Wanted: U20 Canadian Soccer League

Robert

It has been a resent subject for debate within the Canadian soccer community, that our men fail to remain internationally competitive as they age. Somewhere in the late teenage years, their cream fails to rise to the top. With Canada hosting the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship, is it therefore not of imperative importance that the Canadian Soccer Association endeavour to do their utmost efforts in preparing the 16 and 17 year olds of today, for it is these boys who will be representing us in 2007 when the soccer world's spotlight will be focused on Canada.

Kevan Pipe, C.O.O. of the CSA, has done a wonderful job ensuring that Canada was awarded the honour of hosting this prestigious tournament. This truly is the pinnacle of his 18 years of service to Canadian soccer. With candour, Chief Pipe has always admitted that he takes great pride in his administrative abilities and that managing the actual field operations have never been his forte. The time has therefore come for the CSA to acquire the services of the best available candidate for this very crucial stage of our undertaking. The talent for this tournament is not going to come from overseas. That is hopefully where they will wind up if they compete successfully. This is a once in a life time opportunity for Canada and we must ensure that no talent is overlooked. Some form of a nationally competitive league for under 20 year old players has to be implemented as soon as possible. We can not wait until six months prior to the start of this tournament before we begin to prepare. The clock is now ticking and it is time for the CSA directors to act. Now.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

This is a case where PDL fits in nicely, with limietd regional travel.

Same goes for the payroll. We don't have to pay teenagers $30,000 a season. By getting high schools, colleges and universities involved, $$$s could be converted into scholarships.

how about sending the best 20-- 16 year olds to European or South American clubs. Pay those clubs the players room and board-- and if the players work out-- great.

Do it every year for 5 years and you have a pool of 100 players.

Why create a league that no one wants?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

how about sending the best 20-- 16 year olds to European or South American clubs. Pay those clubs the players room and board-- and if the players work out-- great.

Do it every year for 5 years and you have a pool of 100 players.

Why create a league that no one wants?

What kind of Canadian are you? What kind of soccer fan are you? We're not Haiti? If we were we could just start a world league in Florida, eh? Jesus, one Kevan Pipe in this country is enough.

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about the CPSL and other provincial leagues. This is perhaps the greatest opportunity to revive CPSL President Vince Ursini's project of amalgamating the provincial leagues in this country under the umbrella of the CPSL. You guys still remember that Ursini tried to do this about 4-years ago, but he failed because some provinces expressed concern. Anyway, our youth system will flourish under this whole system. Let's remember that Atiba Hutchinson is a product of the CPSL.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

What kind of Canadian are you? What kind of soccer fan are you? We're not Haiti? If we were we could just start a world league in Florida, eh? Jesus, one Kevan Pipe in this country is enough.

Ummm. I remember watching a documentary on Stalin. When ever someone said something he didn't like. They would be acused of being anti-soviet.

I the kind of Canadian who grew up playing soccer in local leagues. Played provicially. Played university ball and in some good leagues as an adult. I had Manic season tickets when I was 14. I used my paper route money to buy them.

I seen the system from the inside. What we lack in this country is coaching. Creating a league for 20 years with the same crap coaches won't develop anything.

We need to send our players to good coaches if we want to get better.

The last we need to have soccer grow in this country is a league full of Edmonton Avaiator type teams who will do more damage and further make our sport a laughing stock in the eyes of non- beleivers.

Come up with a list of 30 licensed coaches willing to coach U-20 for basically free and then you can talk about player development.

The USL has nice pyramid structure. You might have noticed that the finals for the Super Y League (17 year old boys) was on Fox Sports world this past week weekend. The match featured a final involving the Chicago Magic versus West Kendall who won the South east division. The Chicago club won 1-0 over a Florida club ( West Kendal) consiting of players who ( sadly) seemed to believe that feigning injuring was key ingredient in winning in soccer. You can see from watching this level of soccer that those tactics are culturally engrained. But I digress.

To make a long story short, there were Canadian clubs in each of the four divisions ( 4 teams in each div) participating in the tournamnent. Along with a club from Okanangan, the Toronto Lynx Juniors were also involved and managed to reach the semi finals. There were age groups in boys and girls from ages 15-17. Then you have the PDL leagues for many university aged players where they can play at high level without jeopardizing their amateur status. The announcers praised at great lenght the calibre of the PDL going so far to state that it is better than many top tier US college competition. Plus the athletes get to extend their seasons by playing in the PDL and thus able to compete better with euro players when it comes to development time.

