Watson joins Whitecaps

Alex

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

It's exciting to see young players with potential, even if they don't perform quite as well as peaked-out veterans. Watching a very raw Taty in 2003 was great fun. He'd lose the ball all the time but when he managed to keep it, it made for some exciting plays.

:)

Just had a flashback of a very young Bent. All piss and vinegar but maybe, maybe about 100 pounds dripping wet. Only ever did this one move with the ball where he'd drop one shoulder, half cut left, hard cut right and then straighten out and head up-field. Became a bit of a laugh in my end of the stands, it was so predictable. But a much loved running gag.

'Caps (Lynx and Impact too for that matter but to a lesser extent) have a whole hinterland out West to cherry pick the best and brightest youth players from. So maybe early in-house development dosen't need to be as vital a priority. Especially on these more constrained A-League/Division 1 budgets.

(Bent? Did I write Bent? Bugger me. HOLNESS.)

Guest Jeffery S.

Late last season when Krammerhead and I had a little argument with Alan Douglas on this board about the Caps, one of the questions is that they always sign players on their way out of football, pre-retirement types, and do not risk and develop talent. Thus even Lynx, a clearly inferior team, send more players to Europe from their ranks.

I think Whitecaps should not be a retirement home, that the club should have a bit more vision and get away from this old boys stuff that has Yallop enamoured as well (drinking buddies get nat team call-ups).

That is very true. The Calgary Storm/Mustangs have sent more players to Europe and Canadian national teams than the Whitecaps have over the last 4 years or so. Krammerhead will jump in and say that's not their business of course and that their priority is the A-League. But look at Montreal, who have had great success in the A-League. I think you need a mix in any successful pro organization and the Whitecaps under Lenarduzzi have a lot of experience but little youth.

I think it's dependant on the home of the player, too. The Whitecaps are bringing back the BC boys which were a big part of the Nats under Duzz/Holger, whereas the Lynx and Impact turn to what they have, which is not veterans, but usually young players. For example, there are very little local ex-Impact players abroad (pre-2002, I think none) and the strong generation of Québec players are the 1980's.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think Whitecaps should not be a retirement home, that the club should have a bit more vision and get away from this old boys stuff that has Yallop enamoured as well (drinking buddies get nat team call-ups).

Give Whitecaps their due for sponsoring over 150 youth players (U16-U13) to participate in the ranks of a professional soccer club. I thought Lynx and Impact were supposed to be doing this too as part of the USL, but they certainly don't promote it. This is the proverbial grass roots. Whitecaps should also be recognized for a business model that doesn't rely on transfer fees. From the MNT's prospective, the elite BC youngsters are free to pursue better development opportunites elsewhere.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Give Whitecaps their due for sponsoring over 150 youth players (U16-U13) to participate in the ranks of a professional soccer club. I thought Lynx and Impact were supposed to be doing this too as part of the USL, but they certainly don't promote it. This is the proverbial grass roots. Whitecaps should also be recognized for a business model that doesn't rely on transfer fees. From the MNT's prospective, the elite BC youngsters are free to pursue better development opportunites elsewhere.

The Whitecaps are certainly due plenty of credit for their very successful Super Y-League program but they certainly are not sponsoring it. This is a user-pay program.

The Abbotsford Soccer Association in BC is also due much credit, they too run an excellent Super Y-League program capped with their Abbotsford Rangers in the PDL.

abbotsford should seriously consider stepping up to the a-league. i know it's a HUGE stretch. but they would corner the market in the fraser valley and probably attract those surrey fans that go to whitecaps games and all those central/eastern valley fans that don't take the 2 hour round trip to see a game.

having a pdl team is fine and dandy, but it's simply not good enough. it simply doesn't develop soccer the way it should. the pdl is not a high enough level to strive for.

Archived