests a promoted team has a better chance of making a fist of it."

That depends however on the quality of those promoted teams. Some would argue Ipswich's current lofty position suggests the standard of the Championship continues to be too far below that of the Premiership. Royle, not surprisingly, demurs. "I'd certainly back my starting XI to compete with some of the teams in the bottom half of the Premiership, but my point is that you're not always in a position to put out your first-choice.

"So far this season we've prepared the players properly and been relatively fortunate with injuries. Last season we struggled for long periods, especially in defence, I think overall I played eleven different combinations at centre-back.

This time around we've had a settled pairing of Richard Naylor and Jason De Vos, with Drissa Diallo filling in from full-back where necessary.

"That makes a heck of a difference and long may it continue, because I think there will soon be a thinning out of clubs who have aspirations to get into the automatic promotion places, and the quality we have here already makes me hopeful we can at least remain one of those."

That Royle is looking beyond the current campaign is evident from the fact he is in the process of negotiating a two-year extension to his contract, due to expire at the end of the season. How much progress has been made can be guaged by the fact Ipswich fans, many of whom were at best ambivalent when Royle was appointed, are more than happy with the prospect of him staying on.

"You have to remember I played for Norwich, and memories run deep in these parts," grins Royle. "There was also a lot of unhelpful stuff in the press about me being a long-ball, route one manager, whatever that means.

"Hopefully the doubters in the North Stand have been won over. Actually I have to be careful what I say, because last time I talked to The Guardian I suggested some supporters had 'Corinthian' values, and I had a couple of annoyed letters from people who thought I was implying it was an amateur outlook.

"My point wasn't that they valued style over results, it was just that the way the team played matters. And that's fine, because it does to me too."

Having clocked up his 1,000 games as a manager back in September - a draw against Reading, after which his main concern was not so much his own longevity as his belief the Reading equaliser was "blatantly offside" - Royle admits he would dearly love to have one more crack at the Premiership, if only to test his theory that the prospects for promoted teams might just be improving.

"There'll be some that say I'm talking nonsense, but then there usually are, and I'm still standing." He rises and winces as the knee creaks. "Just."

Archived