Canadians abroad: December 3-9, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

None!

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for December 3-9, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Okey-dokey.

Today, Mike Klukowski and La Louviere hosts AA Gent.

On Saturday here's the schedule:

Fulham (Radzinski) at Norwich (Brennan). Not on Sportsnet, which

prefers Blackburn-Tottenham, Chelsea, and ManU of course.

Ipswich Town (de Vos) at Crewe (who beat Millwall 2-1);

Millwall (Simpson, Serioux) hosting Sheffield U;

QPR (Bircham) at Nottingham Forrest. (Didn't Bircham get carded before?)

Paul Stalteri and Werder Bremen hope to move up the standings as they

travel to Freiburg. Bremen is 6th in the standings.

And lastly, Julian De Guzman and Hannover 96 (my team!) travel to

Hamburg to meet Hamburger SV.

Marcel de Jong subs into the game in the 15th min. as Helmond Sport wins away to FC Zwolle. The win extends their unbeaten streak to seven games (outscoring their opposition 21-6 over that period) after starting the season with only one win in their first nine games (being outscored 7-17 by their opposition). They now sit 8th in Holland's second level eight points back of the leader, Heracles.

Stalteri plays 90 as Bremen beat Freiburg, 6-0!

FREIBURG, December 4 (Bundesliga) - Defending champions Werder Bremen sent out a message to their title rivals with a six-goal demolition of Freiburg.

Angelos Charisteas was the hero as he helped himself to a hat-trick, while Germany international Miroslav Klose weighed in with two strikes of his own.

Johan Micoud netted the other goal midway through the second-half as Bremen moved onto 27 points for the season.

The defeat means Freiburg have now lost 10 of their last 11 league games and leaves them deep in relegation trouble.

Hansa Rostock's 1-1 draw at Arminia Bielefeld means Volker Finke's side are now joint bottom with just 10 points from their opening 16 fixtures.

There was an early warning sign for the home side when Charisteas tested goalkeeper Richard Golz in the third minute after excellent work from Micoud.

But the travelling fans did not have long to wait before their side eventually went in front.

Paul Staltieri found enough space on the right to deliver a dangerous cross, which was lashed into the back of the net by Klose from 10 yards.

Three minutes later the advantage was doubled.

Another cross did the damage, this time from Petri Pasanen, leaving Charisteas to flick the ball on to Klose who made no mistake from close range.

The points were all but secured just before the half-hour mark when Charisteas finally got his name on the scoresheet.

Klose this time turned provider with a low left-wing cross - leaving the unmarked Greece international to power home the third.

Alexander Iashvili attempted to conjure something for Freiburg on the stroke of half-time but his 20-yard strike fizzed narrowly wide of the upright.

Tim Borowski then hit the bar as the visitors started the second period in the ascendancy and the fourth goal arrived in 57th minute.

Micoud got the better of Freiburg defender Youssouf Mohamad and his cross was easily converted by Charisteas.

Micoud himself then rattled in the fifth just six minutes later with a powerful 18-yard drive before Charisteas completed his personal treble with a six-yard header.

compliments: soccernet.com

League Championship

Devos plays 90 as Ispwich draw 2-2 to Crewe

Derby and Coventry draw 2-2 as well, Pesch scores in the 90th for the tie. Good on him!

And next it was Peschisolido's claims for a penalty which fell on deaf ears, ahead of Steve Staunton unleashing a dipping 25-yard effort which beat Camp but not the Derby goalkeeper's woodwork. Rasiak pulled one back for the hosts when he slotted in from close range after being teed up by Bisgaard, and it was Peschisolido who completed the Derby fightback when he converted a flick-on from Rasiak.

Sheff Uted beats Millwall 2-1. Serioux plays 45 minutes. Simpson doesn't come off the bench.

QPR looses 2-1 to Notts, Bircham is no where to be seen.

Scottish Premiership

Dundee Utd loose 1-0 to Motherwell, Lars doesn't play, but good news for him maybe?...

A nightmare mistake by Dundee United keeper Paul Jarvie handed Motherwell a 1-0 win in their Bank of Scotland Premier League clash at Tannadice and consigned the Taysiders to the bottom of the SPL.

Fir Park midfielder Jim Paterson's 25-yard snap-shot was caught by Jarvie on his goal line, but the keeper somehow allowed the ball to slip out of his grasp and over the line.

