Potential Can of Worms

The Beaver

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Hey, is this a real site? And if so, whey didn't you tell me about it?

As far as I know it's not a real site, just a name I made up. But then again I've not actually tried entering that domain name in my web-browser, so who knows, maybe there is such a site. Why don't you give it a try, and if it exists and it's any good we can get Jarrek to put a direct link to that site on the main page of this one, right next to the Voyageurs Cup link.

Congrat to redhat and The Bev.

Well done, lads! Got one past the 'keep eh?

This bring up a personal pet peeve of mine. This whole business of having kids when you can afford it. That's just crazy.

Never met The Beaver but I've had my encounters with WF and redhat and I know they've both got a couple years on me. But while they'll be buying their wee nippers rattles and soothers and such for Christmas I'm on the hook for a cel 'phone for my 1st born.

Developing careers and buying homes and being financial capable are all "post-children" goals. Or haven't you heard?

Hey! You guys will have to buy mini-vans now! Oh, sure. At first you'll protest, but eventualy you'll be glad that you did....

Oh yes. Yes you will.

Congrats to Beav and redhat on the start to their respective broods.

I have three and lovin' it.

Plus, we have two,count 'em, two mini-vans. Life is great.

And yes, my wife is standing right behind me.

Now she's gone, shame about the LesbianVampire thing, I thought things were starting to pick up around here when I read that.

Enjoy your kids and everyone have a great and safe holiday season.

:D

I first found this site as Canada was gearing up for Belize. Really, it was a shock, as i truthfully have never met anyone in person who is a fan, or even cares about Canadian Soccer. None of my friends care, and not even anyone ive met playing in my university of toronto intramural soccer league cares. Finding this forum, and experiencing my first WCQ with the voyageurs was great, despite our failure (and my personal dissapointment to not see my favourite player J.B. in a meaningful game). Maybe we're not that organized or influential, but its important to soccer in this country that the Voyaguers exist, and its important that the forum stays interesting even in the downtimes. I think as a group, we have to officially turn the page on this past qualifying, and move on.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

shame about the LesbianVampire thing, I thought things were starting to pick up around here when I read that.

Well there's nothing to stop you, The Beaver and the others who have expressed regret at the lack of such a site from creating it yourselves. [:o)]

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

C'mon guys, let's not judge. Love is love, no?

Love is love?

Not not when it costs you 85 bucks, a half-a-tank of gas, a 12 pack of Schlitz, two tickets to go see Walter Ostanek in Kitchener, 3 bucks to get yer spatz all nice and shiny, and 40 bucks for the powder blue tuxedo rental at Fast Eddies costume shop, hat blocking, and wig emporium? Furthermore, is it love when all she wants to talk about is her fondness for ecru nailpolish, the untimely death of the bee-hive hairdo, the lack of good 50's diners in Pentaguishine, methadone withdrawal, monster trucks, the unparalleled greatness of Judith Krantz novels, unwanted carbunkles, the wisdom of Ed Anger columns, Hee Haw, the inner workings of the Hari Krishnas, the Union Carbide Bhopal disaster, and the fact that that poor misunderstood Gary Busey is oh so dreamy? No, no torontosupport, that's not love, that's bad planning and self hatred.

Not to mention the doctoral consultations afterwords, the booked-off work time, the anxiety, dread, emptiness, paranoia, turn to prodigious amounts of alcohol, and two subsequent world-religion conversions.

Sheesh, love is love. What kind of 'bizarro' world are you living in man?

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

Love is love?

Not not when it costs you 85 bucks, a half-a-tank of gas, a 12 pack of Schlitz, two tickets to go see Walter Ostanek in Kitchener, 3 bucks to get yer spatz all nice and shiny, and 40 bucks for the powder blue tuxedo rental at Fast Eddies costume shop, hat blocking, and wig emporium? Furthermore, is it love when all she wants to talk about is her fondness for ecru nailpolish, the untimely death of the bee-hive hairdo, the lack of good 50's diners in Pentaguishine, methadone withdrawal, monster trucks, the unparalleled greatness of Judith Krantz novels, unwanted carbunkles, the wisdom of Ed Anger columns, Hee Haw, the inner workings of the Hari Krishnas, the Union Carbide Bhopal disaster, and the fact that that poor misunderstood Gary Busey is oh so dreamy? No, no torontosupport, that's not love, that's bad planning and self hatred.

Not to mention the doctoral consultations afterwords, the booked-off work time, the anxiety, dread, emptiness, paranoia, turn to prodigious amounts of alcohol, and two subsequent world-religion conversions.

Dude, I feel your pain, I really do. Let me know how I can help you help yourself. ;) (Sort of like coaches coaching coaches to coach, but for sad-sack dudes tormented by love.)

By the way, what do you do for a living (if I can be so bold to ask)? Do you spend even part of your time--paid or otherwise--writing? Your attention to detail, among other things, suggests you are a working writer of some sort.

Dude, I feel your pain, I really do. Let me know how I can help you help yourself. ;) (Sort of like coaches coaching coaches to coach, but for sad-sack dudes tormented by love.)

By the way, what do you do for a living (if I can be so bold to ask)? Do you spend even part of your time--paid or otherwise--writing? Your attention to detail, among other things, suggests you are a working writer of some sort.

