Pipe on the score?

Albert Q

Just finished watching Pipe and company,not too much new for those

of us involved in the game.

As I mentioned in the past,MLS is on the way,possibly more stadiums not just York,although many people don't like K.Pipe you can see

that he knows his stuff.

I thought B.Wilson was somewhat stuck in the past,but that's ok.

I thought G Sansone was adequate but a little too stiff reminded

me of the way some of our players played recently.

F.Yallop seemed to want to divulge more info but couldn't.

So all in all I'd give it a C+

Alex,

I agree with you Kevan Pipe is just a "slick" politician who is just hanging on to his job and perks.

lots of talk about the new stadium in York.......big deal, the Toronto Argo's are going to run the show there!!

and where are these other soccer facilities Kevan was talking about before the U20 Championship???

Overall the show was too short, tonight on "The Score"........way too much to talk about, I hope Greg Sansone has another show soon...

anyone else miss Martine on "The Score" but me.........??

Kevin Pipe was brilliant tonight and should stay with the CSA despite whats others have to say. We could use a few more Bruce Wilson's today,

(future national team manager)? While it did seem that Frank wanted to say more, he should have shot out and said whats on his mind, if he's scared to speak up what hope do we have, all that they could have done was fired him, and still paying off the previous manager i can't see the CSA paying two coaches for doing nothing?

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

The best part of the program was Brian Wilson's interview, especially when he said it was a disgrace the way we tried to qualify for the WC this time, with lack of preparation and failure to stand up to European clubs.

He didn't say that. He said it was the lack of preparation that was a disgrace.

I agree that that was the best part of the program, especially when he said we are not playing England, France or Germany and that the teams in CONCACAF are beatable. Shame the rest of the show failed to follow up on that. His criticism was a bit biased in his desire to see our MNT composed of domestic based players. I still think we could have qualified with a roster of Euro based players.

The best part of the program was Brian Wilson's interview, especially when he said it was a disgrace the way we tried to qualify for the WC this time, with lack of preparation and failure to stand up to European clubs.

He didn't say that. He said it was the lack of preparation that was a disgrace.

I agree that that was the best part of the program, especially when he said we are not playing England, France or Germany and that the teams in CONCACAF are beatable. Shame the rest of the show failed to follow up on that. His criticism was a bit biased in his desire to see our MNT composed of domestic based players. I still think we could have qualified with a roster of Euro based players.

the second (from Trevor Brooks) asking why we can't follow Australia's Europe base model (Pipe said that would be inefficient use of finances, better to have more develpopment camps in Florida and Canada, and more firendlies at home with CONCACAF opposition).

I was actually a bit surprised when my question popped up on the screen. I can honestly say that it was the first time my name has been said on National Television.

Frankly I wasn't very satisfied with the answer. Holding development camps in Canada and Florida will almost certainly exclude participation by many of our European based players and they will always form the backbone of our National Team in World Cup Qualification. The fact is, most of our best players ply their trade in Europe (and will almost certainly do so in the future) and for all intents and purposes ignoring them in favour of A-Leaguers doesn't seem sensible to me.

One of the things that really stood out to me during the qualifiers is that our players didn't really seem comfortable playing together, and most wouldn't make the trip to this side of the Atlantic for friendlies against teams like St. Kitts & Nevis, Aruba, Guyana and the likes. Despite what FIFA's rankings suggest, Canada is more on the level of countries like Scotland, Estonia, and Austria than North Korea, Turkmenistan, and Indonesia.

What they ought be doing is playing the same group of players together as many times as possible so they get used to playing with each other and learn each others habits on the field, it would probably lead to them making and recieving better passes amongst each other as when I watched the games it looked like none of them knew how to pass or recieve a pass.

Paying for a handful of North American based players to travel to Europe is probably a lot cheaper than paying for 15-18 European based players to fly to North America too so I don't really buy the suggestion that it is an inefficient use of resources.

I would have liked to have heard more of Bruce Wilsons thoughts.I felt he showed some passion and when he mentioned how a player like Geordie Lyall has not been given a chance with the National team I couldn't believe it.I've had the same feelings for the past few years.Geordie is from Victoria as is Wilson but I think the point is that there are many Geordie Lyalls all over Canada who need some kind of chance to show what they can do.Wilson was calling for a more expanded talent pool.More scouting in places like Saskatchewan.

I believe that Yallop should be given at least some credit for expanding the talent pool by using players like Peters,Serioux,Simpson,Grande,Bernier,and Occean.These players were pretty well discovered in the Millwall and Hearts tours in Vancouver in July which in hind site was perhaps too late and too close to the August qualifier to allow them to gel with the European regulars from the Belize games.

