Your new starting 11 (and 7 subs)

The Beaver

Okay, let's each play backseat manager and select our starting line-up for Gold Cup 2005, with 7 subs. This should prove interesting. Provide, if you'd like, a short explanation for why you've selected this starting crew, including a brief idea of your overall style/game philosophy. I've not thought about this at all, but will take a stab at it:

Lars

Nsaliwa Hutch Imhoff Kluka

Stalteri DeGuzman Grande Brennan

Hume DeRo

Subs

Sutton

Ocean, Simpson, Serioux, Bent

Bernier, McKenna

----

Damn, I'm sure I'm missing somebody. This is a fairly young team, the idea being that Devos needs to stick around to help these guys learn to play together, and to teach some of the "older" guys how to lead. McKenna and Imhoff could become important leaders out there. This is a fairly quick, fairly talented team that simply needs to learn how to play together. Bent may be a wasted selection, but I feel he still has decent things to offer, and could always slot in at back.

Let me see your selections.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gk-lars hirschfeld

lwb-klukowski

cd-de vos

cd-nsaliwa

rwb-stalteri

lm-brennan

dm-serioux

cm-de guzman

rm-hutchinson

st-de rosario

st-hume

subs:

gk-sutton

df/mf-hutchinson

df-mckenna

mf-simpson

mf-bernier

mf-grande

st-occean

as with beav, i am sure i missed some folks! let's see. lars is training at a very high level regardless of playing time and has been doing so for years now. he isn't there to fill a spot, he's got talent. kluka seems to add something special at the back and scores goals as well. can offer a more attacking option at the back with more talent than can jaxic. nswaliwa as well can add speed and skill at the back, as well as being quite tenacious. which is huge in this region. stalteri is an obvious pick. despite brennan's problem's currently he is a fantastic talent and would add a lot of composure and assuredness (sp?) to our midfield. offer great width and good speed. serioux is a fantastic player when on his game, and his throws are kicks. de guz is pure talent. hutchinson is a good addition because he can attack down the wing and interchange with de guzman and serioux in the middle to give us a different look. hume and de ro can be highly effective playing off each other - IF they get the appropriate service.

i went with speed as well, and with the idea that de vos is a good link from past to future.

GK Hirschfeld

LB Jazic

RB Stalteri

CB DeVos

CB Imhof

RM Brennan

LM Simpson

CM Hutchison

CM Serioux

F Hume

F Occean

Subs: Sutton, DeGuzman, DeGuzman, McKenna, Grande

Note the lack of DeRosario, who depsite notching 2 goals, I felt he was way out of place out there. He was uninspiring, and often out of position. And for him to lament the defense after the home game vs. Costa Rica, was insulting.

Also, no Jamie Peters, because no club for the past how long, means no spot on the big team. Not to mention, he's 17, and is years away from an opportunity.

DeVos is our leader, and the only one who played well in the WCQ campaign. As long as he's willing, he's on the team.

Beyond that, I chose Hirschfeld by default, having never seen Sutton play. He's sure earned himself an opportunity though, as far as what I've read is concerned.

--------------Sutton--------------

----Stalteri---Devos---Klukowski--

------Hutchinson----De Guzman-----

----Hume----Grande-----Brennan----

--------Derosario---Occean--------

Subs: Bircham, McKenna, Serioux, Hirschfeld, Bernier, Nsaliwa, Simpson

Kind of a 3-5-2 just to mix things up a bit. Normally I like De Guzman in the playmaking role, but Grande impressed me and Guz has been playing defensive mid for his club and doing quite well. Not sure if Hume is in the right position, but I like him on the wing. He seems to be getting better at feeding the strikers.

It would be interesting if nothing else.

Time for a very attacking and revolutionary 4-3-3:

-----------------Thunder Dan

-----------------Frank Yallop

---Paul Fenwick, Randy Samuel, Aaron Steele

Geoff Aunger, "Mighty" Mel Bottiglieri, Nílton Terroso

---Vladmir Eduouard, Joey Torchia, John Catliff

Subs:

Hubert Busby Jr

Mark Watson

Fernando Aguiar

Matt Rosenfeld

Gordon Chin

Owen Hargreaves

Brian Budd

Gk.Lars

rb.Stalteri

cb.Nsaliwa

cb.Devos

lb.Klukowski

rm.Hume

cm.Grande

cm.Deguzman

lm.Brennan

f.Derosario

f.Occean

subs. Sutton, McKenna, Hutchinson, Bernier, Simpson, Serioux,Imhoff

I've never seen Sutton so i have to go with Lars. For me right now Hume is a winger not a striker but I hope that changes. And if Hutchinson is as good as he's supposed to be he'll be starting sooner rather than later hopefully in the centre of midfield.