Thanks for the concern and extending the hand of kindness Beaver. Usually, i only get that kind of warmth from the Salvation Army during the holidays, at blood donor clinics, and when i pay my bookie 2 large for betting on some old nag 'Atlas's Support Belt' to take the fourth at Batavia Downs. Make that a lesson Beaver, never bet on a horse whose name is a support for one who supports!

And maybe the answer to the second question will give an answer to the first question. I am a graduate student, it's the studies that make detail, detail, detail my mantra at times. So yes Beaver, my Grad school existence may go quite some ways in explaining the 'bad planning and self-hatred'. ;)

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

Love is love?

Seriously Juaninho, you fake Brazilian leper, if you insult my girlfriend once again, I'm gonna get my friends to come 'round your house and rough up your whole family. Pentanguishine has fine cuisine...ain't you even been in prison? Just 'cause I love a lesbian vampire, you'd hang me out to dry just like that?

Love, peoples, love.

Perhaps this isn't the sort of thing we want to talk about here, but I thought I'd raise this just in case others were feeling the same way and wanted to discuss it (briefly, I hope).

Very simply: Am I right (or wrong) in thinking the spirit of this forum has gotten sort of nasty over the past little while? It sort of seems like we've lost patience with each other. Yes, we've had scraps in the past, and there will always be good, contentious debate at times, but it also seems like there is a rather angry, not-particularly-generous undercurrent these days. And, I can sort of assume why this is happening: We are all still sore about the WCQ campaign, and relatively speaking, there isn' a whole lot happening in soccer to keep us properly distracted.

I will not make any suggestions--I've entered plenty of scraps over the past little while--but I wonder what you guys are feeling. Where is G-L and some of the other traditionally active Voyageurs? Is there reason to believe things are disintegrating here, or am I simply picking up on errant vibes? Or are we just bored out of our trees? [V]

Any thoughts?

Vive le Canada!

We should still be pissed off. If we just keep on saying, "Oh Well, maybe next time" then we'll never get out of this ridiculous mess that we are in. The MNT is crap, and they need to hear about it!

Grad studies? I truly feel your pain now. Did my masters a few years ago and am thankful it was a "terminal degree" for that course of study. What are you studying? Post-Colonial Football and Post-Post Modern Globalism? Any chance your studies might weave in our plight as a lesser soccer nation? At minimum, could you make some useful reference to Iain Hume and The Frank Yallop Experience?

Well, the promoter and i are at loggerheads. I think that the thesis 'Applied Chaos Theory and Yallop's Player Selection: A Lesson in Abject Failure' has teeth while the promoter seems to believe '20 Years of the CSA: a New Approach to Refuting Leibniz's "we live in the best of all possible worlds" Assertion' makes for better reading. Maybe a compromise between the two can be struck.

I'll bear in mind your fondness for well-placed scatology in future posts. :) And when the time comes when the Beaver brood becomes a trifecta, i'll raise a hearty glass of beer in a westward direction, craft a fine toast, and down in your honor.

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

Seriously Juaninho, you fake Brazilian leper, if you insult my girlfriend once again, I'm gonna get my friends to come 'round your house and rough up your whole family. Pentanguishine has fine cuisine...ain't you even been in prison? Just 'cause I love a lesbian vampire, you'd hang me out to dry just like that?

Love, peoples, love.

Alas, it is true, despite your well-placed warnings, leperosy is not the healthiest way to lose weight. The world hates nothing more then leprosy poseurs.

It's not what she is that i find problematic, but how she is. It's those unreasonable demands placed upon you, like your need to discover new constellations and name them after her, the constant raids to the blood bank, your exchanged belief in a helio-centric universe for a pluto-centric universe, your new thoughts that the Leningrad cowboys are the best band of all time and that all food should be colored with Yellow Die #12, the unending pressure she puts on you to try to convert xantham into a super potent energy source, and lastly,your new and inflexible view that all of earthly creation began somewhere in the Borscht Belt, about 38 miles from Cleveland.

You're compromising too much of yourself man.

Juaninho, I'll go out on a limb and guess that you are doing post-grad work in philosophy. Care to divulge the focus of your studies? Following the Anglo-American tradition or the Continental? Of course this is only my bias, but it seems to me real soccer fans would rather study Lecan and Lyotard than Russell et al. Or is that me assuming that soccer fans are more European than Anglo-American? Or, and this is probably more accurate, does anybody really give a dammit?

Juaninho, I'll go out on a limb and guess that you are doing post-grad work in philosophy. Care to divulge the focus of your studies? Following the Anglo-American tradition or the Continental? Of course this is only my bias, but it seems to me real soccer fans would rather study Lecan and Lyotard than Russell et al. Or is that me assuming that soccer fans are more European than Anglo-American? Or, and this is probably more accurate, does anybody really give a dammit?

Bruces' Philosophers Song (Monty Python)

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant

Who was very rarely stable

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar

Who could think you under the table

David Hume could out-consume

Willhelm Freidrich Hagel

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine

Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya

'Bout the raising of the wrist

Socrates himself was permanently pissed

John Stuart Mill of his own free will