Nevertheless I think Frank is on the right track.Hopefully in the next few years he gets to see many Canadian players at home and abroad and build the team that this country deserves.

I agree that Wilson made the most sense. Maybe he should take Pipe's job because he sure had some great ideas. I found it great that he came straight out and said that our preparation was absolute crap (but in other words). I liked the idea about having a core group of guys in North America and even a centre in Europe. That makes the most sense to me because unity is our biggest problem. It was even said that CONCACAF countries are not European, they are much easier to beat. We just need a much better plan of action.

What else I found promising was that on several occasions Pipe, Yallop and Wilson all mentioned that they wanted MLS teams in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. The way it was said seemed to me as though its not too far from the truth which is very promising.

The other part of the show that was also good was the new topic of coaching development. Hockey Canada took this strategy on when they had that "hockey summit" a few years back. I think its great that these guys at least seem to be putting an effort into grassroots programs and especially coaching which is a huge problem.

Im was very disappointed with Pipe. All did was list off all positive subjects without even addressing the problems which is what needs to happen because we obviously are not doing to well with the current system, economic or not.

I thought the program was pretty good for the limited time

alloted to very complex soccer challenges in this country.

As expected most of our concerns were not all covered.

Bruce Wilson was passionate and entertaining. He voiced his

disappointment at our WCQ preparations and compared his experience

with the current results. Also pointed out that various coaches

of the MNT came from everywhere with similar challenges and results.

Yallop's portion was an interview with a Score correspondent;

no real surprises. Yes it seemed he wanted to say more but couldn't.

Kevin Pipe ditched most attempts to discuss funding issues (brought

on by Brian Budd) and concentrated more on having a "pyramid" soccer

with 3 teams or so in the MLS, and the Div 1 and 2 within USL (A-League), plus PDL to raise the domestic structure. Therefore

a domestic league is not really in the picture. He continued on the

Toronto "SSS", but did not confirm whether or not the turf would

be grass. "World-class" was how he described it, even though the

Argos would be the MAIN receipient and tenant. Kevin Pipe did not look like a dummy and was very crafty in his answers.

As to why do we not have a Euro base like the Australians, Pipe answered that we already are doing that somewhat with games against Ireland, NI, Czech Republic, Germany, Finland, and Estonia. (Forgot about Wales, Macedonia and Malta!) Also forgot to state that was over a five years. That's nine Euro games in 5 years. Guess Japan has

a Euro base too.

No real challenges to the leadership was brought up by anyone,

nothing about comments by Onstad or Forrest or De Vos, nor echoes

for the removal of Yallop, Pipe, or Andy Sharpe. By anyone.

The show was not that surprising but in many respects confirmed

some of the concerns of the state of soccer in Canada. I don't

really know why Paul James or Brian Budd were there as analysts.

Too bad it wasn't Bruce Wilson or Pat Onstad asking the questions

to Kevin Pipe.

For sure it'll be a long road ... we need to play more, and

maybe the direction will be up.

Pipe said some real stupid things.

In his first answer, to Sansone's opening question as to whether Canada's qualifying campaign was a "disgrace", Pipe said that the fault lies with FIFA because the International Calendar prevented the players getting together for more htan a few days at a time. That was very disingenuous, because it would be a lot worse with Europe having their own international dates. The calendar system includes a full 5 days before extra-continental national matches IF the national team uses it.

Pipe is prone to extreme exagerration. For instance, he said in answer to Trevor's email that Canada has played a lot of friendlies in Europe, "I think a dozen in the last year and a half." There were 3 International dates in Mebruary, March and April of this year where we could have had firendlies in Europe but didn't.

We needed somebody like Neil Davidson to ask the questions and point out the inconsistencies.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

As to why do we not have a Euro base like the Australians, Pipe answered that we already are doing that somewhat with games against Ireland, NI, Czech Republic, Germany, Finland, and Estonia. (Forgot about Wales, Macedonia and Malta!) Also forgot to state that was over a five years. That's nine Euro games in 5 years.

The Macedonia match was in Toronto in 1998 and you left out Switzerland and Scotland, so that's 10 matches.

Actually, what I'd do is count the Egypt, Iran and Libya matches as well (northern Africa should count in this context). All of the matches mentioned here, except Northern Ireland, were played between April 2001 and May 2004, so I think it's more telling to say that there were 12 matches in 3 years.