Hearts win 3-0 over Dunfermline, but Kevin McKenna doesn't dress

Rocco Placentino was subbed out in the 77th minute as Cavese tied Gela 1-1 in Serie C2-C on Sunday. Rocco scored in the 48th minute. Cavese cling to a 1 point lead in the standings, with 2 games in hand.

Julian Uccello scored in the 41st minute as Savona tied Trino 1-1 in Serie D Girone A action on Sunday. Julian also received a yellow card in the 43rd minute, and was subbed out in the 93rd minute.

Fernando Aguiar played the entire match and received a yellow card in the 87th minute as Penafiel defeated Braga 1-0 in Portugal on Sunday.

Daniel Imhof played the entire match in central defence as St. Gallen defeated Aarau 2-1 in Switzerland on Sunday.

PESCH: LET ME START TO SHINE

259 words

6 December 2004

Mirror

English

© 2004 Mirror Group Ltd

Derby 2 Coventry 2

PAUL PESCHISOLIDO climbed off the bench to inspire Derby to a thrilling fightback with a late equaliser at Pride Park before admitting his was worried that his cameo role had come at a cost.

The Canadian striker joined the action on 68 minutes and scored in stoppage time to salvage a point after George Burley"s men stunned Coventry with two goals in the last four minutes.

Peter Reid"s side had been cruising thanks to goals from Stephen Hughes and Dele Adebola.

But Grzegorz Rasiak pulled one back on 87 minutes before former Birmingham and Sheffield United man Peschisolido added the second.

Peschisolido was left delighted, but quick to let Burley know he wants to be in the starting line-up against Nottingham Forest next week.

He said: "Don"t call me super-sub. I thought I had left all that stuff behind me when I came here.

"I don"t want that starting up again. I"ll always give my best whenever I come on, but I want to start and play all the time, not for just a few minutes.

"It was remarkable to come back like that but we"re always capable of hurting sides when we get our act together."

Burley knows he now has a major selection headache. He said: "Paul is a very important member of the squad. His attitude is first class. But I have to utilise him in the best way possible and he is a lethal substitute."

Pesch just so positive

It may not be a tag he is entirely happy with but there's no doubt Paul Peschisolido generally has a positive effect when he comes off the bench for Derby County, writes Phil Harrison.

The 33-year-old striker strengthened his popularity with the home crowd even further when he pounced on a Grzegorz Rasiak flick to slam home an injury-time equaliser against Coventry City on Saturday.

It took his tally to the season to three goals, all of which have been scored as a second-half substitute.

The first came in the 3-2 win at home to Rotherham United, followed a week later by one in the 2-2 draw at Watford.

But Peschisolido was close to snatching all the points for Derby even deeper into injury-time when a deft header from Inigo Idiakez's cross went inches over the Sky Blues bar.

"It would have been great if that had gone in shortly after I'd scored the equaliser, although it may have been a bit harsh on Coventry," he said.

"But it wasn't meant to be, although we've got to be pleased with a point after coming from two goals behind.

"It was only one bad performance at Preston but the gaffer has told us to stay positive because we are a good side. The table doesn't lie and we deserve to be where we are."

Peschisolido believes Saturday's comeback was just the tonic for the Rams and will see them return to the kind of form they showed before their two previous defeats.

"We needed to get back to how we were before the defeats against Sheffield United and Preston," he added.

"I think it was literally just a blip and we didn't really want to make a mountain out of a molehill."

Big midweek day for Canadians in action (potentially) with Werder Bremen (Stalteri), Millwall (Simpson, Serioux), Tranmere (Hume), Bury (Dunfield), Stevenage (Rogers), and Halifax (Chin) all playing.

Also, thought I'd take this opportunity to post this picture I just stumbled across. About a month old, but I hadn't seen it before and though it was worth posting:

Guest Jeffery S.

Stalteri's Bremen beat Valencia away 0-2 and go through in Champions, 2nd in group. Valencia to UEFA next round. Both goals came late from Nelson Valdez, who played with Canizales in Bremen Amateur a few years back and has risen well in their ranks.

First half Paul had some nice cameos, as Reuters says about a Valencia chance:

"They would have taken the lead in the 35th minute had it not been for some expert defending from Werder fullback Paul Stalteri, who managed to close down Mista with the goal at his mercy after a neat square pass from Pablo Aimar."

Kudos to Paul, unfortunately since Barça is also 2nd in their group we won't see Bremen next round at Camp Nou. Was looking forward to getting them.

Guest Jeffery S.

Serioux was a late m. 88 sub and Simpson was on the bench as Millwall beat Wolves 1-2 and stay in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Archived