CPSL Off-season

hamiltonfan

Lets post all stuff about the CPSL this off season in here, just to keep the boards nice a clean:D

-----------------------------------------------

CPSL PLANNING ITS FUTURE

The Canadian Professional Soccer League is planning its future.

Launched in 1997 with its first season in 1998, the CPSL has long been recognized as an important part of the professional soccer structure in Canada, particularly since the highly trumpeted First Division Canadian United Soccer League (CUSL) failed to materialize following a number of promising announcements in 2000 and 2001.

Sepp Blatter, president of FIFA, urged the further development of professional soccer in Canada during a three-day tour here December 2001.

“If you want to enhance the profile of soccer, you need this platform provided by a professional league,” he said during the visit.

The CPSL figured in plans announced by the CUSL and the Canadian Soccer Association in 2001, but Canada’s only complete pro league has generally been left alone to decide its destiny.

Recent day-long meetings at Windsor, Ontario and at The Soccer Centre in Vaughan just north of Toronto, has allowed the CPSL Board of Directors the opportunity to reflect on the past (there was a planning meeting July 2000), and to now see what the league should look like in years to come.

Vincent Ursini, chairman and president of the CPSL, opened the first meeting at the St. Clair College in Windsor with a vision beyond 2010. “While we will focus on the next three years and five years, we should also look at where the league should be in 10 years, with a clear understanding and agreement of the direction the CPSL is heading,” he said.

Discussions were wide-ranging, including country-wide expansion, a Women’s pro league, the popular Open Canada Cup competition, professional soccer standards and working with the soccer community.

Announcements are expected during the coming weeks.

Im glad to see them focusing on the future. They may be more semi pro now, but every league takes time. One thing the league could do better is marketing This applies in their exsistent cities as well as trying to drum up more media coverage nationally. I wouldnt mind seeing a bit more coverage here on the forum either.

Let's hope that this is all true, rather than all talk from Vince Ursini. We have heard all these promises before from the CPSL. You guys all remember John Kelly and the Western CPSL idea, whereby everything turned out to be empty promises and a complete hoax. I am really hoping that something substantial and concrete comes-out here, especially for: country-wide expansion, open-cup tournament, women league (WCPSL), etc...

2004_12_06_vincent_ursini.jpg

VINCENT URSINI

Let's hope that this is all true, rather than all talk from Vince Ursini. We have heard all these promises before from the CPSL. You guys all remember John Kelly and the Western CPSL idea, whereby everything turned out to be empty promises and a complete hoax. I am really hoping that something substantial and concrete comes-out here, especially for: country-wide expansion, open-cup tournament, women league (WCPSL), etc...

2004_12_06_vincent_ursini.jpg

VINCENT URSINI

quote:Originally posted by François

How can they «drum up more media coverage nationally» when it's a deluxe Ontario Senior League...

The CPSL, irrigardless of what level of soccer they really are, are a Canadian League entity that is trying to establish themselves here. If they want to be taken seriously, just about any positive media attention they can bring to trying to raise interest in the domestic game, is good attention. If other (even far away,) parts of the country see that there is headway being made in atleast one part of the country , this is positive for the whole game in Canada.

Some times half the battle for clubs or leagues like this one, is letting the public know they simply exist and that fans and perhaps sponsors and players have atleast some thing at home to support.

from CPSL site:

http://www.cpsl.org/news.asp?news=397

------------------------------------------------------

NEWS

CPSL SETS DEADLINE FOR 2005 APPLICATIONS

The Canadian Professional Soccer League has set December 31 as the deadline to accept applications from new teams looking to play in the 2005 season.

Several groups have expressed interest in joining Canada’s only complete soccer league [[:0][?][:o)]], which will kick off its league competition in May, 2005 with games through to mid-October, a five-month long campaign.