Was really dissapointed with the whole show. Seems more that The Score is trying to suck up to the CSA for a shot at that "MLS TV Contract". James is nothing but a suck up to pipe.

The show proved that Pipe was a coward in that we could've had games on the international calendar. He also lost it when he dealed with the idea of 3 MLS teams in Canada in the future and thinking that pro soccer can still survive in Canada. And we all wonder why sports in Canada apart from hockey is knee deep in ****.

People dismiss the idea of a European Base like what Australia has without checking their facts. Australia's base in Europe is hoem games at Loftus Road. They recently played a "Home" friendly against Norway at Loftus and did the same in the past against South Africa. We can easily play friendlies in England against European, African, and CONCACAF teams without diving into the red ink in the process.

Pipe and Budd lost it further on when it came to the "pyramid" they propose. That congested blot they talk about is just going to make matters worse and not better. A pyrmaid with a national league at the top at the provincial leagues below it is much more simpler and efficent. Budd seems to for get that the A-League produces plenty of talent and that other provinces are producing talent in spite of the CSA and the lack of a local professional team.

Wilson seemed to be out to lunch. Past nostalgia doesn't get you anywhere.

BTW, Pipe looks like a scary man on the TV screen. Just hope he doesn't get Just For Men in black for his hair and mustache.

Did not see the show but quite happy Pipe is working on the pyramid structure of development of 3 teams in the MLS, plus teams in the the Div 1 and 2 within USL (A-League), plus PDL to raise the domestic structure. Moreover, he seems to have identified one of the key problems with the lack of proper facilities for pro soccer in Canada and hopefully that can be somewhat resolved with the 2007 U-20 World Cup in order to get some good Div 1 facilities into markets like Calgary, Edmonton and others.

I am happy they were are moving in the right direction (but of course I would as I have long advocated this pyramid approach on this Board). And I am glad that the CSA has seemed to have adopted it and identified one of the major hurdles to its implementation (lack of proper facilities). I am also glad the idea of the Canadian league seems dead with the CSA now.

Of course, those that advocate a Canadian league can't be too happy.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Actually, what I'd do is count the Egypt, Iran and Libya matches as well (northern Africa should count in this context). All of the matches mentioned here, except Northern Ireland, were played between April 2001 and May 2004, so I think it's more telling to say that there were 12 matches in 3 years.

You're right! How can I forget about Switzerland? (I know, because

it wasn't televised here.) [}:)]

The Egypt and Iran matches were part of the LG Cup tournament, so I

really wouldn't count them as Euro FRIENDLIES in my contention.

Forgot that Macedonia was in Toronto in 98, but in counting Holger's

reign, that's NI, Malta, Switzerland, Scotland, Estonia, Germany,

Finland, Czech Rep, Ireland, and Wales. That's 10 Euro friendlies

since 1999. I don't think that proves that the CSA has a Euro

base, like Australia, as believed. At least formally.

Also Pipe mentioned the Hearts and Millwall matches as legitimate

friendlies, even though both teams were mainly off-season IMO.

Hey, if you lads got some boots come out to the Spectrum saturday night. Got practice at midnight and we usualy go pretty late. Run a few drills and then scrimmage. Good fun. Very laid back. Just some good old kick about.

Oh by the way when I say boots I mean a turf shoe or runners. WF, you can leave your jack boots at work.

Pipe always seems like he's HOPING for things to happen and rarely does anything. The stadium talks, the league talks and ESPECIALLY the Fieldturf comment he did at the beginning of the year shows how much pull he has. A CEO (is that his title) is there to hold things together and instill confidence. Everytime I've seen Pipe speak, he seemed like a weak, uncertain, puppet.

quote:Originally posted by savagebeast

Kevin Pipe was brilliant tonight and should stay with the CSA despite whats others have to say. We could use a few more Bruce Wilson's today,

(future national team manager)? While it did seem that Frank wanted to say more, he should have shot out and said whats on his mind, if he's scared to speak up what hope do we have, all that they could have done was fired him, and still paying off the previous manager i can't see the CSA paying two coaches for doing nothing?

We don't need anymore Bruce Wilson's. A close friend of mine was a GK with UVIC this past season(2004). Wilson had three goalies, one who was the uncontested starter, and the other two just practiced, because he never dressed a backup.

For nationals, he was going to take two goalies, so in order to decide between the two backups, he flipped a coin. He gathered the entire team arround, and flipped a coin.

That was a classless move on his part, and I don't think that that type of thing is what a "future national team coach" should do. Have some guts, and make the choice.

Archived