Why didnt CSA buy the skydome

fan

what was it sold for 25 million i think and what are they paying for the new one?

The 2 championsworld games each year would pay for quite a chunk of the skydome.

Imagine the name of the skydome is now the Canadian soccer Skydome.

THe blue jays and Argos would have to play on grass and they would be paying the CSA for use.

Does anyone know what the annual revenue for the skydome is.

Why didnt the CSA bid or anyone else besides rogers anyway?

Now that Ted Rogers owns the Dome, maybe he'll push to get some soccer in there and actually televise some games. It sure looked nice when Liverpool and Roma were there, maybe they could throw done some seats and show the World Cup on the Jumbrotron!

Fan, as far as I recall , the CSA are paying nothing for the new stadium to be built at York. However they are still a major part of that stadium because without the 2007 World Under 20 Soccer Championships being awarded to Canada, the government would not have granted the money for the stadium,,, I believe the Argos owners are picking up the rest of the cost if I remember correctly. The CSA does not have 25 million dollars kicking around to spend, if they did, I would have been awful upset they didn't use some of that to arrange a few more friendlies or camps before this round of world cup qualifying.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Because the CSA doesn't HAVE $25m in their entire budget.

A "better" question might be "Why hasn't invested $100m to start up a national league / cup / space program?".

Sorry people, this forum has officially gone to the dogs.

If they don't have $25m where on earth would they get $100m from?

The new stadium will be fine for soccer in the future and with luck the CFL will go under and soccer can have it on it's own.

quote:Originally posted by fan

what was it sold for 25 million i think and what are they paying for the new one?

The 2 championsworld games each year would pay for quite a chunk of the skydome.

Imagine the name of the skydome is now the Canadian soccer Skydome.

THe blue jays and Argos would have to play on grass and they would be paying the CSA for use.

Does anyone know what the annual revenue for the skydome is.

Why didnt the CSA bid or anyone else besides rogers anyway?

No offense, but that has to rank as one of the worst ideas I've ever seen posted on this board, and there have been some doozies.

I heard that the CSA wanted to buy B.C.'s fast cat ferries and convert them into portable indoor soccer facilities. They could then transport players from Europe and train them on the way back to Canada for games at huge savings and no jet lag.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

I heard that the CSA wanted to buy B.C.'s fast cat ferries and convert them into portable indoor soccer facilities. They could then transport players from Europe and train them on the way back to Canada for games at huge savings and no jet lag.

Damn, this is genius! One problem: We've already sold the bloody ferries. But I'm sure we could buy them back for 3 times what we sold them for.

Does anyone have any actual numbers on the costss of the dome operating and so forth.

Its not an idea Ed its a question.Thats why its formed as a question.

They acquired 27 million from the feds and 8 million from the province thats would have been sufficient to at least bid my question was what are the other expenses involved compared to revenues and thus a loss or profit.

And for those few on here who ruin it,stop trying so hard to be the creep in the playground and first to point fingers and pay more attention to the questions and facts folks.

There are questions on other boarrds about the actual expenses and since the tax payers were ripped on this one i wanted to know if there were any realistically accurate figures posted anywhere.

Most of the expenses seemed to be concluded as wastes or mismanagement by financial people in toronto.

quote:If they don't have $25m where on earth would they get $100m from?

The new stadium will be fine for soccer in the future and with luck the CFL will go under and soccer can have it on it's own.

Yeah, that makes MUCH more sense. Let's hope the major tenant who is building it fails and the stadium loses it's major revenue stream.

Dumbass.

quote:Originally posted by savagebeast

If they don't have $25m where on earth would they get $100m from?

Colour me missed-the-joke.

Well if the CSA is in the White Elephant market BC PLACE and the BIG O are still avialable . hahahahahahhaha....ohhhhhh.....hahahahaha.

Tax payers payed for the fixed link to PEI maybe we could stage games there.

Wait the link has fixed lines like Molson Stadium we can't play there.

Traffic lines CFL lines what's the difference.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Damn, this is genius! One problem: We've already sold the bloody ferries. But I'm sure we could buy them back for 3 times what we sold them for.

This is going away from soccer, but this thread is crazy anyway, so I hope no one bothers! I went to B.C. in 2001 and my uncle who lives there almost got an heart-attack when he told me the story about the ferries and the waste of tax-millions. So now that you mentioned them I want to know what happend to them. I also heard that they we're build in Germany, is that right? If, they we're build in my beautiful city of Kiel.

quote:This is going away from soccer, but this thread is crazy anyway, so I hope no one bothers! I went to B.C. in 2001 and my uncle who lives there almost got an heart-attack when he told me the story about the ferries and the waste of tax-millions. So now that you mentioned them I want to know what happend to them. I also heard that they we're build in Germany, is that right? If, they we're build in my beautiful city of Kiel.
The three "Fast Cat" catamaran ferries, championed by former NDP Premier Glen Clark, were actually built here in BC in the 1990s. Clark pitched them as a chance for BC to develop and sell world-class technology. The ferries were dogged by design problems and cost overruns and, once in the water, proved unsuitable for their proposed routes. They were sold a couple of years ago for a tiny fraction of their original cost. (The three ferries, which cost about $450 million, were sold for $20 million.) The "fast ferry fiasco" (as it is known), and its fiscal ineptitude, was a huge reason for the near obliteration of the NDP in the 2001 election.

BTW, the BC Ferry Corp is currently building three super-class ferries, which is where the German angle comes in. The work -- estimated to create 2,000 jobs and be worth $500 million -- has been controversially awarded offshore, to Flensburger Shipyard in Germany.

Archived