In addition to pre-season games, the CPSL calendar includes the regular league schedule leading to the playoffs for the CPSL Championship and the increasingly popular Open Canada Cup, which enables leading amateur teams the one opportunity to meet the pros.

Toronto Croatia, a team celebrating half a century in Canadian soccer in 2006, won the 2004 CPSL championship, while first-year Border Stars, a team with players and support from both sides of the Canada-U.S. border, won the Open Canada Cup.

All applicants must complete and return an application by midnight, Friday, December 31 to be considered for the new season. The CPSL offices at (905) 856-5439 are open from 9 a.m. through 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, for those requiring information and interested in receiving a 2005 application package. An e-mail can go to cpsl@cpsl.ca or regular mail can be sent to The Canadian Professional Soccer League, Inc., The Soccer Centre, 7601 Martin Grove Road, Vaughan, Ontario L4L 9E4.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

hamiltonfan, is the CPSL expected to expand into new markets come the new year???? And do you have any faith that this conference will solve some of the painful problems from the past???

I do believe there will be atleast one new team in the CPSL next year at the most three, but I doubt that. I'm sure this meeting did solve something, what that is..who knows.

I know this question may seem insane, but I really need to know how many teams are presently in the CPSL??? According to the official website of the CPSL, they have included Laval Dynamites as part of the league, thus making the league with 12 teams all together. What I find so ironic here is that I was under the impression that Laval sat-out the 2004 season given the fact that their closest rival Ottawa was no longer in the league. Can we now confirm that Laval is certainly back in the league for the 2005 season???

Yes, Laval did not enter a team in the league in 2004. I think that they are still members of the league however in a technical/business sense. Basically what that means is that their franchise was not revoked and they wouldn't have to pay a franchise fee to rejoin. I think it's still up in the air whether they'll join up again in '05.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

As of now brampton is out as with new team both ottawa and laval are rumored to be joining.

Too bad Brampton is out of the league. I am really hoping that Ottawa and Laval make their return once again. I would also like to see competitive markets such as Kitchener, Kingston, Woodbridge, and posibly Barrie in the league for 2005.

CPSL story:

Our Christmas Release (ie CPSL)

MARKUS GAUSS BUILDER OF SOCCER

TORONTO—Wednesday, December 22--A pioneer in soccer in Southwestern Ontario hits the three-quarter mark on Thursday.

Markus (Max) Gauss, who brought the original London professional soccer franchise to the National Soccer League in 1969 to be one of the builders of soccer in that part of the province, and is the only president the London club has ever known, will be 75.

The National Soccer League was launched in the lean and turbulent years of the 1920s yet it stood the test of time more than any other professional league in North America. The NSL is the forerunner of the Canadian National Soccer League and today’s Canadian Professional Soccer League. London City is a member of the CPSL and Markus’ son, Harry Paul Gauss, is its general manager.

Markus Gauss was born of German parents at Filipovo in the former Yugoslavia on December 23, 1929. The Gauss family, Markus, his wife and two sons emigrated from Germany to Canada in 1958 and made their way from the arrival point in Montreal to Winnipeg, Manitoba, where they lived for six months before heading east and settling in Southwestern Ontario.

Markus Gauss immediately saw the ideal amenities of the German-Canadian Club on Cove Road in London as perfect for a professional soccer franchise. Launched as London German Canadians, the team was a top draw at home and away, with most of the away games being at Stanley Park in Toronto’s west end where attendances of 6,000 to 8,000 were commonplace.

London German Canadians and the more recent London City, founded on St. Valentine’s Day, February 14, 1973, have given professional soccer and The Cove a place of some prominence in Southwestern Ontario for more than 30 years and today the club is seen as the ideal soccer environment, a point at which talented youth can quickly gain the conditioning and toughness necessary for a chance at the big time.

The Canadian Professional Soccer League salutes Markus Gauss this holiday season, for his vision in setting the stage many years ago. It is little wonder he is so often referred to as the godfather of professional soccer in this southwestern region of the province.