The point that I am getting at is: There are often posts on this forum lamenting how we lack this and that from an organizational or structural standpoint. But in many cases we are not missing those ingrediants at all, it just that people don't seem to bother to look. There are plenty of development avenues for young players in canada. Furthermore, for those who have been participating in this forum for 4 years or more, remember were we were in 2000?. We are much much better off now and the calibre of our top level of soccer ( ie.: A-league) has improved immensely over the years. But the problem remains that, as long as the a-league remains a second division to the the MLS, it will be hard to develop international calibre players and retain them in Canada if that's the highest players can go. As far as U20's, well I mentioned the USL structure above, then you have CpSL, provincial league, A-league etc etc. Since 1998, we have done OK well at the U20 level internationally. Sure its not perfect but the problems ( at youth levels ) are really realted to individual skills development not structiures. " A national league for U20"? come on, whose going to pay for it? Plus, if you are going to try to fix something, you better make sure its broken.

Yes, it could work if it had several regional "conferences" without interconference play ,except for a final tournament, and if costs were kept down (if the amateur concept of the PDL is kept, this would help).

To serve it's purposes, there should be many teams, and this is where applying the rationale of piggy-backing to the American system (valid for the MLS and the A-league for now) starts to break down. If there are several teams in the same area, why bother being affiliated to the PDL, as good a league as that may be? The justification for being in the Americian system is to have other higher-calibre teams to play.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

The cpsl is such a mess right now it woul do more harm then good.

jay dog, i really like how you no so much about the CPSL because of how? The CPSL is not in a mess right now. It might be a smaller league and in the past has been in a mess, but it is not in a mess that does more harm then good to soccer in canada.

what do you have the shows the league is not in good shape. Sorry man, but after thw Wizards were taking out of the league you have only said bad thing about it. The CPSL is doing better the the CSA, atleast they have an open cup going. The CPSL have been in trouble in the passed but right now they are not.

I am sorry did you say its doing better then the csa now i know your high.The cpsl is the weak link of canadian league the pcsl,qesl,amsl

are all in much better shape then the cpsl.You aslo making the wizards out as beeing the bad guys yes they had there problems but the cpsl had alot to blame with that whole thing.As with the open cup not much to say

a monkey could have done a better job.

wow i say we fight...haha only joking.

I think everyone here think the CSA is run by a bunch of idiots. The Wizards owner is a nut, and I'm sure you no it deep down inside. I have a wizards shirt and cap just to show support towards pro soccer in canada but i think we all no he is a freak. I believe the CPSL is in fine shape right now, they could be in much better(like the EPL, MLS, Series A...) shape...i forsure no that but there not a mess.

I have been smoken the reaf a bit to much lately...how'd u no[8D]

Ummm. I remember watching a documentary on Stalin. When ever someone said something he didn't like. They would be acused of being anti-soviet.

I the kind of Canadian who grew up playing soccer in local leagues. Played provicially. Played university ball and in some good leagues as an adult. I had Manic season tickets when I was 14. I used my paper route money to buy them.

I seen the system from the inside. What we lack in this country is coaching. Creating a league for 20 years with the same crap coaches won't develop anything.

We need to send our players to good coaches if we want to get better.

The last we need to have soccer grow in this country is a league full of Edmonton Avaiator type teams who will do more damage and further make our sport a laughing stock in the eyes of non- beleivers.

Come up with a list of 30 licensed coaches willing to coach U-20 for basically free and then you can talk about player development.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

To think you can actually put someone through a 6 week course and have a world class coach goes to show how much in lala land you are Robert.

Maybe not World Class, but definately improved which is the goal right? It is the concept not the content that I was trying to present. In reallity none of those coaches world do. I'm suggesting if our main problem has been identified, and since Frank Yallop has said so, many others are now voicing similar points of view. The thing that puzzles me about Frank saying this is; Is Frank crying out for personal help or has he become such a high level coach himself in such a short time that he sees no equals to himself in Canada? In his first coaching job he enjoyed success, in his second dismal failure, which in my opinion puts him borderline when you ask the unanswerable question of how influencial a coach is over the results of his team. Could even I get a victory as coach of the Brazilian national team in a World Cup match?

Archived