I hope to see an attcking team at the next Gold Cup,we have some talent coming through atleast, despite the WCQ disaster. I would play a foward thinking 4-3-1-2

l - r

Hirschfeld

Nsaliwa DeVos McKenna Hutchinson

Brennan DeGuzman Stalteri

Hume

De Rosario Occean

Subs: Sutton,Radzinski,Simpson,Grande,Serioux,Klukouski,Peters

worth consideration: Gervais, Peschisolido, Stamatopolous,Bernier, Friend,Jazic, Ucello, Imhoff

Always fun to play armchair Manager.

Personally, I still like a 3-4-1-2 formation and tried selecting the best 3 dedicated defenders, the best 3 offensive producers and best 4 tireless 2-way players for the middle, with speed players on the wings. I listed this in 2 options, depending on if deVos and Radzinski retire, or not.

GK: Sutton

RB: Nsaliwa

CB: Imhof

LB: deVos (Jazic if deVos retires)

RM: Stalteri

CM: Hutchinson

CM: deGuzman

LM: Brennan

OM: Hume

ST: deRosario

ST: Radzinski (Occean if Radzinski Retires)

subs: Bernier, Simpson, Kuklowski, McKenna, Hirschfeld

add: Brilliant and Reda (if Radzinski and deVos retire)

[depth/tough cuts: Peters, Grande, Serioux, Bircham, Pozniak, Gervais]

quote:Originally posted by northboys

Time for a very attacking and revolutionary 4-3-3:

-----------------Thunder Dan

-----------------Frank Yallop

---Paul Fenwick, Randy Samuel, Aaron Steele

Geoff Aunger, "Mighty" Mel Bottiglieri, Nílton Terroso

---Vladmir Eduouard, Joey Torchia, John Catliff

Subs:

Hubert Busby Jr

Mark Watson

Fernando Aguiar

Matt Rosenfeld

Gordon Chin

Owen Hargreaves

Brian Budd

You forgot Issey Farran Morgan Nakajima as our super sub.

Jaime Peters is a pretty difficult player for us to evaluate, right now, based mainly on his being "young and fast". I think that some of us are anxious for Jaime to get settled with a club first, before jumping to conclusions that he is the next saviour. At 17, he is still so young - no need to rush him, just yet - could hurt his long-term development.

This never gets boring!

--------Lars-----

---Nsaliwa---DeVos

Pozniak---------Simpson

--------Attiba----

--------DeGuz-------

Stalteri----------Brennan

-------------Hume--------

------McKenna------

DeVos has got a Premiership campaign to prepare for so should be handled carefully. In his absence (and it's a sad day when he's not playing) McKenna is in the back line as captain and Occean starts up front. The self described "Kewl Gang" of DeRo, JP and Serioux is lounging on the pines with special instructions from the sponsors to wear shades and look like they don't care at all times. The "Blac Quebecois" of Occean, Bernier and Brillant have their own clique at the other end of the bench.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Too bad they weren't the official opposition!

...and someone posts a comlaint about the political incorrectness and insensitvity of the term Blac Quebecois in 3-2-1...

Why? Is that why you coined the phrase? To get a reaction? Damn, dude, don't tell me you're trolling for attention, too.

Hi all, longtime lurker here. Heres my lineup.

------------ Lars

Klukowski -- Devos -- Saliwa

-----------Deguzman

Stalteri -- Huthinson -- Brennan

-----------Radzinski

------Derosario -- Occean

subs: Mckenna, Hume, Jazic, Serioux, Simpson, Imhoff, Sutton

Maybe switch Degoo and Hutch around

Mckenna as a striker only, never on defence , please.

I like this spot for the rat, too bad he wont be there. (Replace with Hume)

Just guessing on Kluko.

This lineup would have gotten us to the Hex, easy. Too late now.

bye

"I wouldn't think it's offensive. It's a pun and, well, they are black. It's not used in a derogatory sense or whatever."

That's it I'm movin to Montreal where they still have a sense of humour! Au Revoir all you uptight Anglos!

Hey Daniel can you still smoke and drink at the same time in Quebec? How about the sushi, is it frozen or fresh? Any chance of seasons tickets to see the Impact play?

Archived