The Canadian Professional Soccer League takes this opportunity to thank all members of the media for the considerable coverage of professional soccer in 2004 and to wish you and yours all the very best for a wonderful holiday season and every success in the coming year.

Please refer to Stan Adamson, Director of Media and Public Relations at

(905) 856-5439 or (416) 621-6646.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Half-wit responses like this to someone asking an honest question have no place on this forum.

It's also becoming pathetically redundant and slowly killing this forum.

Well it has taken me years to understand that my lack of understanding of big cities folk and their thinking is equal to big city folks lack of understanding of us small town folk.

So I will take the previous response as either a joke or a back lash against a whole lot of negativity directed at a big city.

Either way we posters should try to remember some posters are teen-agers and some of us are not so freedom 55'ers or more and all in betwixt

Personally I will lay off any post directed at specific regions.

Just don't bait me and I won't bait you.

But you gotta admit Poutine & Lobster Division was original for some-one posting about the Uppity Canadian Pro (maybe) Soccer League.[:o)]

Ooops I did it again;)

Really.

As for knocking small towns, I would never. I am a big supporter of the Canadian Women's Professional Indoor Soccer League, which is aiming for a team in every Jr C hockey market by the end of 2007. I have signed up as a potential season ticket holder of the group trying to bring a team to Sturgeon Falls.

I happen to think that small town Canada can support pro soccer at the same level that small town Holland can. Considering that we saved Holland from the Germans in 1945, I think we can easily double their attendances figures with a little community spirit and some hard work. It’s what our veterans died for in towns like Den Vander Sloop, that some day Association Football would be entrenched in the towns and villages trough-out this great country of liberators.

As for knocking an All-Canadian league. I was an original season ticket holder of the Belleville BeaverRatz Of the Canadian Women's Pro Lacrosse Association in 1976. I fully support anything that Farley Mowat would have given thumbs up to. I am as Canuck as the rest of you.

I am currently working on a coffee table book called "Corner Flags of the USL (Canada)" I will travel to every Canadian USL team in 2005 and i'll attempt to take pictures of all home stadium corner flags. My only worry is that my camera will smash by the local Ultras upset at my attempt to bring the game to the common man. This is the second installment in a trilogy of corner flag books. My first "Corner Flags of the PCSL" sold briskly at various soccer coaching conventions. The last book will be the "Corner Flags of the Ontario Youth Soccer League" I predict this book will break the sport in Canada, and that you will all owe me an everlasting place at your children’s diner table, as they watch Red Deer Town defeat Manchester United in Pan Atlantic Cup competition.

I look forward to working with all in 2005 to reach our first goal- a 7th place finish in the Gold Cup.

This may be tiresome to some, but when the going get tuff, the crazies get rolling.....if you got them..smoke em boys.

Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua - 01/14/2005 : 22:09:43</u>

Guys, it will not surprise me at all that about 4-5 teams join the CPSL this coming season. Plus, Canadian merger of all provinicial leagues under the umbrella of the CPSL. I hope this is not wishfull thinking, but let's hope that it is good news.

CPSL NEWS

NEW TEAMS BIDDING FOR PLACE IN CPSL

The Canadian Professional Soccer League is considering a number of new teams looking to play in the 2005 season.

Several groups have expressed interest in joining Canada’s only complete soccer league, which will kick off its league competition in May, 2005 with games through to mid-October, a five-month long campaign.

In addition to pre-season games, the CPSL calendar includes the regular league schedule leading to the playoffs for the CPSL Championship and the increasingly popular Open Canada Cup, which enables leading amateur teams the one opportunity to meet the pros.

Toronto Croatia, a team celebrating half a century in Canadian soccer in 2006, won the 2004 CPSL championship, while first-year Border Stars, a team with players and support from both sides of the Canada-U.S. border, won the Open Canada Cup.

http://www.cpsl.ca/news.asp?news=401

Archived